Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Thanks for the top secret brew recipe, I'm gonna try it sometime just for kicks.

2. Still observing. Going to be one long-ass thread by next July! Keeps going like this I'll bring the boxing gloves. Scott, you've been changing avatars more than a woman changes underwear.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  3. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Your car fits the event with the tires that are on it...don't get too scared by the posts today and last night.

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015

powrshftr likes this.
  4. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Scot's a woman??!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. powrshftr

powrshftr

Maybe if I changed underwear more often I could actually GET a Woman...lol

6. powrshftr

powrshftr

I piss and moan a bunch sometimes,but no Bean,I'm all Dude.

So please quit sending me dick pics on your cell.

You are a mess,but I love ya Bro!

Scott

Bean Dip and 30dodgeboy like this.
  7. powrshftr

powrshftr

The avatar change is dedicated to you RadFord. :D

Scott

8. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Damnit!...I think I need "hooked on phonix"...reading is HARD!!!
    .........but did you like the pics? :D

30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!

They were ok,I guess.....But is it supposed to be all lumpy like that..?

Ok,we gotta throw the anchor out here...This shit is going WAY off the rails!

Bean Dip likes this.
  10. Thanks Scott,it had been a couple days since your last one. The Radford is a surname, I don't believe I've ever seen a 'rad' Ford.

11. cool let me know how it works for you. we use it every pass on the front engine dragster. it has gone 262. the team clutch man is a old stock car guy and currently runs go carts. for these guys its all about tires. he came up with the brew formula. it puts oils back in the tires. it also works real good on a set of tires that are old and dried out. it will put some life back into them.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Dang racer you kill em almost as good as I do. Any way I was a little confused on the tire prep mix.

So now I have been thinking instead of you know the cam the heads the bla bla and relearn a new engine program maybe just working on the rear suspension I did notice my 60 foot was the best on the best pass. (show me I know) I think Ric asked about this a looong time ago.

So now I have a swap meet ladder bar and some coil overs but I am thinking that a snot nose punk would not have this shit unless he stole it in 66.

What to do??????

Sorry man the hops were flowing.

13. whats the question on the mix. the sixty foot times are every thing. ladder bars and coil overs can do a great job and are easy to install and tune. your life depends on the heim joints. do some research and don't go cheap. the coil springs need to be the right pound rating for your car. if they are too firm the chassis unloads and the car will leap frog. i mount a go pro under my car to watch the suspension. adjustments can be made after watching the shocks and coils. the loading and or unloading will be seen in a way that is unlike watching video shot from any other angle. its a great tuning aid. the alston web site has some good pics and installation tips. its worth checking out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  14. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're gonna see one next July in Byron:)

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  15. Saltflats, for now, the only real benefit the ladder bars & coil overs will give you in a high 12 sec. car is reduced weight, and that would be minimal with all the mounting hardware needed, especially if your using mild steel..
    You should be able to go pretty fast with nothing more that spring clamps on the front half of the spring, and some econo adjustable shocks. Remember, NHRA legal A/S & A/SA stockers can run in the 9.60-9.70 range @ 135-140+ on 9" X 30" slicks, and bolt on ONLY traction devices, ie, Cal Track bars, slapper bars, Super Stock springs etc.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was thinking about the Super Stock spring just because my right rear spring has just about had it.

17. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Keep dreamin Scott lol

powrshftr likes this.
  18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I say a set of super stock springs and an adjustable pinion snubber would do the trick cal tracs work real good but they are way more expensive than a pinion snubber That is the combo I've ran for years on all my mopars and have had very good success with it a friend and I used to run a 69 charger with a 451 stroker car ran 10.90's never had anything more than a new set of super stock springs and a adjustable pinion snubber and a set of slicks

19. Ss springs are very good. As said earlier clamps on the front can help. Some experimenting is helpful. Aluminium front bushings can also help. The only draw back to the ss springs are to be consistant over time they do need to be replaced when the 60 times go away. They do wear out. Reenforce the snubber. I have bent several right down to the yoke.

20. If you want to save money, take your existing springs apart, clean all the flat surfaces that rub together, and lube them up with some water proof bearing grease. replace the front bushing with aluminum units that have a steel sleeve (lube it up too) that rotates inside the aluminum bushing, where the bolt goes through. gets some fresh rubber ones for the rear, or make your own alumimun/steel sleeve units and make some spring clamps out of 1 1/2 wide x .250 thick flat stock just wide enough to have a 3/8-7/16 grade 8 bolt on each side of the spring. Clamp the front half of the spring as far back from the front eye as you can go without getting to close to the tire (probably about the third leaf). and you've got your own home made Super Stock spring for little money. As I remember your car was not sagging in the rear, so I don't believe you need to re-arc, or add any leaves, heck I'd lower and inch or so if it were mine. Take as much front end travel OUT of the car that it will still hook with (you can put and adjustable snubber in the upper control arm), and this will pick up the 60'/ET guaranteed! Also run as much air in the rear tires as you can, and screw the rims, if the rim moves inside the tire, its wasted 60'/ET. If you have/get adjustable rear shocks, try stiffening the compression on the right side, to resist "tire climb" up into the wheel well causing the car to drop the right rear on launch, and stiffening the extension on the left side, which will take some "tire drive" out of it which aggravates body twist on launch. You may also be able to run a pound more or so of air pressure in the left rear tire, because of driver weight, and pinion torque driving the left rear into the ground. Remember, any wasted motion you can reduce, while still maintaining adequate traction will result in better 60'/ET. Get the carb real crisp, and leave as high as you can on the convert without pushing the car through the stageing beams, and causing you to red lighting, this will preload the chassis, and also get rid of wasted motion, plus your 383's relatively small stroke crankshaft will appreciate the help getting that big tank off the starting line. If you run a power valve in the front of your carb. set it 1 1/2 inches below the vacuum reading at your leave rpm (if you have 10 inches of vacuum, use and 8.5 power valve, if you have 8 inches, use a 6.5 power valve, if you have 6 inches, use a 4.5 you get the picture.

30dodgeboy and saltflats like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks for all the sound advice. The one problem with the rear springs is I run a air shock on the right rear to hold it up I did add one leaf to it but it was just some more junk I think.

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

That was just cold Brother....lol

:)

Scott

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

And it begins.....lol!

Where should I start....Hmmmm....?

If you show up with a sick hanging out of your motor again next year,I think I'll have a GREAT view of the tailgate....While I'm helping push the truck back onto the trailer!:)

What was the deal with that anyway..?
    Isn't that what you used to do back in college when you were with a chick and didn't wanna be interrupted...put a sock on the door knob...?lol!

Man,July 2015 is just WAY too far away!

I can't wait to race an hang out with all you knuckleheads again!:D

Scott

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Touché Scott The reason for the sock was to keep the oil off the windshield from all the blow by the motor had it was tired but no more the Willys has a all new 311 inch blower motor with a crower roller cam virtually no compression and a lot of boost from the freshened 4-71 the ol lakeshore is gonna be shaking when the "neighborhood nightmare" rolls up to the line lol

powrshftr and enloe like this.
  26. powrshftr

powrshftr

311"...?Whats the bore and stroke look like on that combo Wrench?
    I'm guessing that is gonna be one high winding,swat in the back with a 2x4 type of powerband on That little monster!:)

And yes,I'm probably gonna need a whole lot more than just a bigger cam in the Ol 289 to run with a lightweight,aluminum bed,bigger cubic inch,supercharged Willys War Machine.....

....But I read a book once where some kid named Dave went up against a big son of a bitch that was supposed to be the toughest guy on the block too.
    I think I'm gonna take a lesson from the kid and step up to the plate and start swingin'!;)

Scott

27. Scott, make sure to turn on your nitrous bottle after your done slinging that rock! :)

powrshftr likes this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric,
    There shall be no N2o here....I'm not Surfer boy with the white barracuda...lol

There may,however be some 5000rpm launchin',and 7500rpm powershiftin' goin on.

I still don't think it would help me stay with Wrenchbenders truck though.....He's a pretty sharp Cat and put together a nasty little period perfect combo to make some noise with. :)

Scott

30dodgeboy likes this.
  29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks Scott while I appreciate the compliment on my ol beater it's not no where sorted out just yet but by the time meltdown 2015 is here it will be a force to be reckoned with and yes it has been named the "neighborhood nightmare" by the old lady who lives across the way lol

30dodgeboy likes this.
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's awesome!:D

Hope she doesn't cause too much grief for y'all...I'm lucky,we have half a dozen old and/or fast cars on my street,so everybody is cool with it....or they move away pretty quick!lol!

Scott