Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Grey Goose". "Old Crow's" new sister

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

[​IMG]

Other than a Bellytank Lakester, which to me was always the purist shape and form for a landspeed car, my other true love was an early, single seater, roundy round big car. The style of these early purpose built race cars is pure elegance. So it's always been on my #2 list. And luckily, there is still a racing organization that recognizes these cars and has a competitive class for them,.... the SCTA .

Some of you know about my latest Bonneville project that has been in the works for the past 3-4 years, but I've been fairly quiet about it until it was closer to being a reality.
    Well, now that time is finally at hand, so I thought I would share the build pics with everyone.

The car will run in the scta's VOT class (vintage oval track). It's a body class devoted to vintage race cars with pre 1948 engines. We plan to run the model B race engines that we run in the Bellytank, and eventually run the 270 Offy motor that I acquired last year.

The car started as a cowl and tail that was built 30-40 years ago by an aircraft guy that unfortunately passed away some time ago. I was told the body was a back up body for a racing champ car, but I'm not sure which one. The grill was from a 30's Indy car and is hand made from steel. A real work of art. My friend Kieth Allen (who never sells anything) had both in the rafters of his garage. He only sold them to me cuz he knew I would do something with them. I think I made him proud.

[​IMG]

I started the work with a pair of hat shaped stamped frame rails from my friend Allen Decker, and then the rear kick up and front frame horns were made from scratch. The front axle is a 20's something Chrysler and the parallel leaf springs are a combination of 30's Essex, 30's studebaker, and ford truck hardware, along with some handmade parts.
    The drivetrain consists of a 38 Lincoln zephyr transmission with later 25 tooth gears mated to a 40's Franklin quickchange. The same rear end I run In the tank, it's never failed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I got the car to a roller with the help of friends Logan Davis, Tyrell, and Lantz Soliday, it sat for quite a few months as other projects took precedent.
    But once Logan called me to say he was re- opening his old shop "Milestone hot rods" , now called "vintage performance", I said, Great, now you can finish the Indy car, and he did just that, in the few months that it's been at his shop, it's really taken off, thanks in part to fellow Sidewinder Chuck, who has hand bucked over a thousand rivets, she'll definitely be running next year.
    Enjoy the pix

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the start of the roll cage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We took her out to El Mirage last weekend to pre tech. That's Logans roadster towing behind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's about it for now. I'll keep updating as things progress. I hope it inspires, as others inspire me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Oh, forgot to mention, Artist "Coop" will be working on the "Grey Goose" logo for her. I'll post some pics when he's done.

3. looking good, love the beautiful body work.

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

HOLY SHIT THAT IS BADASS!!!!!

Whats the plan for the motor?

5. plan9

plan9

that is awesome Bobby, the Offy motor belongs in there.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks great! Reminds me a bit of the Murphy/MILLER LSR car. Good luck with it. Bob [​IMG]

7. wow, just wow! thats amazing

8. kisam

kisam

OMG - that's beautiful Bobby!

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

Wow. Kick Ass. Can't wait to see this one in person.

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

That's gorgeous Bobby. Outstanding work guys!

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

You kids have the neatest toys!

Great looking car.

12. sololobo

sololobo

Shing-a-ling, man what a beautiful build. We are very partial to single seaters here in our camp. The car on that beautiful hauler was over the top. Thanx for sharing. Here is xderlict's single seater. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

That is just to cool!

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

VERY COOL!!!
    But you still suck:D

16. Looks like a great project. Lots of fun.

17. oj

oj

To say 'very nice' is an understatement - it is too sweet.
    I have a question about the underslung, i see the front rails dip and teh front of the spring is rigid while just the rear shackle can move? Is that typical?
    The front axle, is that from a miller or is the kingpin socket a welded piece? The ones i've seen on some millers that socket is a seperate casting pinned to the tube.
    Is there any filler/welding to the cowl? It isn't just one piece is it?
    Thanks, oj

18. seatex

seatex

Wow, Bobby, that is freakin' awesome!

19. big creep

big creep

wow bobby, looks awesome! i remember seeing it in parts at the shop, thats just too cool!

20. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Bobby, i thought you might be interested in this photo of a Harry Miller dirt car posted yesterday on TheOldMotor. The body of your car almost carries the same proportions.

Go here... http://theoldmotor.com/?p=20912

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Can't wait to see and hear that thing run with the Offy in it... Gonna rule.

22. Geeeezzzz! A new member to the family is always welcome! Wonderful work, tell alll Hello from me! Crow. LFFL

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Now that's pretty damn cool.... I can't wait to see it finished so hurry up. :p

24. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Oh man that's awesome. Can't say that I've ever seen or heard a running Offy...lookin' forward to it.

25. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I love that Murphy/Miller car. Thanks for the pic.

Yea, it seems like forever doesn't it.

That's a beautiful car, I remember seeing it in Texas once.

The cowl is 3 pieces, gas welded together, although the craftsmanship is soo good it's hard to tell, even in bare metal. The axle is a 20's Chrysler, or so I was told. I can't seem to find any pictures of another one. And yes, the front spring setup was quite common on 30-40's cars.

26. Woweewawa! Awesome!

27. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Wow. Very inspirational indeed. I saw your car at El Mirage last weekend, so cool.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  28. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

bout time... :D