Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Lee Pratt '40

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not in the same league, much less the same ball park as Coonan. Coonan doesn't have to shoot with gimmicks like 60 year old lenses to make art. He just does it.

Hell, there are two or three people that have replied to this thread that are better photographers than me. And that's not me being humble - that's just how it is.

Bizarre, no? If we hook up, I'll try to post some pictures of the p-cars somewhere... And while I don't own any vintage Porsches, I am a long time closet freak and admirer of them.

I guess Magnus makes two Porsche celebs on the HAMB. Rod Emory (Yes, Neal's grandson) is also on the HAMB. He builds some of the baddest outlaw 356's on the planet. Plus, he's a hell of a guy. @Rod Emory

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Bizarre? not at all. I bet you guys have alot more in common than you think. Let us know what becomes of it, if anything at all

On a side note...Lee's 40 is perfect

3. Stoker32

Stoker32
    from so cal

I found that 40 in a shed in Chino Cal. many years ago , It had the 303 olds with the column shift, then the car was yellow with a chrome dash and the crestliner steering wheel.
    I had got it running and driving and enjoyed it for a while than sold it to Lee.
    Lee did a great job restoring it.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I agree, '40 Coupes are in their own realm. I bought mine from a friend, it was in terrible mechanical shape...Worst thing was the shiny black Coupe had a '46 Ford rear window grafted in.
    Sure compromised its identity!
    322 Buick nail, '39 box, Columbia rear...Fast out of the hole, so all of 'em got a look at that ugly rear window!

5. Earley

Earley
    from NYC

I photograph watches, knives, and food for a living. All I do all day long is take photographs. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on what makes a good photo and what doesn't. I also agree that photography is an art. But it is a technical art.

Using a wide angle lens on a hot rod is "gimmicky." Using vintage Leica glass that is still technically better than 90% of the modern glass available today is not gimmicky. While I don't always love your composition, you have a knack for focal lengths and a really good grasp on depth of field. That's technical stuff.

Your post processing is what I really love. You've developed a style all your own and a lot of pros don't even do that.

I follow you on ryancochran.me. I've seen you progress. I honestly think you are getting really proficient. Again, not kissing ass just telling you my opinion.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Agree to disagree... But thanks for the compliments. Seriously.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Welcome back. Your writing is, as always, perfect in my mind. You have a wonderful style that English teachers love and cherish. I am sure your education helped but the mind does the thinking not the training. Now for the 40 coupe - one of my all time favorites and I have seen it many times. Great photos! We expect more in the future from this great site.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my all time favorite 40 coupes. He seems to be able to take anything and get it just right though.

I didn't post on the thread about your dad's passing because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. From personal experience of loosing my oldest son at age 19 25 years ago and loosing my dad to cancer at 83 12 years ago next month I can safely say you never "get over" loosing your dad or in my case a son. The pain gets a bit less over time and you don't think about reaching for the phone to call them as often but you still think of them first when certain situations come up years later simply because you know in your heart that they would have the answer or that shoulder to lean on. That's called being normal even when we don't try to pass ourselves off as being "normal". Take care.

9. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Gosh this man has good taste! Perfect Shoebox, perfect '58, and perfect '40 Coupe!

10. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw that car when it was fresh 20 years ago. I think it was on one of those Americruise drives that Rod and Custom put together. Beautiful and very inspiring both in person and in these photos.

11. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Such a great car. Anyone know what kind of steering wheel is in there now? I know it's Ford -- but what? Thanks!

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Goddam. Starfire caps are the PERFECT touch on that car.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Would a filled and peaked hood, frenched plate and nerfs be "too far"? (not that its gonna change anything...;)) Honestly, to my eye, this car is fully on the 'hot rod" side of the line. I'd rather push closer...
    Love the dash, have seen a bunch of them done that way as I have been looking at '39's and '40's in the '57-'60 mags...

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Trying to recall, It doesnt show in Ryans photos, but I believe this car has a '41/'48 fuel door on the left rear fender, right?

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

08-24-0910.jpg Hmmmm, nope, nothing at all. Fuel filler in the trunk? LOVE the voltage reg and tach sender and wiring, both in this photo and in Ryans.

16. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Never mind — figured it out. 1955 Thunderbird steering wheel.

17. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

nice nice nice!!!!!!!! clean,not over did,right on it