Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. One thought to consider on the '57 210 HT... There are a few pieces on it that are 210 HT specific - like the C-pillar stainless. The Belair HT versions are different. 210 HT's were made in much fewer numbers so those pieces can be more challenging to track down, but some of them can be had from the tri-five year Pontiac 2dr 860/870 model 2dr HT's (not the Starchiefs, though which are more like the Belairs). I'm talking about the trim at the beltline & up...

The reason I mention all that is the driver's side C-pillar stainless (210 piece) looks fairly... mangled.

food for thought...

Scott/Gotta56forme

2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Alright ill keep that in mind. My main worry with this car is the frame. The right quarter obviously is rusty but the rest i dont think looks too bad

What'cha got in there, kid?

3. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I've been chasing a 1 owner '58 DelRay 2dr sedan for a few years. 6cyl/3 onda tree with 17k actual miles. Its still not for sale. Errrr

4. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Wow. I wouldnt want to part with it either

5. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Can a tri-5 expert tell me what to look for on the frame? Do they usually rust out?

6. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Ya wanna see pics??? It has @ 13k miles instead of 17k miles.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      127.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      184.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      198.5 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      112.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    triman62 likes this.
  7. flatford39

flatford39

Yes frame rot is a problem. Not just in tri 5 Chevies but all older cars. It's fixable. I live in Illinois as well and that car would be on my trailer right now. If you are not going to buy it at least PM me so I can. I think you just found the deal of your lifetime.

clunker likes this.
  8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Just wow. Im in line behind you :D

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Even with no engine/trans?

10. Sporty45

Sporty45

Small block chevies are fairly easy to find, and usually pretty inexpensive. If you are looking to keep this car for a while, then I would grab it, concentrate on learning to do the body work, and save up some coin for an engine and tranny. You can have a nice car here for not a shit ton of money! :cool:

clunker likes this.
  11. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1469279365.337275.jpg

This 56 is for sale up here in New England right now. No engine, no trans, no interior, needs major body work, needs frame work, but claims to have a clean title. It's a screaming deal, here anyway. Nearly twice what that 57 is being offered to you for.

Not that I'm suggesting you buy this one, just for comparison.

That $2000 price tag might just be someone trying to do you a favor, even if the paperwork is missing. They are selling the 58 for 18k, so they know what the 57 is worth. Tri five Chevies aren't the kind of cars you buy for a couple thou, change the plugs and off you go, people have to spend $$$$$$ on a heap, then they are worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Just saying.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Squablow likes this.
  12. Sporty45

Sporty45

What will he do... [​IMG]

:p

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

This is what I'm wondering as well, maybe the seller of this '57 is just cutting you a sweet deal because he wants to see a young guy get into the hobby cheap, the car is a relative bargain, although it still needs a great deal of work.

If that is the case, you really need to ask yourself if that is the car you want and if you are able to finish it, because buying it to make a quick flip is a dick move. However, if the seller honestly only wants $2K for it and doesn't care what you do with it afterwards, flip away. (or build it).

flatford39 likes this.
  14. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I've never had much money for my hobby cars. That's reality for a lot of us. In this last three years, I've flipped several project cars. I always clean them really well, remove any really ugly "repairs", and sometimes pull out nasty upholstery. Sometimes I try to gather up the parts needed. If it has a drive train, I get it running. For my efforts, I give the next guy a good idea what he's got, so he's got value, and quite often I double / triple my money. My first flip cost me a couple hundred dollars for a rusted out 52 chev pickup. I parted it out for a grand, now I'm flipping a 46 Ford short door that I have about 10 grand in, all of it from that first couple hundred bucks. Every 5-6-7 chev has value, even if you take it all apart. Doing the dirty work adds value eliminating the unknown for the next guy, and I enjoy figuring out the car, even if it's not one I like. As far as frames go, lots of them get frame replacements anyways, so on 5/6/7' s, g body chevs, or mustangs, clear title is more important than the frame for a lot of guys.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

the seller doesn't know i'm a young guy as we haven't talked face to face just thought text so maybe he just got it cheap at the auction and wants it gone... or maybe it has some serious issues.

16. flatford39

flatford39

You can buy a crate motor for $1,500.00 that will bolt in. Transmissions are everywhere. That's the least of your worries. I have a rebuilt 350 four bolt main in my garage just waiting for something like that.

17. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

so i should go for it? i honestly wouldn't keep it long term but i could have my fun with it since its not completely gone, put glass and a drivetrain in it, put new seats and carpet in it and then sell/trade for a 58 or 59 once i get the 57 driver quality.

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

the only problem is... if i decided to buy it i would have no way of bringing it home. I don't know anyone with a trailer big enough that could haul it.

19. flatford39

flatford39

Uhaul rents both trailers and trucks big enough to bring it home. The first step is to go and look at it and determine if it's something you can deal with. You need to go look at it at least if your serious...otherwise your really wasting a lot of broad band here.

20. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

It's been said, but in your situation I would only buy something that you can drive home.

Get $3000 together and broaden your type of vehicle search. Get something old enough that will not depreciate.

Then you practically have money in the bank and will be getting familiar with driving and maintaining an old vehicle.

These clapped out pieces you have been looking at are losing propositions.

1959Nomad likes this.
  21. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

In the words of Christopher Walken

"If you want to learn how to build a house, build a house. Don't ask anybody, just build a house."

Just jump in, you'll figure it out or find someone to help you when you get lost. Better to learn on a car that you plan to sell than one you plan to keep forever.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff, clunker and enloe like this.
  22. flatford39

flatford39

Any update here??? Did you ever go look at the 57???? If your not interested in the car maybe you could pass it on to someone else.

23. Maybe he has discovered girls by now???? be a hell of a lot better off and a lot more fun..LOL

24. Sporty45

Sporty45

Yeah, but not cheaper! :p

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Hey, i can agree with that lol. No but im on vacation right now but im planning on making a trip next week to look at and possibly bring home the 57. I've already been looking at power plants for it. Are there any pitfalls to putting a truck 283 in vs a car 283? I've had several offers of mid 60s 283 engines for it but well have been truck engines. Also what would be my cheap trans options? Id like to go 4 speed but auto is fine as well.

26. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

And if i do get it, ive never been a fan of the 210/belair trim so it might end up a little something like this

A little less of a rake though and maybe 15s in back and 14s in front, and probably stock color tropical turquoise[​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  27. flatford39

flatford39

I don't think there is a difference between truck or car 283's. Certainly not the pick up series. It would be a shame to put in an automatic. It's already set up for a stick. Four speed Muncie rock crushers are all over the place but command big money. You could even put in a 3 speed to get it going and then upgrade to a 4 speed down the road. Glad your going to look at it and don't forget your camera.

28. Sporty45

Sporty45

There is no difference between car and truck 283's, at least not in physical dimensions. I'm not sure if the cranks on the 283's have a pilot hole in 'em for a standard tranny if they were originally in an automatic configuration, but smarter minds than mine here will know.

29. Girls are an interesting diversion, but a car can be forever! I want to see more of that HT. Hope ya get it.