Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Damn, I'm impressed. Howzabout I fly you down to Texas...you'd have "The Hardscrabble Hop-up" done in a couple days!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  2. You're not the first person to mention I work fast.....you're also not the only person to have thought of flying me out to fix stuff....I'd honestly love to!

the biggest time suck for me, is figuring out what I want to do.

3. Blasted and primed 2 of these today. [​IMG]

4. So I installed the kingpin lock bolts and now the drivers side spindle is stiff to turn. Thoughts?

5. Pull the lock bolt out and it turns fine. You can see the king pin rotates with the spindle.

Did the machine shop f up my spindle bushing install?

6. How easily does the kingpin come out? Sounds like the bushings have a high spot (I'm assuming they were reamed).

7. Not super easy, no.

Also I think my Axle king pin bores are worn. I'm not really sure....Never assembled one of these before and finding tolerance info has been hard. If it is worn that pisses me off as I bought this axle core and had it dropped from a well known axle dropper. Same guy that fitted my kingpin kit.

...bad mood tonight...

I'll have to call him tomorrow.

8. Tear it down and check the fit in both the axle and in the spindle bushings. It should go in with a gentle push.

If you end up re-doing your bushings, have them honed instead of reamed. I've always heard .002" clearance...egg shaped kingpin bores are common if that's the case with yours, have the axle sleeved. Shouldn't be too terribly expensive.

9. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Thrust bearing some are oversize (thicker) the lock bolt pulls them down too hard

10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

With the bolt out, the kingpin shouldn't turn with the spindle. My guess is that your bushings are just a tiny bit too tight in the spindle, and putting the bolt in makes them drag even more. The King pin should go in smooth, with little to no drag, but with virtually no radial play. The 0.002 that @gwhite mentioned sounds good to me.

I would go after the spindle bushing bores with a hone, or failing that crocus cloth to clean them up just enough that the kingpin slides in without force. If you go too far, new bushing aren't that expensive...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

... I've also heard if issues related to the type of reamer used with certain bushings. I know that there are strait/vertical-cut and spiral-cut reamers and split and un-split type bushings on the market, and certain reamers don't play well with certain bushings for some reason...

12. +1; the issue with reamers (IMO, I realize this is a controversial topic for some) is that they chatter just a hair around the spiral oil grooves; this leaves high places that will cause tightness (temporarily). When the high areas are knocked/worn down, you always end up with slop.

Honing, is the best way to get a long-lasting precision fit. I'd aim for .0015-.0020" clearance.

13. Thanks guys....it's just that everything was supposed to be assembled together previously by him, and all ready to go...I could fix it. but I shouldn't have to.

14. And I have already fixed it myself thanks to this book

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

gwhite likes this.
  15. What's the conclusion? High spot(s) on the bushings?

16. I think a sliver of brass from the grease hole was interfering with stuff. Its all taken care of now.

Anyways, I know @1931fordtruck wanted to see some suspension pictures.

It's a dropped A axle. stock wishbone and perches. 39 spindles and juice brakes. Tie rods have been flipped to the top. I used a stock 1937-41 Ford car tie rod tube as it was the perfect length for my axle.

The steering arm is a generic hoop type. I was going to heat it and bend it down, with the tie rod coming in the top. But I found out it will be in almost the same spot if I flip it and run the tie rod in from the bottom. So that is my plan for now.

and yes I am going to cut the mechanical brake mount off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dannerr and sko_ford like this.
  17. Good deal...you'll be on the road in no time!!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looks good. All shiny and clean. Now get that stuff installed so you can get it dirty again!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. RussTee

RussTee

As you say its yours and represents your hotrod personality...well said and well done.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. Got the Throttle linkage made out of the old timing advance rod and got the fuel pump where it's going.
    [​IMG]

21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OK, looking good!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  22. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looks great with the larger rolling stock up front. Fenders need to be filled with something larger than a caster wheel.

...on another note. Slow down. You are making me feel lazy.

gwhite likes this.
  23. Yeah those 5.50x16 were never meant for this. I just had them and needed some tires.

But Yes, the 17's are WAY better looking.

......No slowing this train! i need to drive!

Dannerr likes this.
  24. bonesy

bonesy

17s look awesome. I dig the center caps too.

25. What did you use for paint? Wishbone and backing plates look real smooth.

26. Thanks I really like them too. Wish I knew where to get more.

Rustoleum. They were really nice pieces to begin with. I primed them with filler primer and wet sanded between coats...not sure why..... But that's what I did. Kinda wish the axle was nicer....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Best picture I can get in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Dannerr likes this.
  28. Making fuel lines is a huge pain in the ass. I've wasted so much material and I'm only half done. I don't think they even look that good.

I know I am asking alot. but I want perfect. Like from the factory...

good night everybody.

[​IMG]

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Nice tubing job, and love the wire wheels. Keep up the good work.