Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "lost" pics of my Dad's '53 Studebaker

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sinister, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I lost my Dad in '94 and with him all the info on this car. Of all the cars he'd owned and raced, this was his favorite. I heard MANY stories of the spankings this car handed to unsuspecting street racers. My sister was kind enough to dig out the photo album and scan these for me. Even though it's completely beyond my means, my new life goal is to reproduce this car as I have no clue where it went when after he sold it.

Thought I'd share a bit of history with you.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

razorback, e z i, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey...cool...nice to remember dad....studes rule !!

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Go 4 it,it will be great fun doing it.:cool::D

4. Thanks for sharing. Love those Studes!
    Wish I had some of my Dad's old cars.....

5. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

6. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

My dad had one of those Studes with a dual quad caddy in it that had a lot of work done to it. It must of been pretty quick for in its day with a $1000 dollar engine (lots of $ back in the day) My father said it was ported and high compression with all the bells & whistles

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

the subtle pinstriped flames are bad ass. Good luck on your journey

8. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that is the stude we all love---go for it

9. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Great story, you had a really neat Dad!
    KK

10. I love the line,,"It's a Bomb"

Big Hemi I can imagine thee look on the faces of the guys he put on the trailers. HRP

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Those Studes are great !!!! Never saw one with a hemi before !!! I recall a few "Studillacs" in and around Buffalo, in the 50's, but nothing as bad ass as a hemi !!!!!

4TTRUK

12. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Awesome car , awesome story, thanks

13. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Thanks for all the nice comments.

From what I understand his mom bought this car brand new and he took ownership of it a few years after. He then moved from Michigan to So.Cal and got a job at Blair's Speed Shop in Pasadena. This is where the "transplant" took place. He had Ed Roth stripe it (as he did several of his cars) and spent the nights terrorizing the streets with it.

My next step for now is to clean up and colorize the profile photo for my sisters.

When I was young and showing an interest in cars, I remember asking him why it didn't have mags on it like his 'Vette, and he laughed and said "they didn't have mag wheels when he built it".

14. lawman

lawman

Very nice car !!!

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Sweet Stude!
    A clone of the build would be incredible. Until such time that you can afford that, there is a 1/25th scale model kit available of the 53 Stude which could make for a fun project and somewhat of a 3d dedication to the car.

16. I have a buddy in southeren Oregon with a similar 53 but his has a smaller dodge hemi with a muncie 4 speed.
    Great cars.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Your dad's Studebaker was really cool. Maybe it still is. Good luck with your plan to do another one like his.

18. Way cool!!!!!!

19. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I like it, thanks for sharing your story!

20. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Thanks for sharing, Stude 53-54 are dreamcars for me!

21. richie rebel

richie rebel

great story,thanks for sharing,i know your dad kicked some ass with that hemi,back in the day.........

22. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Hey, Rocky- Your friend's project is awesome! Thanks for sharing the photo.

The one thing that would make me second guess a decision to attempt this project would be that my dad was somewhat of a innovator. If he were here and had his car, I doubt It would be built the same way as it was. My guess would be that it would more along the lines of Jack Chisenhall's '53 Cool 200 Stude. I remember in the mid-'70's when I was drawing the cars that had 12 inch shackles and air shocks with the tires sticking out of the fenders, he had me drawing them low and "tubbed" long before the "pro-street" trend took off. Of course, at the time I didn't get it, but it did subliminally stick somewhere in my skull bucket.

Anyway, all I know is I really dig old hot rods. Keep the dream alive, fellas.

23. My old man bought a 54 Commander new in Neb. he was a hot rodder back in the day, jazzed it up a bit was lowered twice pipes, continental kit. then painted red with black top and black in the side coves, good looking custom back in the day! He sold it in Moses Lake Washington back in 57 or 58 I wounder if it is possible still around?? any one up there seen such a car. I'll try to post a few pictures. Big Al just turned 84 and still talks about that car and the hoodlum he was in it! someone email me I'll will send some pictures [email protected]
    Doug

24. Midget25

Midget25

Great story, I love it when someone wants to recreate something their Dad did in the past. Can only hope my boys may do that in my memory. Thanks for sharing............

25. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Sinister -

In case you don't realize, the dash board pictured in the magazine above is that of a 55 Stude, not a 53 or 54 (Champian or Commander).
    Keep that in mind if you do decide to reproduce the car. That sounds like a fun project to do.

Mike

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not the world's biggest Studebaker fan but that first picture is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

27. Greasy64

Greasy64

What an awesome Stude! Very cool that your family has this in print. I lost my Dad very recently and he was known by his car, a 50 Olds coupe.
    Pasadena California is still home to many car people that were around in 1959. Your Dad, Danny Roberts and buddy Doug Robinson might be remembered by some of them after seeing these pics (especially a rear view of his Stude LOL) and bring some more stories. I wish you well on your build.

28. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

29. eppster

eppster

Great story !!!

30. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Mr Mike-

thanks much for the informative info on the dash. I wouldn't have picked up on that until I had the opportunity to sit in one, and then I could have easily missed it. Much appreciated. I have a lot of homework to do since I haven't had access to these photos in well over 20 years.

Greasy- I'm sorry for your loss- I was only 24 when I lost mine. I see you're from Monrovia- That's where I was born and raised! Truth be told, we didn't have the best relationship, but we were like best friends when we were in the garage. I tried to soak up every bit of info he was willing to share or teach. I was infected with the bug before I could walk, and never been able to shake it.

When I was about 3 (ish) he would put me on the hood of the 'vette (the car in my avatar) and have me squirt the fuel into the stacks to get it fired, It would shoot 2ft high flames and I would scream and run back into the house.

We are losing a generation who pioneered what we consider tradition. Learn what you can and pass it on.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Feel free to add a history lesson or two for those of us who could use some schoolin'