Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Anyone have any experience on what size tip to use in a Sprayfine HVLP spray gun to spray Single Stage urethane using an HVLP turbine air source ?
    Also wondering on the speed of the hardener to use.
    I'm looking at the Restoration shop Acrylic Urethanes sold by TCP Global. They offer a medium hardener with their kits.
    The color I'm looking at is Marine Blue 1509.
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/Automotive-Paint/1509.html
    rsp1509.jpg

Ulu likes this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I put up a 10X20 canopy closed it up as well as I could installed some fans in the peak and 4 furnace filters in the sides and it butted up to my garage.
    It gets use as more shop space now. P1010046.JPG

Ulu and Keep like this.
  3. Keep

Keep

Here are some of mine, painted in my garage:

Gas Tank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course it helps its such a small body.

little red 50 and LOST ANGEL like this.
  4. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

A bit more driveway painting on the weekend.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411346926.982059.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1411346948.165541.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

alanp561 and Ulu like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Here's some paint work out of my shanty town booth. P1010048.JPG

little red 50 and thommoina33 like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Just saying.....lots of Hot Rods are painted in a garage or driveway, and lots of Street Rods are painted in a spray booth.

cptn60, da34guy, Keep and 1 other person like this.
  7. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I painted the dash of my '34 Ford pickup on the driveway of my parents house in 1960
    with my mom's Kenmore vacuum cleaner which had a glass jar spray accessory that hooked
    up to the exhaust port of the vacuum cleaner. Worked surprisingly good!
    I have a picture but can't figure out how to insert it with this new weird format. Sorry!

jack_pine likes this.
  8. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

004.jpg
    Here's the '34 dash painted with a Sears vacuum cleaner

loudbang likes this.
  9. cavman

cavman

Oh man! I forgot about them......a HS buddy of mine painted his '55 Chevy with one. Light blue, metallic...you could have used IT for sandpaper...

10. A Boner

A Boner

Sounds like my mother's Kirby.....I think it was about 1 gallon of lacquer thinner to a quart of lacquer primer for my 49 Chevy.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any more coming ? :)

12. cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
    from colordo

13. cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
    from colordo

Now that is just about as sexy as it gets. Can you do that with green?

14. bobjob55

bobjob55

I ...well.... I ....hugh,,,,,, what was your question??????..

drive em like ya stole em

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL My mom had one & I did the same thing on my first car, to paint all the rusty floorboards and inside the trunk. I figured out how to do spatter paint with that old vacuum & it really looked cool in the trunk.

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's why they invented clear coat. ;)
    My first motorcycle came out that way: rough metallic purple.
    But 10 coats of clear later it was like WOW!

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

More, I want more ;) This has been a great thread. :)

18. jazz1

jazz1

Not sure about the hvlp but i sprayed my sons OT truck with the Restoration shop acrylic urethane. I use a conventional gun 1.8mm tip @45psi. Sprayed excellent, great finish and durability 5 years later. TCP kit comes with medium reducer and hardener. Works well.
    OT finished product..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/22832895@N08/6856656065/

19. DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG Would like to share my recent experience with paint. Used PPG Shopline epoxy, then hi-build primer, cheap A HF hvlp gun, 3M respirator and the smaller half of a 2 car garage. Opened the ceiling access to the garage attic, walled off from the house, two 20" box fans with better level furnace filters, garage door rolled down on top and the rest of the opening blocked off. Lots of filters in the airline, protective suit from Home Depot, faceshield, latex gloves etc. I'd painted a few planes in the Navy in the 60's, and sort of remembered the technique and also read anything I could find on the HAMB about painting. Two main thoughts are having a better gun and more room would have helped, but I'm 67, retired and watch the coin. McHenry paint supply in Frederick, MD helped with a lot of good advice. I was going to start with the DP XX epoxy, but chose the Shopline at half the cost and good recommendations once they knew what I was doing. The pics show the part #'s. Overall, the epoxy (4 hr pot life) went on with 2 good wet coats (light gray-all they had for color) and the hi-build drove me nuts with a half hour pot life. I had to clean the gun out between refills and tossed it when done. Whether that's typical for that primer, I don't know, but I was able to get two good coats down and will do two morwe once the bondo is done and sanded. I changed the furnace filters after each day and my neighbors never noticed. I'm OK with the results since I did it all myself and comfortable that I can get a decent look when and if I color coat it. Now I have to put it all back together and bondo on after I block sand the high build.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Built this on the driveway and painted it there too, Blue epoxy primer base with Grey 2K primer and a 4" & 2" roller, Its surprising how smooth it is, most people think its been sprayed !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alanp561, Hank37 and 38nailhead like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lets keep this rolling (or spraying ;)) along guys :D

22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finally laid some epoxy primer on my '36's doors, rear fenders, running boards & hood, as well as a few small things. I spent days media blasting the damn things and I really feel like I made some progress.......finally !!
    [​IMG]

23. i removed my pics.carry on.....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  24. You buddy better smarten up and wear some protection or he won't be painting/breathing for long! Beautiful work but man I can't believe guys still spray without any safety gear when we know how deadly these products are.

25. Nice Job-BUT-Painting images of the Blessed Mother does not negate basic safety practices with hazardous material-I see your friend wore gloves to protect his hands- for the love of God get a mask!

26. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

Wow. Safety nazis are showing how an out-of-balance approach shuts everything down. You made your point about safety. It is also printed on the materials and when I buy these hazardous chemicals, the people at the paint store ask me to be safe, too.

So can the safety-minded reading this thread stand down a bit, knowing that they are not singlehandedly responsible for letting Hamb'ers know that paint is dangerous?

This is a thread for showing home paint jobs, not a ruse for luring people out of the shadows so they can get lectured on how dangerous paint is.

I am not critical of the message but very annoyed with the frequency and manner of delivery. Enough, already.

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Rolled and Tipped with boat paint:

[​IMG]

...still need to do one more coat and then cut and buff. Should look more than presentable when done.

D-Russ likes this.
  28. That is looking good-how many coats do you roll on and how long do you let it cure before you cut and buff ?

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This is my thread, and I do NOT approve of your use of the "safety Nazi" term.
    Some of these guys who have posted about safety are my friends and as far as I'm concerned safety in anything you do should be a primary consideration.

That belief comes from a lifetime as a professional tradesman and now a trades educator.
    If it isn't worth doing safely it isn't worth doing.
    Out of balance approach ?
    Don't be an idiot, the type of guy who ends up dragging a little cart with a bottle of medical oxygen everywhere in his later years because he can't breathe without it.

To post pictures of spraying paint with absolutely no respiratory protection is just stupid period.
    So NO, IT IS NOT ENOUGH ALREADY !!

With that being said, that's my rant and this thread has been fun so far with some neat pictures of projects done in the spirit that I intended to begin with.
    Lets carry it on and have some more fun.

alanp561, BigO, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. smidje

smidje

cool thread. I made a few new friends in the neighbourhood.... :)

[​IMG]