Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Ghost Highway-the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Ray, May 13, 2009.

1. Da Injun

Da Injun

Awww man you would be surprised. I always travel down old roads and you see segments here and there of weedgrown abandoned stretches. I collect books, maps, postcards, anything on the U.S. Highway system. Do a Google search on abandoned roads, bypassed highways...use key words pertaining to that stuff, and you will find a bunch of stuff.

If I can ever get my damn computer to recognize my scanner, I'll scan some stuff.

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks for sharing! Time appropriate as well seeing that I will be on the PA turnpike heading for the Showdown in less that two days! I'll keep my eyes open for signs of the old road. I've never noticed any before...goes to show how much I pay attention on that dreaded road :D

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I remember that from growing up in PA, not so much abandoned as being forced out, I remember that people did not want to leave fire or not.

4. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

My grandfather told stories of the cars lined up to take a drive the day the turnpike opened. He took his old Autocar Truck that converted to a passenger vehicle on weekends out on the pike to floor it and see what it would do.

He said it was like a dragstrip the first few weeks, no speed limits and people were taking off from the beginng and going what he used to say "a mile a minute," Which I guess was pretty fast back then!

Great story. Thanks.

5. skane

skane
    from pa

never knew it existed, gonna have to check it out....great info!

6. Very cool and sad as Jeem stated. There are Roman roads and structures still being used in the old world and we shut things down after a few years.

7. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Thanks for posting these pics and info. Brings back memories just like looking at pics of the Mother Road, Rte66. Dare I say these brought a tear to my eye. :)

My first of MANY trips was in Jan 59 from New Stanton to Breezewood on my way to NavComSta Wash DC. Several more to/from during 59-61.

When I moved to Md in 66 there were trips almost every 6 wks back to Oh summer and winter. I remember noticing the change but at the time didnt know why. Many a marvelous sight and a lot of memories of the dozens of trips between Breezewood and N.Stanton.

Remember one trip in particular with a new pair of driving sunglasses. Reaching to remove them as we entered a tunnel but not quite making it - instant BLACKNESS. They were filtering at exactly the same freq as the sodium vapor lights in the tunnel. :D:D:D

It has now been some 20 years since my last jaunt along that ole highway...

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Thanks for taking the time to share with us ,Your Mom would be proud !

9. This is the kind of stuff I come to the HAMB for ... absolutely great!

10. 31whitey

31whitey

Grew up camping, fishing, riding dirt bikes in Pittsburgh.

When we wanted to get away we would grab a topo map and hit the road...

Always would head east into those mountains....

You would not believe the some of the cool old compounds from guys like.

Mellon, Carnegie, Frick....from mid to late 1800s

Like small private towns....run now like clubs....Preserved... so sick....

11. I'm always on the look out for sections of old U.S. highways, or at least sections that are no longer designated as such.

In my neck of the woods, there are many sections of old U.S. highway 41 that are just back roads now. I love to drive these sections where the "ruins" of old roadside motels and drive-ins can be seen. Highway 41 connected Indianapolis to Miami. The section that ran through the deep south was known as "The Dixie Highway of Rememberance" ... many sections through the Atlanta area are still refered to as "Old Dixie" highway.

12. That is a great post! Love the tunnels and the old highway. It reminds me a lot of driving the OLD parts of Route 66 in Oklahoma and Arizona - not the scenery, obviously, but the overall experience.

13. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

My wifes family owns Valley High just outside of Breezewood. I have been into the tunnel there and walked some of the the old turnpike. Abandoned roads and tunnels are great for the imagination!

14. 66JameStang

66JameStang

Very cool read, thanks again! that video was awesome, it is great to see all the classics cruising around

15. TAGTASCOTTY

TAGTASCOTTY

That is awesome, it would also make a fantastic drag way for the rat rods!

16. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

Really enjoyed the post grew up just north of pittsburgh not to far from a turnpike exit, thanks

17. LabRat

LabRat

Neat stuff , thanks for posting !

18. skunx1964

skunx1964

19. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

This is cool I would like to go and explore it. I really dig stuff like this thanks for sharing.

20. Algon

Algon

13 miles ? How much of it is in a straight line? A Drag strip would be cool but how about a land speed racing park on the east coast or America's Autobahn. Three words, Wide-Open-Throttle, W-O-T baby!

Let the hikers, and bicycle twits go to a state park or the damn bike trails our taxes are wasted on that they don't use.

21. freakin cool!!! looks like if you make a wrong turn down that road, jason will be coming after you for makin love while he drowned:eek:

22. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Great post. I just did the NJ to Ohio run on the TP last week. The tunnels are the best part, with the old stone rest stops a close second.

23. evol55

evol55

This is some great history but, where is all the construction signs at? Oh word to the wise if you are coming to the Jalopy Showdown via the turnpike from out west. There is ALOT of construction after the Blue Mountain Tunnel replacing the bridges. You might want to get off at the Blue Mountain Exit ( the one right after the tunnel) and just drive through The PA countryside to Carlisle onto 74. Andy

24. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

For those curious about what EXACTLY happens in the Laurel Hill tunnel that is occupied by Chip Ganassi Racing, then just read the Patent that they recieved for this facility.

"Method and Apparatus For Testing a Moving Vehicle", filed Sept 2004, issued Nov 2007 to Chip Ganassi Racing

http://www.google.com/patents?id=SV97AAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#PPA1,M1

Should quickly clear up that mystery.

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

26. crustorod

crustorod
    from wisconsin

i hear that!

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Born in Pgh Pa. 1950, remember family vacations on the pike with 7 tunnels, they were only 2 lane and the speed limit in the tunnel was 35mph. As a kid hearing on the news about a bad head on crash with a poorly maintained semi trailer. killed a few people. was a big deal then cuz they were talking about twin boring the tunnels and bypassing 3 of them. they are now straightening out the sharp turns on the big hill leading up to the somerset tunnel. The twin tunnels are neat , Blue Mountain-- Kittaniny, you come out in daylight for maybe 1/4 mile then back in the dark. About the middle of the pike, The East Broad Top steam railroad is at the Fort Littleton exit, off 522 Orbisonia. A real neat narrow gage steam railroad. 6 steam locos and stone roundhouse , over head belt machine shop and car building shop. best time to visit is fall steam days Columbus day weekend in October. Also RT. 30 sort of parallels the pike around Chambersburg. Rt30 goes over the mountains, Old Ship Hotel,( gone now). sometimes I go to York NSRA that way when I have extra time. Neat old scenic winding road.

Ago

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  28. cool thread!!!!

29. biscaynes

biscaynes

cool! thanks for posting!

30. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

Just saw this, very cool! Thanks!