Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. nothing to really report. Been pretty busy with other work, Just working on the little finish details.

I painted the rear end from gloss black to low gloss black. got the rear juice brake stuff on, made lines for the rear end....I've done some other stuff I've forgotten, but nothing cool. I need to make the master cylinder mount this week.(goal) Then I can finish up the front brake lines. Just about done with it. I think I'm 20-30 hours or so out from driving. I hope it's awesome.

[​IMG]

2. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Don't know how I missed your build! Looks great man!

3. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Need to paint the front spring and final install front suspension.
    Retrieve speedo from rebuilder,install.
    Waiting on gaskets for carb
    Need to machine 1/8th inch lip off of rear drums so the don't hit the backing plate.
    Need to finish mount for master cylinder (pictured above)
    Need to weld arm for master cylinder actuation to cross shaft
    run hard lines from master to rear soft hose and to front
    Bleed brakes
    coolant
    change rear diff fluid
    fill steering box with fluid
    make drag link
    make dropped tie rod bar
    waxed cotton ties for a few wires
    touch up paint
    install floor board

fire in the hole

That's about it!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Hotrodmyk likes this.
  4. Well...number 1...truck looks great. There is so much that's right, I'll just leave it at that. 2. I miss basement garages, yours looks the part.....and am happy to know something cool goes on in there. 3. Your scrap man's first name Santa, or Jesus ?? Where the hell does he find that stuff at? 4. Hells bells sure don't chime for you....one year and 3 months to move that far on a build? That is just killer man, good for you. 5. I need to stop reading and get my ass moving.....there is no excuse, because of you. LOL thank you for the posts, and the motivation. I love what you're doing. Roll on please....peanut gallery out.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Glad to see you back at it, I've missed the updates.

6. Lots done, but looks no different. Still progress is progress. Hopefully this next week or so. I was hoping for the next day or so. I was thrashing hard for the Flathead run, but I broke some shit and now won't make it.

7. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Ahh, that's too bad. Well as they say, it happens.

8. Cranked the motor over for the first time today. With all the compression and the rebuild the starter is having a tough time.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Have you fired it yet??

10. Nope, just cranked it over for the first time yesterday to make sure it was all working. Waiting on a part to repair my fuel pump. Then will try and fire it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Charged the battery over night. Thru it in. Cranking over faster, but still slow. Decided to try it. Poured a little gas down the carb, and it fired up immediately for a Second or two! Once I fix the pump, it's on!

kiwijeff, Hotrodmyk and T__N__A like this.
  12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Good to hear. I just blew up your phone...

13. Pump fixed. Fuel leaks everywhere. Got the lines sealed. Carb pukes everywhere. Need to replace my shitty home made gaskets with the correct. Try again.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  14. Also it ran for about 10 Seconds before I shut it down from the fuel leaks. No video so it didn't happen ;) @J scow

15. Winzy

Winzy

Killer man can't wait to hear that banger puuuurrrrrrrrr

Hitchhiker likes this.
  16. First off, I need to thank @Mrmodel for sending me the piece to repair the fuel pump. He even bead blasted it for me! The pump works awesome. It's really a cool piece. Anyways... Thanks again Dude!

I feel I am very close. still all sorts of little details to finish. But it's just good to know it ran, if even for a short time and that everything in theory is working.

I've got to get the carb to stop leaking. Going to lap the fuel inlet into the bowl top and replace my crappy home made gaskets.

I've got brakes at all four corners installed. I've got to finish the master mount stuff, terminate and hook up the two lines and bleed them.

I cleaned and greased all the wheel bearings. Replaced one bearing and race. Surprisingly the others all look great. Seeing as how they are Made in the USA timkins I saw no reason to replace them, Even the bad one had only one bad roller.

I drilled the back shock mounting hole for the front out to fit the brake soft hoses thru.

Ran a line from the passenger front to the drivers front, and drivers front to the general vicinity of the master and left some length . Made the mount for the rear soft hose to frame.

I need to pull the rear end and grease the u joint, along with everything else. and final install my steering stuff. Other than that pretty much done besides a little touch up paint, double checking everything, and the whole making it run thing.... Anyways, I'm pretty happy with how it sits right now, and snapped this picture today when I moved it to sweep.
    [​IMG]

17. So close now!!!
    Go Man Go!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Go, Matt!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cant wait to see a video and hear this thing run. Nice work.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Dammit. Stop.

You are distracting me from getting my pickup done.

Ok. You can keep going. I'll just get back to work on my tub...

...I mean truck

...I mean phaeton

...shit

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

gwhite, Hitchhiker and Hotrodmyk like this.
  21. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Hope that business about cutting brake drum 1/8" is a typo. More than twice what any real shop should consider max for the old ford drums. Must be really hard times up in the upper left corner to even consider such foolery. Good Luck: Fred A

22. Not the friction surface diameter of the drums. There is a lip that need to be removed for juice brakes to fit a stock A rear axle.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  23. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

That number kind of woke me up reading about the pickup. Perhaps been lucky finding near standard drums. On Models A I have a stock of axle housings that I cut 1/8" off the flange and they make a good start on hydraulics. At one time I could not pass on a housing with good bearing surfaces. The fronts are preferred Bendix to balance the brake action without a proportioning valve. Even went that way with my '47 coupe. As for your drums, I'm back on track. Oh, and I still think F1 crossmembers are lame. Good luck: Fred A

24. Lookin' sharp, bud. Your 'plumbing' skills are phenomenal...very clean!

25. I don't think they are lame, but are certainly the least desirable of the early Ford transmission cross members.

Thanks for looking out on the drums, 1/8th would certainly make them a little thin!

thanks Dude!

26. Still fighting fuel leaks. About ready to give up on the winfield.

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Hey Hiker, did you end up getting an overhaul kit for the Winfield?? Good luck overcoming the fuel leaks.

28. Yep, showed up Saturday.

I've been working on the carb all day. I think it's finally sealed.

here is the run down..

First I installed new gaskets. It still leaked, though not as bad. I ended up flat plate wet sanding the fuel inlet and lapping the bowl, to the bowl top. That cured those leaks there. Then the spray tubes were leaking. I seem to have those sealed now, with a non hardening sealant. (they need to be removable)

after all that the bowl to throat gasket leaked a little, I made a gasket out of slightly thicker gasket material then what was sent and it seems to be sealing.

Now the problem is that I think I need to turn down the fuel pressure. as it is dripping into the carb till it drops enough pressure. I think I can do that with the pump. I don't think it's much, I'm gonna do that tomorrow. also need to get a new battery in the morning. Mine is 6 years old and doesn't seem to be taking or holding a good charge. It's got voltage, but the amps are crap. It barely turns over.

I hope I can start it tomorrow.

29. If someone is sitting on a Winfield to stromberg adapter they wanna let me barrow until I can get this thing going and back on the winfield carb...now would be the time.

Im running into a lot of issues with mine, and don't know that it is a usable part any longer.

30. I've been told the Winfields like no more than 1.75 lbs of fuel pressure. Not sure if you can dial that pump in that low - you may even need to go lower than 1.75.

I'm surprised your throat to float chamber gasket was too thin...mine was half again thicker than the original and caused flange on the float chamber to bend when I torqued the nuts down on the mounting studs. Had to file/glass plate sand both flanges to get them square and made another gasket out of thinner material - hope mine doesn't end up leaking!