Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ***The "Malcolm" Model A Roadster Build* (Updated 01/23/11)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Dec 23, 2010.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Junior Stock: That's the Morton roadster in his garage. Been there, it's quite a spread.

2. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Looking good Nick, your choice of engines won't disappoint you. I have all kinds of junk, if you see anything in my pics you need holler at me.

3. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Hi Nick,In this very early stage, it already has a "right on" look to it. Bruce:cool:

4. Nick!! Just caught the thread, nice start man! Don't have any snappy suggestions, looks like you've got 'er planned out nicely, great to see ya goin' on it. Enjoy the build, its half of the fun. Shop time...turn the tunes on an' go at it! I'll be checkin' back on your progress......

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty fucking sweet garage.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My only pieces of advice would be, "No more question marks". You obviously have a good eye – just do what you're going to do and give us the updates. :)

7. Untame

Untame

I miss the horns, but I'll be watching this rod come together.

Untame

8. flathead48

flathead48

Im way behind, just found this thread. This thing looks awesome so far Nick keep it up. Matt Neneman

9. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Looks good. Would love to do a build like that someday. Thanks again for the truck. It gets driven when ever I get a chance. Just got a T5 to put behind the y-block, hopefully lower the rpm's doing interstate driving.

10. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Nick,

What parts are you missing? Maybe I have it.

Let me know and I will dig around the shop.

John

11. Chuck R

Chuck R

Nick,
    Looks great! I really dig the whole set up and the look you have achieved. The chassis looks like money well spent. What length wheelbase will you end up with on this car?

Keep posting
    chuck

12. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

who roadster is this? looks real nice!

13. Of all the inseration photos you posted I liked this one the best and it looks like you are headed that way. Wish you would have gone for the Y but it's your car. ;)

[​IMG]

14. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

the roadster is coming along real nice ,i like the list you got going, seems to make a build go smoother ,keep on push'in ,i hope to get to the salt this year for the 1 st time !!!!

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

You're definitely on the right track here, Nick!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I appreciate the offer, Hugh --- Thank you!

Hi, Bruce! :)

Tim! You are exactly right --- I'm enjoying the time in the garage with tunes in the background. Soon enough, this thing should run and drive!

I appreciate the feedback, Kevin -- Thank you!

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

John,
    Right now, there are just some smaller parts that I'll need.
    Gas tank, wiring harness/kit, door latches, etc. I appreciate the offer and will see you at the GNRS!

Chuck,
    The wheelbase will be approx. 108". A good friend (Andy Leach) is helping the the rear suspension installed this weekend, then the exact dimension will be set.
    See you at the GNRS?

Tim,
    I know you, of all people, would prefer a Y-block :)
    I'm also a huge SBF fan, but someday I'll have a car with a built Y-block in it.... someday!

18. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Photobucket is acting up, so I attached the photo (click on photo for larger version)

I set the engine/trans (302/5-speed) in it's approximate location to take some measurements.

Andy Leach (good friend here in Omaha) has offered to install/weld in the rear suspension components and possibly the motor mounts and steering box mount this weekend. We'll see how much we can get done and I'll post photos on Sunday!

Attached Files:

19. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Good thing about the extra wheelbase is you shouldn't have to cut much,if any from the firewall.Looks good!

20. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

what, are you running out of vice grips?

really, it is good to hear your making good progress.

21. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Nick, I'm happy that you are making some progress on your roadster. We can tell it's going to be awesome. Love the heavy axle, and the 302 is a good choice. Can't wait to see it in person. You have the "eye" for things, so keep up the good work. If you need anything (parts and or labor) just say the word. Gary

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Made some really good progress this weekend, thanks to some great friends! Andy Leach (cal1954 on here) offered to help work on the chassis at his house. We had originally talked about getting the rear suspension in and it kind of snow-balled into engine/trans. mounts, steering box mount, front (and modified rear) shock mounts, and re-working what I had done for the wishbone mounts.

We got many of these things done on Friday night/Saturday/Sunday. There are still a few things to finish up, but I'm REALLY excited to see this progress and get a little closer to an actual running/driving car!

Another great friend, Jason Holland, came over on Friday night and today to help, also.
    While Andy was raising the rear C-notch 1", Jason and I worked on the front shock mounts. Andy had already made threaded bungs for the front shock mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jason (slightly) drilled out the holes on the shock mounts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Raised rear C-notch work by Andy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. You are hauling ass on this thing! Slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad, Ha!

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Andy made these nice mounting jigs to get the rear axle in place and ready for rear suspension pieces to be fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I worked on getting the Welder Series engine mounts trimmed and in place for Andy to weld up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I had installed wishbone (tie rod) mounting tabs on the bottom of the frame. Once we got the front suspension installed/mocked up in Andy's garage, we decided the wishbone mounting points needed to move up into the frame. They were angled way too 'up hill' towards the front of the car. I cut off the mounting tabs and they were used, along with some sleeve material that Andy had laying around.
    This change also corrected the axle caster to approx. 8 degrees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 'Happy Ending' to a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

28. S.F.

S.F.

29. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Good to see more progress, love the work.

30. I love the A grille - I've never been a fan of '32 shells on Model As. Maybe drop the grille and lower the hood sides so their top edges meet the cowl seam - looks like a few inches difference. That would bring the grille down over the axle. You need a custom or modified top/tops anyhow so that's no big deal - might make it much swoopier up front with a bit of a slope as well.

Steve