Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Great Disneyland Cover Up of 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 3, 2009.

1. RDO_23

RDO_23

PIXAR has been having its own annual car show since the launch of the first CARS movie.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Really? ... I didn't know that ;) ...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. retromotors

retromotors

(Harumph .... snort .... belch ...)
    HEY! ...somebody here talkin' shit about me .....???

[​IMG]

4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

boyd cotterpin used to work there also

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

ummm, and the HAMB hoodlums haven't been invited....imagine that :rolleyes:

6. dont know about not invited I saw it listed once in that so-cal (local) mag that has all the events

7. Huh? ... PIXAR is in Emeryville ... which is in Northern California (across the bay from San Francisco).

8. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Wasn't Boyd Coddington also a machinist in their maintenance department? I remember when I used to work with Tom Vogle (former editor of Street Rodder) that he had all of these old pictures of he and Boyd working on cars in Boyd's garage in Buena Park. Of course that was way before he borrowed the idea if cutting everything out of big chunks of aluminum from Little John Buttera...

EDIT: Whoops somebody beat me to it...

9. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I heard a story that Floyd would pinstripe and flame all the equiptment at his Disney workshop including the divers air tanks.

10. 61TBird

61TBird

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

it wont let me cause I'm to new????? I tried!
    I guess I have to earn my ears first?

12. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

he said it wouldnt let him, see if anyone bothers to reply anyways. With a screen name like faded, who knows what the mousers will think!!

13. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I have read somewhere that Ed Roth debuted his Outlaw (Then called "The Excaliber") at a big Disneyland Show in September 1958. Anyone have any other details around this? The plaque reads first annual car show September 5th 1959...

14. Not sure ,thought it was a so-cal deal,I picked up at the pomona swap meet last year

15. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

just got off the phone with norm

and he does not remember the show but said it is possible he was there but after 50 years and 100's of shows he is not sure.

16. 31fordV860

31fordV860

I read where Ed Roth was "honoring" Mickey what Mickeys Dad would look like ......Who Knows ..?

All I know is ...I enjoyed building the revell Roth models on rainy saturdays in So Cal in the sixties at the peeps dining room table ...at the same time building revell frankenstien and wolfman models.

Attached Files:

17. Von Franco

Von Franco

Ok Here's the deal. Ray Silva Was A very close friend of mine for years,and his car was on the cover of Rod & custom April 1963. Ray was also in the Bay Area Roadsters.
    Ray said, Before he past away years ago about the Disney show,That it was very small, and that only a hand full of hot rods were invited.Ed Roth had his Excaliber there as well as Norms kookie car and Ray was there with his car and a few others. He also said there was a lot of stock model "T's there and a couple of Corvettes as well. He said as soon as the hot rodders showed up that people from Disney were frowning
    at them ,well i forgot the whole story why they were asked to leave ,I sure you guys can figure it out. Before Ray died he gave me the steering wheel of his roadster which
    I still have with the orignal paint on it and it has been in every 32 i have ever owned.
    And he also gave me that plaque and some other stuff off that car. One time I had the gold car at a show in L.A. and a lady came up to me and asked if I wanted to sell the Plaque, and I said no and she offered me A 1000 bucks for it. I still said no, but all night I had to keep an eye on my car ,making sure that lady didn't try to bag it ha ha........
    Endsville Franco..........................

18. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Hot rodders were frowned at back then??

Ok, so I don't have anything constructive to add, but this is one of the best threads in weeks. Thanks guys.

19. 53chevy

53chevy

Cool story! But, the plaque clearly has a Hot Rod (Don't get the Model T's and Corvettes showing up, they got a different plaque?). It's kinda cool about the mystic of this show. Heard a few variations

Ken

20. The show is covered in the March, 1960 issue of Rodding & Re-Styling magazine.
    Here's the coverage. No mention of any problems, says the trophies were awarded under the circus tent.
    Looks like there were more than just a handful of cars, pretty big tur out.

Mick

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and HEMI32 like this.
  21. wvenfield

wvenfield

Looks like Norm was there.

22. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

Thats rad, dig the Tbird

23. Von Franco

Von Franco

Lurker Mick thanks for posting that ,I have never seen that article ...................

24. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Case solved, once again the hamb pulls it off, this one took a little time you guys are slackin!

25. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

damn....to be in LA in the late 40's through mid 60's would be a dream for me. thats awesome. thanks for the pics.

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Great job of digging that piece out, Mick. Interesting thread...

27. Algon

Algon

Slick, looks like they pulled in some big name cars there too, besides those mentioned the picture shows the Kopper Kart and the X-Sonic attended.

I'm unaware of any other rod and custom show but Disney did have a VW show/contest to celebrate the Love Bug movie. Clips from it are on the DVD of the original movie, what makes it worth a look is nose high V8 sedan wearing twelve spoke Americans shows up in the film.

28. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

HCCA = Horseless Carriage Club of America?

Just wondering.

29. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

And there is also THIS.

30. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

THIS is the stuff that makes this site what it is! Very cool to see the cars that showed up for this thing, kind of a 'who's who' of late '50's early '60's show rods! One of us needs to get on that time machine build and get us back to that era...quick!