Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Moon Argument

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I love them, I plan to have a set that I can take on and off of my 34 Pickup when I get it on the road.

2. b-bob

b-bob

They aren't for me, race cars only.

Montana1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. @Ryan's "buddy" that doesn't like Moon discs.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know but he's handy to have around when you are changing an engine lol.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I bought a set for my A coupe in the 70's. Spoke with Dean too which was a thrill for me.
    I went to a local car gathering prouds as can be. A fucking male black lab came up to the car on the opposite side from me. When I got to look at the other side.........he had lifted his leg and pissed on my Moon Disc.
    Dog pis and raw aluminum.......etched while I watched.

6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Arominus

Arominus

Not all hip hop is "uh" and "bitches" my friend.

cretin likes this.
  8. I thought this was going to be about whether the moon landing was a hoax or not.

Montana1, pat59 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This Stude Commander (Coupe w/ 'B' pillar) is a 'ringer' for partner Ted DeMello's Cobalt Blue Stude! (1959-1960)
    Tires were 8.20 X 15 rear, 6.40 X 15 front...otherwise this was that car.
    We profiled cool in it...I'd do that one again, it looked so good! :cool:

rod1 and neverdun like this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, chew on this: The late Dean Moon, before his death...Last time I saw him, anyway...1985, at his shop at Santa Fe Springs: I wanted some OLD Moon discs, 15". Dean HAD a set he'd found upstairs while looking thru his recently acquired stock from Chuck Potvin. He agreed to sell them to me, $100 cash. Great. Original stamped on the outside edge, complete with 'Moon Screws'! (self tapping #6-32, 3/8" long)
    Anyway, I was looking at an old cast aluminum MOON plaque, (Original, NOT the yellow background) and Dean told me that a 'certain astronaut' pushed a stake into the dirt of the moon surface, with a MOON EQUIPPED plaque attached to it! It was a 'promise' fulfilled. He swore to it...like I'd see someday. Ah, that Dean...

Chili Phil, Tman, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

They look great on the appropriate car. But never the snap-on ones.

swade41, Tman, Montana1 and 2 others like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I dunno, on the cars they look good on, something else would probably look better. Kinda like how cars that look good in yellow would look better in red or black. They do look good on some of the race cars, but that's the point. The form is the function. But as for most of the street cars pictures, a more decorative cap, hell even a 57-58 Plymouth spun cap, would look better.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is another shot of the same car. I built this car to race at Bonneville and I thought a set of Moons were a pretty good choice. And, I'm pretty sure they add about 10mph out the back......

(I might have made that last part up...)

[​IMG]

-Abone

Flipper, rod1, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Gentleman and a scholar... Agreed.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Another one you shouldn't have gotten rid of... Fucker looks fast as hell just sitting there.

16. slowmotion

slowmotion

Never liked 'em, still don't. Salt (where they belong) sure. To me on a street driven car, it's like the owner said fuck it, I give up. I've yet to see a street driven car with them, that would not look better with a proper set of appropriate wheels. Just my opinion, not worth the 2 cent minimum, and no offense meant to any of you disc lovers out there.

Tman likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg In 67 when GM offered the "disc brake" wheel with the beauty trim rings that went to the edge it gave the guys something to pop rivet the discs to and screw them into the steel or aluminum rims. I used them on trailers and it was a lot easier to check air pressure. The stainless ones with the rim clips all the way around are an ez way to go too for trailers and such but I would not use them on a car.
    They are the first things that come off my LSR roadster when I get home. The are aluminum and the salt will turn them to alka-selzer.....

18. Well they are bouncing a laser off something up there to prove it happened. Ya never know...;)

19. I always put them on a totally inappropriate car. The blue chevy had 7" ralleys on it...couldn't be seen with those wheels...the pickup had some rusty Cragars and I was bucks-down at the time.
    Here's a tip: When your screw-on Moons squeak with wheel flex, never gob clear silicone on the rim and screw them down.....the squeaking will stop but you'll bend up the edges of the caps trying to pry them off....just sayin.
    53truck.jpg 52chevy_1981.jpg I have a set of high-crowned 16 inch screw-on Moons slated for my 40s IHC pickup wheels. IHC wheels have the 4.5" bolt circle but are 16X4".....just right for bias plys!

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Moons in a church parking lot. If they ar OK with the church, how are you going to go against them? jack&wayn.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  21. tywester1955

tywester1955
    from sc

22. flamingokid

flamingokid

Moon discs are like high heels for women,sometimes they make the look,other times they look stupid.The do appeal to the streamliner guy in me.

23. Moon discs just say ''Competition''.
    Simple beauty.

24. I . think they look great on the right car with the right stance

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

I personally think that while Salt Flats are purposeful and appropriate on the salt flats. They, as well as baby moons on chrome smoothies, literally suck the life out of everything they are put on. That doesn't mean I hate them, But I like the cars they are on, less. They are like a nice crispy french fry, straight out of the fryer, but someone forgot the salt.
    Salt flats=no salt. Baby moons with chrome smoothies=no ketchup. French fry+mustard=Slingblade.

26. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Any kind of caps would look good on those two. Jack E/NJ
    4.jpg

27. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

28. .........and I've never understood full moons with whitewalls.....Moons say competition and whitewalls say custom to me...mixing them is uncool.

Tman and tb33anda3rd like this.