Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Official Tube Bending Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Jan 12, 2009.

1. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Are you guys going to have this stuff at AWS/Fabtech in November?

2. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you for your interest in our RDB-050 tube bender. There are many advantages to the RDB-50 over other manual benders on the market.
    • The highest capacity of any manual bender on the market
    • 3 bending speeds
    • 180 degrees in one shot, you do not need to stop every 40 degrees and re-pin or start the bend over
    • 2 1/2" OD capacity
    • Aluminum bronze bushings at all pivot points for a long service life
    • Heat treated pins
    • Anti-spring back lever
    • Fast and easy hook arm inserts for different size tube, no U straps to mess with
    • Replaceable aluminum bronze counter bend die insert
    • Affordable die sets are available in 90 or 180 degrees
    • Best bend quality on the market
    • Made in the USA
    • Ship UPS in 3 boxes
    Here is a quote and a link to the machine specs. We are offering a 10% discount on the bender and all die sets for all orders before June 1st. Please read over the specs of the machine, watch the video and you will quickly see why this bender is better than any manual bender on the market. We have a ton of dies available for this bender. They are available in 90 and 180 degrees. Here are some common die prices, but remember, we have a ton of them to choose from. These are just a few. Call me if you have any questions.

RDB-050 $805.50
    1" x 3" CLR $114.30
    1 1/4" x 4" CLR $154.80
    1 1/2" x 5" CLR $202.50
    1 3/4" x 6" CLR $243
    1 5/8" x 6" CLR $250
    [SIZE=+0]2" x 6" CLR $250.20

[SIZE=+0]2 1/2" x 7" CLR 443.70[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe7xkG70zsc

http://www.bii1.com/benders/manual-rotary-draw-bender-050.php

http://www.bii1.com/images/rotarty-draw-benders/rdb-050-large.jpg

http://www.bii1.com/images/rotarty-draw-benders/DSCF1839-large.jpg

http://www.bii1.com/images/rotarty-draw-benders/DSCF1836-large.jpg

http://www.bii1.com/images/rotarty-draw-benders/DSCF1832-large.jpg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363948&highlight=baileigh

[​IMG]

Baileigh Industrial’s newest bender, the RDB-050, was designed from the ground up to deliver world class bend quality in an affordable package. This unit is aimed squarely at the serious home fabricator who may not be able to justify a larger hydraulic or programmable bender but still wants the quality and performance Baileigh Industrial is famous for.

This revolutionary new design incorporates features previously seen only on much more expensive benders. Heavy duty bushings incorporated at all wear points for incredible service life and increased bend capacity. This is a bender for life!

Three speed operation makes quick work of any bending job. Simply change pin location to adjust the amount of movement per “pull” (4, 8, or 12 deg.) – no confusing or time wasting disassembly required. For very light weight materials the operator can bend in one smooth pull all the way to 200 deg. This new leverage action along with an incredibly rigid framework allows for huge bend capacity – up to 2 1/2” OD (.120” wall) Mild Steel or 2” OD (.120” wall) Chromolly Tubing.

A simple anti-spring back mechanism assures precise bend control and increased operator safety. At no time does the operator have to “hold” the arm in place and be subjected to dangerous backlash, an important consideration when bending the likes of Chromolly. Tooling changeover is fast and easy as no disassembly of the machine is necessary. Simply pull a few pins and slide in the new tooling – it’s that easy! The whole process can be accomplished in a matter of seconds.

Once the part is completed simply slide the finished piece out of the machine. Our innovative design eliminates the need to disassemble the unit or remove tooling to release your work piece making the bend process clean and simple. Round tube tooling is available for either 90 or 180 degree bends and incorporates the same replaceable aluminum/bronze counter die inserts that Baileigh Industrial is famous for. Hook arm inserts for varying tube sizes assist with fast tooling changes. True to form, our tooling remains the best in the industry.

The RDB-050 comes complete with the stand, handle and degree dial included. Simply add your desired tooling sizes and you can be up and bending in no time. It is UPS shippable to keep freight charges reasonable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you have any questions about the bender, how it works or a shipping quote just shoot me a PM or reply to this thread. Give me a call or an email [email protected]

Best regards,
    [/SIZE]

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Not sure yet.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Here's what I use to notch, and fit the tubing with, and if you you have a drill press set up right (speed vs down feed pressure) the bi-metal holesaws will last a long time, even without using any coolant/lubricant. (But now I need another drill press):D
    [​IMG]

Right angle die grinder with a expandable mandrel, and sanding drums.
    [​IMG]

The final fit!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

sanding drums :rolleyes:

Good idea

6. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Hole saw and sanding drums work well, but it's slow going and a lot of work if you want to get a good fit. And starting over from scratch after spending 30 minutes on a joint is not fun. But I did the headers and complete dual exhaust on my '32 5-window that way and the end product is 100x better than anything that's commercially available.

7. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

A cool trick to speed up the cope'n n fitt'n is with a Hand held belt sander.

I have one that use's a 1.1 wide belt - one with a .750 & one with .375.

You work the joint with the nose of the belt -

Yup - it all takes time

& it AWAYS shows.

3M sells some KILLER belts - The 36G ones will move the material pretty fast.

Very NICE job Ken..!

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

As many of them as I've done with the hole saw, and sanding drums I've been getting them done pretty quick, I don't have to use the sanding drum on every tube for the final fit, if you do it enough with the hole saws like I do you can get the majority of them fitted on the first cut.

9. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Have you ever used a computer program that prints wrappers for your notches?

10. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Nope - But Im willing to.

11. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I use a Port-a-Band, and sanding drums.
    Fishmouth the tube with the port-a-band, then pretty up the radius with the grit.

I have not had any love with holesaws. I have that same style hole saw, mine is a Pro-tools. And as Baliegh said its troube close to the radius. I find thats always where I'm wanting/needing to notch. I converted to the Port-a-band, and its so fast....and I dont need a 2nd drill press....

BTW I bend with a Pro-tools 105 manual bender setup with a Homebrew hydralic kit. Rarely use it on hotrod stuff, but I've built a handful of offroad chassis, and tons of offroad roll cages.

13. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

15. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Bend Tech pro....you will love it

16. BMS

BMS

First post. Signed up so I could ask this question.

If you had to buy a die for each size tube, is there a CLR size that is a good one to start with? At $200-$300 per die, I can't afford a 3", 3.5", 4", etc CLR die for each size tube.

17. murfman

murfman

What he said x elevnty billion:eek:

Off topic pic, but I bent this bumper up for my truck, the main bar has 7 bends in it, as it follows the contours of the grill and headlights. I made my own bender, and bought the Bendtech "Pro" edition. This bumper is the first thing I've ever bent, and it came out perfect on the first shot. The "CUT" feature lets you print out a paper wrap for the joints. I used my plasma to cut the joint close, and a 4" flap disc to finish it off. It is unbelieveable how easy it is. If I can do it, ANYBODY can.
    Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

What will you be building?
    Roll cage?
    Tube Chassis?
    Dragster?

19. BMS

BMS

appreciate the reply. Planning to build small off road buggy. "shifter" style kart. maybe a chopper. The chopper plans I have call for 1.25"x.120 tubing with all bends made with a 4.5" CLR. Kart will probably be 1" tubing. Buggy probably 1.25" or 1.5" tubing.

It will all be pretty rough as I'll be a first time builder for this stuff. It's more about creating and doing than doing it 100% correct. For now at least.

20. what kind of lubricant do you recommend for the dies or tube while bending....most of what I bend is 1.625 x .134 wall on a 6" clr.... (roll cage stuff)

thanks

21. murfman

murfman

I use spray lithium grease, it comes in an aerosol can, and is easy to clean up.

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I use the spray lithium grease also, it works great, and it's also a lot less messier than the cheap tub of wheel bearing grease

23. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

x2 on the lithium grease. :D

Good bending lube.

24. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Here are some common dies we sell the race car crowd:

Racing die package:
    1 x 3
    1 1/4 x 4
    1 1/2 x 5
    1 5/8 x 6
    1 3/4 x 7

These are common dies, but any set can be made. Let me know if you have any other questions about bending tube or tube benders.

25. BMS

BMS

26. I will give the spray grease a try.....thanks

27. Newspaper works real good as a lubricant in my hossfeld #2....just lay it around the die & then it's sandwiched between the die & the tube. I use a piece on the following die, the big radius die & also where the main die pinches the tube to the lock. Carl Hagan

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

We got a tip a while ago to use plastic bags. they work good, and don't mess everything up. We have a large paper cutter set up to cut it in strips, although that's not neccessary. we use 'em till there's nothing but crumbs, and then get a new strip.

29. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

What kind of bender? Does it have a bronze counter bend die?

30. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Yup, it's an Ercolina. how'd you know?