Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Galaxie...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

2. Rozzi

Rozzi

3. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Well I've been really involved in all manner of cars for 58 years. No freakin way this car starts and runs without completely redoing the fuel system. It would have been varnish from top to bottom! Sooooo there is more to the story, like a mechanic completely redid the fuel system and bunches more!
    I also had a "box-top" 63, 406 406! Black with red interior.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Gene I'd assumed that's what this ment.

5. X-F272

X-F272

My old man bought a '56 Ford Courier sight-unseen from Minnesota in 2008and had it transported to Souix Falls. In June he flew over and drove it from SD to the port in WA and despite issues with driving on the wrong side of the road, and a few breakdowns, he came back happier than I've ever seen him.

I'm keen to see how this turns out, my late grandmother drove a hideous green '63 Galaxie sedan.

Tim likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've always loved '63 1/2 Galaxies, especially 427s. A buddy bought one new, and it was IMPRESSIVE. I watched Gurney dominate a Nascar event at Riverside in one, and always thought that a sort of Gurney tribute car would be cool. No graphics or anything, but BIG tires on wide steelies, lowered a little, and with less side trim. No doubt Keith will do something tasty with it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

1459662723450.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL ! Like them Fords, back then, a fellow in the car group I hung out with, got drafted, went to Vietnam, came home on a leave, bought one of these, black like your pic, very fast for the time, sadly went back and came home in a box. Usually HAMB brings back a happy memory, Not so much this AM.

9. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Sorry did not mean to bum you out, just thought you all might have wanted an update on "The Galaxie".

10. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

1460249537313.jpg does anybody want an update on The Galaxie??

11. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

That's just dangerous lookin...sittin still.

12. YJ4000

YJ4000

Yes please!

13. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Yes! I take it you bought it from Keith?

14. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Absolutely yes!

15. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Ok here is the short phone app version. Keith put it up for sale in late January, and so I tried selling my 64 to get the funds for "The Galaxie". He gave me a couple of weeks to come up with some cash when I showed him the FE 428 that is ready to go into my other car. Going to turn the black Galaxie into a Big Block 4 Speed car, hence the 427 flags my friend Denny pulled from the attic. 1460253421146.jpg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

I looked around for some transport from Texas to So Cal and used Bill's auto works here from the hamb o dex. She got registered and last weekend we put some local auto parts store glass packs on her. She was running a little rough and would not idle down. So a new Holley four barrel carb, coil, and distributor cap, and the small block 289 she came with runs great. We lubed everything up, .and ran around town. Now this was no 300 mile shake down run, but she is a blast to drive with the three on the tree. Still planning the big block swap but need to save up for the four speed and other bits to put this together. Can still have fun while were waiting. 1460254056100.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  17. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I thought about buying, but I've got to many iron's in the fire.... Glad to see what's happening to it...John

18. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Heres the pile of leaves that came out of the air vent.

19. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

1460272775029.jpg

20. YJ4000

YJ4000

When you think you got them all more will come out while you are driving around. Ask me how I know.

Ryan.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So....

I have a long standing love affair with early sixties Galaxies, even if I have never owned one.

In '82, I scrounged up a clean '62 Falcon 62C car that I own to this day. The same week in April, one of my mentors, Frank Schafer, came home with a '62 as well... A black on red, 2dr.post Galaxie 406 3carb 4speed car with about 30,000 miles o the clock! Far cooler than my Falcon, yes. The best part was the last days of school were coming up for me, and Frank loaned this car to me for a couple of days while another mentor built the three carb head for my Falcon! NOTHING cooler in an early eighties high school parking lot anywhere! Grandma's car gone EVIL! GLXcolorunchked.jpg

Next up, this car. Early nineties. H.A.M.B.er JEEM had screwed this car together, and I had seen it around town a bunch not knowing it was his. The stance was evil, the Halibrands were twinkly, hood louvered, and it was just cool as hell. A couple of years later, he decides it's time to move on and sell, and does the hard sell on me knowing I am both a sucker and easy mark. But, me trying to to be a responsible adult (fortunately I have recovered fully from that line of thinking!) rebuked his advances for well over a year, as his his asking price came down, down, and down. Finally, we are all out at a swap meet in Scottsdale early one morning, and Jeem says "At Least sit in it!". I, very stupidly agree, and of course am completely smitten. A couple hours later, a call is placed to a young man that has begged me to sell him my '65 euro Squareback, and a deal stuck later that day. A call to JEEM that night reveals a full answering machine, and no call back... I'm assuming it was a sex thing.

The next day, Monday, finds me on the phone with JEEM's office bright and early, where I am told he will be in late that morning. Many calls are made, impatiently, to tell him that I have money in my pocket and will be by ten seconds after the phone hits the cradle. 'Bout 11, my phone rings at my office, with JEEM explaining that he came in late so he could transfer title on the Galaxie to the guy that just called an bought it that morning! AAAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!

To make matters worse, the car was sold to a guy that owned and upholstery shop about 6 blocks from my home, and sat in the shop's open doorway un-driven for about five years before disappearing.

I will have a '62 or '64 before death.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Great to meet you Clark as well as Keith in Austin. & was honored to bring you your new baby. I will be following along with your progress! 011 (640x360).jpg

23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great score-will be watching this one. In 62 where I lived all the fast cars were Chevys, Pontiacs or Mopars. We went to Madera Drags a lot and ran there. There was a local guy who was a died in the wool Ford guy and was always trying to keep up. One day he shows up at Madera with a 62 406-we all gave him a hard time about his Ford. That car was deadly fast for the time!! Sure got our attention.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Not a Galaxie..but cousin Merc.62 Monterey S-55 Merc out of Texas..... SUPER RARE.....
    With a towing option...enjoy.

25. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Took awhile to post my video, but here is the Galaxie after a quick tune up by Denny (Dennis) Wile. Like we said before, a new Holley Four Barrel, Coil, and Cap and Rotor, and the 289 runs great.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  26. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Here's a couple of shots from last weeks outing, parked next to a beautiful completed 406 big block 4-speed car. Can hardly tell them apart, ha ha!
    IMG_2428.JPG
    IMG_2412.JPG IMG_2586.JPG IMG_2584.JPG

27. I think Tardell got screwed on this one...there was a lugnut missing by the hatchet. Never pass up old fords in great condition.

28. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I restored my 62 Wimbledon white Boxtop in 07.CHOPPED OLDS ON HERE painted the roof HOK CAndy apple red.REBUILT 390.

29. tim troutman

tim troutman

100_0895.JPG bought this for the wife a few weeks ago has all xl parts but rear seat does anyone know if a 1963 seat fits

30. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

[​IMG]

I've owned 2, this 61 and a 64( well actually the 64 was a 2dr Custom 500, it was Galaxie enough for me) . I want another one, they just friggin ooze style.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jeff Norwell likes this.