Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey FB thanks for taking the time to post those great images. I liked them all, but I think the black channeled '34 coupe and the bare metal 5W were my favorites. If you don't mind I may even use some of your images in up and coming magazine/book covers.
    Thanks Garry, I am glad you like what I am doing.
    A book? mmmmmmmmmmm Not sure where I would begin. A lot of twisted hot rod tales in this life of mine!!! But then again who would read it. From this thread there only appears to be a few people interested in offering encouragement; so I don't think a book written by myself would do well. Should I have said that, maybe not; but what the hell!

Geoff aka wohdaky

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. Use all the pics you like mate. Yeah that black '34 was my favorite too. I went back to it 5 or 6 times and just stared at it. I never saw anyone with it, would have been good to meet the owner. It looks like it has a story or 2 to tell.

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Rita and Tony head down to Melbourne some time today, as Tony will be having day surgery tomorrow to have the alignment frame removed from his lower leg. They will be staying a couple of days. I wish them both well and will talk to them later next week.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

509garyd and fuzzybear like this.
  4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey FB, that EK wagon was just crying out to be the feature on a lil book cover!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

5. Love it. Good luck from me too Tony if you're reading this.

509garyd likes this.
  6. JAWS

JAWS

Geoff...do you recognize the late 40's black chevy coupe in FuzzyBears last photo sets..?

By the way, for that T5 see if you can find the tail shaft housing and shifter stuff for the forward shifter. It will suit your 3W better. Over here, the T5s with that shifter location come in Chevy S10 pickups, the smaller size trucks. I don't know what they would be in on your side. The ones with the 4.3V6 are all the tougher WC versions.

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I thought you would like that Custom Rodder cover FB. Thankyou for providing the images.
    Hey Brant, I thought that Chevy coupe looked familiar, but the paint through me. That's your old car coupe?
    Brant thanks for the information on the T5. I have done lot of research.
    I have a WC version out of a Falcon ute. It has the big input shaft and from quick measurements the input shaft is around 1/8th" ( 3mm ) different in length to that on the Muncie. I don't know about the the spigot diameter, but that's nothing.
    The Chev bellhousing bolt pattern T5s are pretty thin on the ground here. But the Ford pattern on the gearbox I have here, won't be an issue. I have already designed in my head how I will go about the adaption to the setup behind the Cadillac.
    I don't know that we got any T5s with the forward mount shifter, however from measuring I don't think the rear mounted shift will be an issue.
    A bit of information for Aussie guys, I believe someone in Australia is about to or is making a forward shift mount extension housing for the T5. I am not sure who though!

Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    fuzzybear likes this.
  8. JAWS

JAWS

Yup. I heard rumor it was over there somewhere. Hope the new owner loves it as much as I did and I hope it serves him well.

I had a T5 in it for a few years. That .62 fifth is un real. I had 4.11's and it would get in the mid 20's mpg. With the big cam.

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yeah I hear you Brant. My rear end is 3.25, I'm only getting 12 mpg with the Muncie. From the numbers on the T5 I have to go into the 3W, it to is .62 O.D.
    I have also got a Pentronix electrical ignition conversion on the way. Every little bit helps.

Geoff aka whodaky

10. JAWS

JAWS

Keep your points handy...

Never leave the key in the on position without it running. It will smoke the module in seconds.

11. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Were and when do I pre order the book , money waiting don't under estimate yourself , from one of the silent majority who is interested .

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Brant, I figured carrying points and a condenser as a back as essential. But didn't think about the leaving the ignition on whilst not running. Thanks for that.
    Thanks tub1 for the encouragement and support. But don't hold your breath on the book.
    They say inspiration comes in many forms. Well a hot rod I have always loved, is the late Jim Ewing's Superbell coupe. It has given me the love for track nosed hotrods. When Tony and I started planning on what direction'The Last Grasp Special' would take, one of my thoughts was the track nose style and the rest as they says is history; well maybe in our case 'evolving history'.
    So this morning I was wanting to do another magazine cover and came across the October '76 issue of Street Rodder and knew immediately that this cover would form the basis for my next cover.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's another cover I did earlier.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

14. I came across these old service station maps today. I thought you'd dig the old artwork on the cover, Geoff. [​IMG][​IMG]

Spoggie and 509garyd like this.
  15. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hi FB. Those maps are so cool. When I do a road trip I take maps. I don't need no stinkin GPS. Having said that I do research my trips on the computer, so much information that a map doesn't have.
    I think I may be able to do something with those images.
    I just finished another cover. I am pretty pleased with it.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Spoggie, 509garyd and fuzzybear like this.
  16. Yeah I don't think they'd be much help if you were trying to find your way but they sure are cool looking.

17. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Just a note to thank everybody on here that were concerned regarding our car accident . Rita recovered quick and going real good , as for me my injuries they were pretty bad and I had pain in my leg and ankle that went on for the last six months .With three operations and the last one I had on Monday all is healing and pain free .hoping for full recovery soon . I went through bad days with lots of down days, if it wasn't for family and grandkids and close friends and my special mate Geoff doing these cool hot rod covers and doing cool stuff on our forum really made my days better so thanks to everyone that kept this forum going , and if you guys enjoy this let Geoff know he is doing great work .

18. That yellow coupe freaked me out at Mildura in '81, '83? Good to see it unchanged. Keep it up Whodaky, I always look at this thread from time to time.
    Your coupe is so cool. I like the carb shroud. Hopefully it won't take off in the breeze.

19. Great to hear from you Tony and to hear the good news that both Rita is now all good and it sounds like your getting better now as well.

Geoff I just got a chance to catch up with your recent posts properly and to view all of these covers your doing, as always they are very creative and they look great, thanks for sharing them with us all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Good to see you posting again Tony and yes Geoff's posts in this topic have been interesting.

21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Tony good to hear from you in here.
    When we talked on the phone yesterday, it was great to hear the positivity in your voice. Having phoned you and Rita at least weekly this last 3 or 4 months, I have heard all the highs and lows that you have been through.
    If my calls have been a help I am glad. I am also glad that you are enjoying what I and others have been presenting on here.
    Spoogie Peter Vansittart's sport coupe has always been one of my favorite hot rods. So today I thought I would pay tribute to it on one of 'my covers'.
    No the little 'rain bonnet' won't blow off, as I have a tricky but simple locking mechanism that holds it in place.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a new one from my images of Australia series.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Spoggie, 509garyd and fuzzybear like this.
  23. That one would make a great poster.

24. JAWS

JAWS

Glad you and Rita are on the mend. Can't wait to watch the shenanigans start on the coupe again...

Please do a deuce grill for a photo so I can rest easy...

33-34's with Deuce grills are the epitome of hot rods to me....As Geoff had the track nose coupe make an impact, a story in a little book about one such hotrod, did me in. Someday I'll make one myself. Until then, I ask everyone to do it....lol

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here you go Brant, I know it's not on a '33/'34; but it is a ' 32 grille. Another from my Images of Australia series.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Ok I remembered this cover. I only added the image from the reliability run. The rest is as it was printed in Spring '67. I think that blue 5W may still be on the road.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Drewfus and 509garyd like this.
  27. Lyn Arrowsmith's coupe has to be one of my all time favorite hot rods. I was lucky enough to get a near mint copy of that issue of custom rodder at the ballarat swap this year for $10 (almost knocked another bloke over when I saw it).

There was a thread on one of the aussie hot rod groups on Facebook a while ago with a heap of pics of the car. Apparently Lyn still owns the car today, he chopped the top some years ago. It is supposedly being rebuilt.

28. F&J

F&J

You Aus and NZ guys are certainly on topic with the true old style builds. Awesome posts on this thread.

I'd move there, but I tried driving a RHD car here and could not even get in my garage door. I had to keep getting out of the car to see if I was too close on the LH side. I'm serious

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thank's for that FB. I think the later version of the Lyn Arrowsmith's coupe may have been featured in the Australian Rodder annual a couple of years ago. I will have a look later and maybe do a Custom Rodder cover in it's later guise.
    Thank's F&J, we try to be old school, but that doesn't mean we don't utilize modern technology and parts where necessary.

Geoff aka whodaky

30. The Lyn Arrowsmith coupe is still on the road, and currently Black.

Hi Geoff, correct, here's a quick 'snip' from their story.
    LynArrowsmithCoupe.JPG

509garyd and kidcampbell71 like this.