Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ferrari Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know four guys that own Ferraris. All four are great guys with a real passion for cars. Nothing like some of you draw them to be... In fact, they took me to a Ferrari club meeting a few months ago and it was just more of the same. Wealthy car guys that like to drive the shit out of their machinery. I liked every last one of them... And loved their cars... One guy had an F40 as a daily driver... It had over 80k miles on it! Nuts.

Anyway, it's unfair to label all Ferrari guys as pretentious assholes with no clue.... I think any notion as such might have a smitch of jealousy behind it.

2. mcload

mcload

Here in the Jaguar Club of Houston, we try to hold a slalom every year. (A slalom is a timed event, driving course of figure eight, oval, and hour-glass). Without a doubt, the Ferrari club (of Houston) members show up in droves...far out-numbering any other marque of car there....and they beat the shit out of their cars for the best time. And everyone of them are as cordial as they can be.

3. Kreb

Kreb

No offense, but slalom, while definitely requiring skill, is to serious track time what a burn out is to a 1/4 mile run. It ain't serious until your life's in danger, and 80 percent of exotic car owners aren't willing to cross that line.

Sorry if this has already been posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfItWwi2V8

Now these guys would fit into any crowd worth being in IMO. Driving future classics like fools, and having the time of their lives doing it.

4. mcload

mcload

No offense taken, but I apparently didn't do a good job of making my point. There are basically two types of "exotic" car owners these days....those that simply keep the car as a trophy in the garage, taking it out only on occasions for a short drive or to car shows. The other is a true enthusiast who will regularly take their well-maintained thoroughbred to track events, be them timed slaloms or full amatuer race competitions at a track somewhere. From what I witnessed, the latter are not the least bit afraid to drift into a turn and then power up coming out of it, slamming it in and out of gears. They are using (and learning) the perfomance values of the car.

But apparently that is not good enough for you in this day and age of car-jacking and un-insured motorists. An exotic car owner must now risk life and limb before he is "okay" in your book? Gimme a break!

The guys in the video that you so highly think of act more like rich-kid morons than serious enthusiasts. Being an idiot on the California highways with Dad's car doesn't make you cool, it makes you dead.

5. Kreb

Kreb

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

7. mcload

mcload

"The rodding scene is no diferent. I'll give you props on your "checkbook special", but I'll give you much more if you pounded panels and built an engine to get there."

Kreb: We are in agreement on this point, especially when it come to hot rod iron. Parts and sheet metal are readily available. However, we're talking about exotics here: Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Jaguar, etc. The owner of an exotic CAN be a true enthusiast, but he should NOT have to be trading paint (or risking his life) on a regular basis to be counted as such in your book.

Those that do race on a regular basis are outside the scope of this discussion as they are either super-wealthy to support such a hobby, or, they have sponsors that pay to keep the machine race-ready. They are not the "average" everyday citizen that has scrimped and saved to own an exotic, or who has inherited one.

8. Kreb

Kreb

There are thousands of guys racing on budgets under $10K/yr. probably more in the big picture than there are "super-wealthy" or sponsored.

But this is straying kinda far from topic.

9. mcload

mcload

Well, no, not if they are exotics, which is what we were originally speaking of. American muscle, sure thing.

10. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

nice to see the envelope pushed a bit.........................

personally a 360 spider would be where it is for me,

although if I it was a 360s or a 32 3w, the thirty two everytime.

11. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

CORRECT!

Same goes for "Street Rodders" "Corvette guys" and the rest of the list that generally get lumped together as a bunch of jerks. Car guys for the most part are great if you spend 5 minutes swapping stories. I worked at an early Ferrari restoration shop- car owners were some great people. When they let a bunch of "kids" drive their one-off irreplaceable cars for a day they have to be pretty cool.

12. Choptop

Choptop

Here is a pic from a Ferrari gathering this summer. Lots of fun. The Merc was a hit. For the most part car guys are car guys.

[​IMG]

13. JoeGibbsRacing

JoeGibbsRacing
    Alliance Vendor

Nice photos. I'd take the '30 Ford. Ferrari's are awesome, but race cars are for race tracks. Hot Rods are for the road.

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

If you ever want to see something fascinating, watch the story of Ferrari documentary that plays from time to time on CNBC , one of the best documentary's ever made on the car.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Excuse this bump... I'm testing something.

16. Traditional hot rods guys...;)

17. nix

nix
    from Italy

I like Tardel /Cochran coupé !!!
    The Ferraris are beautiful but I prefer this rod.

Do you know how much the top chop is???
    Thanks

18. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Just read this one, another great piece. Always impressed by what have do here. Three great cars, three beautiful designs. Only wish I could drive each one.

19. buckd

buckd

Ryan, I understand and relate to this thread entirely. i built my first car in 1964 (a 55 chevy hemi powered gasser) I was a softmore;) in highschool. We had a great auto shop and a great shop teacher who loved hotrods as well as formula one (as a spectator). I read everything I could
    get my hands on about performance automobiles and became very intrigued with early sportscar racing. Over the years I have owned several european sports cars including a Triumph spitfire, Jag xk 120, Fiat spider,
    Porsche roadster. while at the same time always having kustoms and hotrods as well as Harleys around. A Ferrari was always the ultimate motor car to me, and when I retired I decided to add the only one that represented the badge and was still in my price range: a 1987 black testarossa V12 boxter. It is parked in my shop (in a bubble) next to my '50 shoebox and my '49 chevy fastback radical Kustom. Believe me driving any one of these cars as well as your 30's and 40's traditional rods is an exhilirating experience each in thier own way. The influence of Ferrari and other European brands have influenced the auto industry to an extent that many don't realize. Building your own cars and being able to see the craftsmanship of the masters as a reference is inspirational whether it's Barris or Enzo. What do you think? Buckd

20. Deuce_Eddie

Deuce_Eddie
    from Portugal

Well I've just found this thread, and as a life-long Italian car enthusiast, I couldn't pass it up without a comment.

About the photoshoot feature, I agree that the 575 is a bit of a stretch with a pair of 30's cars, it really should be an earlier machine. I'd love to see a comparison of, say, a flathead-powered '32 roadster with an Alfa 8C Monza, for example. Sublime machines with beautiful lines and an intent all along the same lines, but achieved in totally different ways.

The European car culture and engineering are totally different to the american perspective, but the results are amazing on either side. Both have that fundamental ingredient behind them, which is a burning passion for the machine and speed, so even though the routes taken are so staggeringly apart, the results are equally passionate.

I drive a 60's Fiat Spider everyday, and regard it with as much passion as my '32, as despite its "modernness" it feels very much a machine with some sort of soul to it. And despite not messing much with its looks, I do apply some rodding techniques to my Italians, and I'm not afraid of standing by that. One day I intend to fully hotrod a 60's Italian, just to upset the "original nut and bolt" fanatics... :D I've done it before but didn't make much of a fuss about it.

And when I do get around to doing up the '32, I fully intend on having a bit of italian simplicity and elegance influence the finish of this car.

Speaking of which, have you looked at a 30's Fiat Ballila? Recognize anything? The styling was very much neck-a-neck...

[​IMG]

And the later restyle...

[​IMG]

Edit: how about the '32 cabrio?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Eddie

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  21. My passion for cars started with Hot Wheels, back when I was 5, in 1968. But, I like ALL kinds of cars-

Today, my jalopies share garage space with a supercharged AMG Mercedes, an Alfa Romeo, several 70's Trans Ams, a Corvette.. I love and drive them all for different reasons. I'm one of those fellas that thinks the automobile is still the greatest invention EVER.

That's a great read, Ryan- I get it. Thanks for posting.