Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Markley Bros BELLY TANK: A Pictorial History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 1, 2009.

1. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks like Rudy Perez

2. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff Todd ! I want one .

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

4. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  5. The Speed Nymph Pits ... Speed Week 2006:

Speed Nymph Pits - Speed Week 2006.jpg
    image by Dan Parker

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think I see Rudy again.

7. @scrapiron - I was kinda waiting for you to share a higher resolution scan of your 1964 program ... but I guess you don't want to share :rolleyes: ... so here's a lower rez copy I found on the Internet:

1964 16th Annual Bonnevile National Speed Trials Official Program Cover.JPG

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just found this thread, better late than never. I was a few weeks away from my 12th birthday when I bought that December '62 issue of Hot Rod and became a lifelong fan of that car. If you look at that cover is the blue car the same one Seth Hammond would later run?...............This is the type of thread I had hoped to see when I started one that got canned because of remarks about the current owner. These cars are special, and their history needs to be shared with the young guys as well as ones that were there back in the day.

9. Bodger45

Bodger45

Great!!! Thanks for sharing!

10. freudiger

freudiger
    from California

A real hero. One of mine.
    The rear engine modified would look great with a freudiger & cline motor.
    The team is great.
    Freudiger & Cline racing
    "50"

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Does Harry know that?

12. Thanks for taking the time to post this great thread! A very good read! I just visited ol Deuce (Randy) out in Billings and saw his tanks. Tanks were the wildest machines on the salt IMO, especially the Markley Brothers!

13. C'mon HAMB! ... I know some of you must have more pics of the Markley's #360, Ernie Pereira's #543, and/or Dennis Varni's #909 belly tank ... please share 'em!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around. THANKS so much for not only starting it but bringing it back to the top again. A five star thread for sure! I'll look thru all my Speed Week coverages and see if I've got any photos to add. Thanks again for the awesome thread!

15. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I have a few pictures on my other computer with me in the car. In the meanwhile here's mine. It has been strongly influenced by the Markley/Varni Car and runs a trans that Dennis sold me. Wayno

Attached Files:

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Didn't the axle eventually get moved to the very front of the car to give better room in the cab? And a little more wheelbase. Yours has it in the more rearward position, I see. I woundered why.

17. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Just great stuff. Thanks!

18. Denise ... thanks for the kind words ... any luck finding more pics of the #909 belly tank @ Speed Week?

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sorry bud, I've kinda been busy out of town and actually forgot about looking. :eek: Glad you asked though as I will try to remember to look tonight.

20. studhud

studhud

Holy crap awesome content in this thread! Diggin it
    Dave

21. RAY With

RAY With

So much History and storys to go with all the information it will take a while to digest it all. Thanks so much for your time and effort to bring it to us.

22. rockey marino (@Rusty Junk Ranch) - Just saw your post :eek: ... you are correct ... and it's more than just a rumor that Varni's #909 belly tank lakester has been retired :(

As you are probably already aware, Dennis is having Joe Cassanova build an E-class (184-260ci) Blown Gas Streamliner (E/BGS) to get him into the "300 MPH Chapter" of the 2-Club ... the 'liner will have a body very similar to Vesco's Turbinator ... and will be powered by a twin-turbocharged, 24 valve, DOHC, experimental GM Inline Six! :cool:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  23. axle

axle
    from Drag City

What an amazing thread - the best for the week. I've got to get this guys collection put in my historical Race Car building at GNRS !

24. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Just got back from Bonneville and saw Charlie Markley. We talked a bit and he said he knew about this thread and was quite taken by the "nice" things that have been said about him and his brother "Bones". Charlie has been a hero of mine for many years and I'm proud to call him a friend. What an easy going man but he still has the drive to set more records, keep an eye out for the #360 crome yellow roadster next year!!

HEMI32 and 402BOSSMAN like this.
  25. Michael,

As you know, Charlie Markley is also one of my LSR heroes ... so it is/was* very cool to hear that he
    has seen (& enjoyed) this thread.

* NOTE: Last month, several HAMBers PMed me to let me know that Charlie had viewed this thread ... and I gave them my contact info in hopes that Mr. Markley would provide some additional photos, info, and/or stories for this thread ... and of course, correct any mis-information that might have been presented in this thread.

It's also great to hear that Charlie will be returning to the salt with the #360 Fuel Roadster ... I guess I'll have to break my own "rules for this thread" and post a few pics of it:

Markley Bros #360 Fuel Roadster.jpg #360 FR on the course.jpg #360 Fuel Roadster - Speed Week '84.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  26. Cshabang

Cshabang

i ended up with one of the 18in steelies that was on the car at one point...its slightly tweaked....it use to be in my kitchen when i lived in NY..on top of my fridge with an NOS Rader....

27. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Hi guys,
    I thought I'd clear this up for you, it's not Rudy. It is Dennis Dobbeck also known as Little Dennis who was a crew member on the Tank. Dobbeck is a very talented machinist and all around good guy.

Attached Files:

HEMI32 likes this.
  28. Here's a 1965 aerial view of the Markley Bros. #360 Belly Tank Lakester ... waiting in line with the Summers Bros. "Goldenrod" and the Herda-Knapp-Milodon streamliners:

AerialView.jpg
    Aerial view of the Summers Bros Goldenrod, Herda-Knapp-Milodon 'liner & Markley Bros tank.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  29. redram7

redram7

Parked in the swap meet area of the LA roadster show, 02 or so with my red ram powered 34 3/w Inoticed a guy with his head stuck into the engine bay. "You are either a red ram guy or an efi/hilborn guy" i said. He remarked that he had "fooled" around with some of these motors in the past. Are you one of the Markley brothers I asked, Im Charlie he said. we talked for about half hour. Nice guy, humble.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. psychocross

psychocross
    from Seattle