Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures THE MUNSTERS AT THE DRAGS: "HOT ROD HERMAN" On TV: George Barris Meet The Munsters !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HALL OF FAME LEGENDS "HALLOWEEN SPECIAL" :
    "GEORGE BARRIS MEETS THE MUNSTERS" !
    [​IMG]
    Special Notice For All My H.A.M.B. Friends...A Halloween Special!
    FROM 1964-1966
    one of the hottest shows on TV was THE MUNSTERS ! BUT, did you ever see the"HOT ROD HERMAN" Episode ? Well, I accidentally happened on to it the day I was set to Interview GEORGE BARRIS !​

George gives the real story on THE MUNSTER COACH and THE DRAG-U-LA Car...which he actually drove in this Classic Episode ! ALSO, you'll see plenty of Munster's Pix & Memorabilia, and the kids will love it !​

( PS: Grandpa Munster makes a cameo appearance especially for our WebSite; and, listen for George doing a "wheelie" !! )​
    JUST CLICK-ON-THIS-LINK TO BEGIN: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html

Listen & Enjoy !

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    LOU WELLS and biggeorge like this.
  2. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

As always Cool stuff Jonnie!! ...

3. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, very cool I loved the Munsters and still do!!!!!!

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Evel & Sonny:

Thanks so much ! THE MUNSTERS will always be a part of our Americana...and the "HOT ROD HERMAN" Episode was an "Instant Classic" with gearheads like us here at the H.A.M.B. the World over !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]

To All Of My Fellow HAMBERS...In Case You Missed This Earlier In The Week:

It's a Special "HALLOWEEN, 2010 TRIPLE-TREAT" That I've Put Together For All Of You To Have Fun With !

From the Munsters: "HOT ROD HERMAN" with George driving the Drag-U-La car just HAS to be heard !

PLUS, you can hear the Rock & Roll Classics "Monster Mash" & "The Haunted House" ...With a Special Halloween Mix that will blow you away ! (Hint: Turn Up The Speakers ! )

AND, check-out some GREAT Halloween Films & Videos ! Some that you won't find listed anywhere else !

How do you start ? Just Click-On Here http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html And You're On Your Way !

Ride on, stay safe and...Have A Spooktacular Halloween Weekend !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Tonight's the night ! Happy Halloween !

7. Been watchin' episodes of the Munsters all day being played by WGN on the cable. Great episodes, but no "Hot Rod Herman" unfortunately.

8. flthd

flthd

Man, I remember ditchin school watchin the munsters that was a great episode and a great show.

9. tcb-1

tcb-1

yep, wgn has had them on today. got my 3 1/2 year old to say that Barris was God, so all wasn't lost......

thanks Jonnie for the linkypoo

10. Every time I've tried you site I dont get any soud until today!Now I'll spend hours listening to the stuff I've been tryng to for months!Thanks for this site and all the time you devote to it!

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

tcb-1: You're Welcome ! That lil' one of yours has got a great future of Rods & Customs ahead !

56KUSTUM: Glad you finally got sound. Usually that's a problem with a browser OR firewall...and you should have an Adobe Flash Player installed (They can be downloaded online & they're free.)

There's also a Button on the Top Portion of the Left Hand side on the Front Page that says: "First Time Visitors: Important Info" !, that may help some of those who've just found the HOF Legends Site. I try to make it as easy as possible to navigate the Site...I put it altogether myself so that I can make changes and additions as fast as I can.

ALSO, thanks for the kind words !

12. The Munsters!!! One of my number one collectables. Love the show, have them all. I've collected and enjoyed Munster memorabilia for quite awhile now and don't see stopping anytime soon.

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

To All My Friends Here At The H.A.M.B...

HALLOWEEN , 2011 !

[​IMG]

I can't believe it's been a year since I first started this Thread, but the date's the same...12 months later !

IT ALL STARTS WITH: GEORGE BARRIS & THE MUNSTERS EPISODE: "Hot Rod Herman" ! George is a consumate story teller, and he told me about driving at the Dragstrip during the filming & popping a wheelie...which was just way-cool ! (You'll hear George tell it better than I ever could !)

But, wait, there's more: I've revamped a few things and the entire "2011 HALLOWEEN SPECIAL" is now online, and if you love Hot Rods, Music, and, Movies then you'll enjoy the entire Special and the other parts can be reached on George's Page.

The "Munsters" story is one of my favorite of all the stories George has shared with me during the years...and it's only right I share it again with all my friends here. PLUS, you'll hear an Introduction by GRANDPA MUNSTER !
    Just click-on this link, listen, and enjoy: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html

PS: The kids will love this too ! Everybody loves dem "Munsters" !!

14. I'll come back after work.

15. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

I'm a big fan of the munsters.
    Hotrod Herman was one of my favorite episodes.
    too bad that show didn't go on for more than two seasons.

16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

dirtydixon,

Right you are ! They did a couple of Movies, but the Series itself was just great, and I'm sure they could have had more fun scripts to take advantage of the individual "quirks" in all of the characters. The cast was perfect !

BTW: I met Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) many years after the show was cancelled. He was a nice guy, and really had a very long career. Remember him as the Judge in the "USED CARS" movie with Kurt Russell & Jack Warden ?

Jonnie

17. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I remeber The Munsters lol and did i get hooked:D

Attached Files:

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Von Richthofen,

That's a cool pic ! Yea, we all got hooked ! It was always on my "must see" list. That's why actually recording George telling this story one-on-one was a super pleasure for me and a real trip back in time.

The man has truly "done it all" !

Jonnie

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Many thanks for the eMails from yesterday !

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cool thing about George is he has a mind like a steel trap: He Remembers Everything !

AND, yes, hearing Grandpa Munster in this story is worth listening to on its own !

Just click-on this link, listen, and enjoy: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html

Jonnie

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HAMBERS...

[​IMG]

Still plenty of time to get in on the fun if you didn't see this earlier !

It's George's story of what happened at the Riverside Speedway during the filming of "Hot Rod Herman". (The kids love this and wanna hear it more than once !!)

God bless, and have a GREAT HALLOWEEN WEEKEND !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO ALL MY FELLOW HAMBERS...HALLOWEEN, 2012 !

It's that time of the year again ! If you are new to the H.A.M.B., or, missed it before, ya gotta hear this !

Lots of fun, short, sweet, and, Informative History from GEORGE BARRIS on the "MUNSTERS": "HOT ROD HERMAN" Episode...in time for HALLOWEEN FUN !

Here's the Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage.html

Enjoy !

22. Hi Jonnie,Just thoiught Id mention this,Herman Munster's son- Eddie Munster from that show,has just very recently moved back here in Northeast Missouri to live,in Macon Mo where he once lived in his early life......

23. Funny stuff, I was born in Macon, maybe I went to school with "Eddie" ha ha

24. We had a man in our church in Baltimore, Steve Takacs, who served in the Navy with Fred Gwynne, the guy who played Herman Munster and was also in Car 54: Where Are You? Steve remembered Fred Gwynne as one of the sharpest minds he ever encountered, but a very down-to-earth person with a hilarious sense of humor.

25. Deuces

Deuces

Fred also played Judge in the movie: My cousin Vinnie..... "What's a yout"???... Hahahaha..:D

26. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Many thanks for the Info ! I didn't know that. But, a few years ago, one of the toy companies produced an "Eddie Munster" doll which was really cool.

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

27. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Yes, and he was always good at whatever part he played !

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Did know Fred was in the Navy...but it was great that Steve knew him.

Off-mike, George told me that he really enjoyed working with that whole crew...and Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) was a longtime Pro.

I met Al years ago when I was Program Director at KADI FM/AM Radio in St. Louis...he was a wild man ! But, very nice to talk to and meet.

So, when George talks about Grandpa losing the race, it brings back some memories of Al to me.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I got a call and some eMails about NBC-TV's reboot of the Munster's with the "Mockingbird Lane" show that was on last Friday.

I won't go into whether it's bad-or-good, but I've seen it and I'll stick with the Original. It's like trying re-customize & re-work the sheet metal on the "Hirohata Merc" with '56 Packard taillights, or the "Ala Kart" with a '41 LaSalle Grille...and saying, "Wow, don't they look better !".

Nope. I'll always enjoy Fred Gwynne, Al Lewis, Yvonne DeCarlo, and, their Crew. When I hear the words "The Munster's" it brings back those warm memories of fun and a time that was more pleasant in many ways.

And, if you search for it, you can find the "Hot Rod Herman" Episode somewhere online...and, see and hear, George do that "wheelie" !

Jonnie www.legend.thewwbc.net

30. Al Lewis was on Mankow's Morning Madhouse radio show every once in a while. He played a dirty old man, pretty funny.