Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. I think there are two different size plugs for winfield heads.. 14mm and 18mm. I think I have 14mm spark plug holes. I'm just wondering what I should be looking for for my head.

2. crazyeyes

crazyeyes
    from AZ

3. 18mm. I think the later heads (Super Winfield) were 14mm.

Winfield recommended that 6:1 heads were to use a Champion 7 and 7:1 heads were to use a Champion 13 (those are 18mm plugs). As best I can tell, the J8 and J9s were the closest approximate 14mm equivalent to the 7 and 13 respectively.

4. Not sure when the change occured but I have two 6-1 Winfield's with 14mm plug threads. Early serial number of 6-113 on the one and 6-553 on the other.

5. Thanks dude. Exactly what I needed to know. Mine is a cast iron super.

6. That's interesting...I think mine is 6-227.

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I have 6:1's with both size plugs... don't know the numbers off hand though

my 7:1 is 14mm

8. No real updates....weather's been too dang cold to get out very much. Just been trying to knock out some little things. Earlier in the thread I showed how to adapt a '36 standard wheel & horn/light switch to the A column...looks like I'll be doing it again cause I found this;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

nice...that's a 1937 Banjo btw...love the brown color on them.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Thanks Larry! I always liked that rich warm brown color as well...wasn't sure how it would look on/in a black car, but it's just too cool of a wheel to pass up. Maybe I'll do the upholstery in brown to match; the brown/black combo is slowly growing on me the more I look at it.

In other news, trying to fix an old Motometer and an Arrowmeter...not sure which I want to use yet. Pics coming.

11. So I ended up with an "Arro-Meter" and a Boyce Moto Meter (with the Model T-specific flip cap). Both needed a little tweaking to get working, but they register nicely now.

Tip: easiest way to fix a Moto Meter with a bubble in the thermometer is to tie a 6 to 8 foot rope to it and spin it around your head like a lasso (quickly)...the centrifugal force will spin the 'red' back down to the bottom or get rid of any bubbles. Just make sure you don't nail yourself in the head with it, it leaves a helluva knot!

Not sure which I like better....comments?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jkeesey

jkeesey

I would use the Arro-Meter, Motometers are overdone.

13. Kume

Kume

yep - arrow meters are way cooler - no pun intended

14. Carter

Carter

I would go with the Arro as well. Never seen one before.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. T__N__A

T__N__A

The arro meter is pretty cool.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. olskool34

olskool34

I like them both really. Either one you choose will look great on it. For some reason I like the mechanical aspect of the motometer but the arrow hand on the other is sweet.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ditto on the use of the arrow! (in my travels, I've only seen a couple; Lots of Motometers)

My old friend Jack Passey had a box of the Arrow meters...(in a box, on the running board of Jean Harlow's Phaeton)

18. As long you guys are talking radiator caps...In 1964 I had a flip back cap on my '26 coupe but didn't have the good sense to remove it when I sold the car. I always wanted another one. In 2010 I found one in poor condition at the long Beach T swap meet and then just last year I found a better one at a swap meet. Here's pictures of all three. The first one is the cap on my T in '64. The second is the cap I got in Long Beach that came with a Boyce Midget Motometer with a glow light front on it. The third is the one I bought recently it came without a motometer on it but I've mounted a repo Boyce Junior. None of these actually fit a T radiator neck so I made the aluminum adapter shown with the second cap.

Attached Files:

19. They both look really cool! But if I had to decide I would go with the Arro-Meter.

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

21. Gary- Arro Meter all the way!!!

22. Yep, Arro is very cool - love the bail to hold it on.

Steve

23. olskool34

olskool34

The one with the bail is the moto meter.

24. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

man what a cool ass build... love the arro its cool as all hell.. keep up the great work... nice to see the devil in the details...... neat old project for shure..........

25. That flip cap is neat!

26. Oh yeah, oops! Well then, I retract my previous statement and vote and go with Moto-Meter! :D

Steve

27. The Book of Eucalyptus says "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's tires; but begging him to sell them to you is permissible - nay encouraged."

Last year our old pal 'Carter' here on the HAMB posted up a pic of some NOS 17" Firestone "Studded Ground Grip" tires and I nearly flipped my lid. These tires were introduced in October/November of 1939 and were produced with this tread design up to late '46. Those would be perfect on the Hardscrabble Hop-up!! Last week, PMs were sent, secret handshakes exchanged, and a cash-drop was made.

Today these arrived;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my astonishment, they are perfect. No rot at all...in fact, these are nicer than the six month old tires on my daily (guess they really don't make 'em like the used to). These will go on the rear (for 'display purposes') - Methinks they'll look nice with the Denman front tires;

[​IMG]

28. Carter

Carter

Well played, sir.:D

Glad ya like them.

For display purposes only, of course.;)

29. Hahaha! Figured you'd like that. For 'display' indeed!