Register now to get rid of these ads!

The destruction of a nice 59 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilleish

devilleish

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3777404#post3777404

This was for real, not some insurance test. The car was structurally sound. I still have it in a semi-stripped state in my backyard. The firewall is crumpled, the motor mounts broke (we pulled the engine & trans as a unit without unbolting them from the frame), the dash is about 10" narrower than it had been originally, the roof is shifted... But she was not hurt in the crash. Bravo to Pontiac for perimeter frames instead of the X-frames like Chevy & Cadillac.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

They're all COMPLETELY convinced that we are living in the "best of times"...It keeps 'em buying...err, ummm, STAYING "cutting edge"...
    No one ever explained to them the "free lunch" concept.
    It's always a trade-off, its just that you once could pick for yourself WHAT your trade off was...
    O.k., before I get TOO political...;)

3. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Ohio cops, haha. That dumbass could not have picked a worse spot to hit your Pontiac. Glad your girl was ok.
    Regards,
    :cool:

4. froghawk

froghawk

Yeah, Pontiac dropped the X-frame after 1960. Chevy (not sure about Cad.) continued with them thru '64.

5. Dirt Rod

Dirt Rod
    from Mission KS

Nevermind, not worth it.

6. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

safety nazi loser fail

7. rgaller

rgaller

Well said. Seems everyone thinks that old cars = safe because they have a lot more metal. I personally have a newer vehicle and a '55 chevy....I would MUCH rather be in the newer vehicle then get impaled through the chest by the steering column in the '55.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 71 Olds Delta 88 saved my life and I will forever drive cars with a full frame,a friend hit a large tree around 60 MPH and it did hurt me a bunch and was in the hospital for 3 weeks plus a few weeks of rcovery at home but I am alive. If I was in a much smaller car I would of been killed and possibly the twp others in the car would of been too so.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Repost of a deleted Thread.

Most Users on the other Thread seemed to agree that the test looked rigged.

And it seems to me an old car was sacrificed for a meaningless fluff piece about yet another safety gimmick that rewards the drivers amongst us that dont think they have to pay attention while they are on the road.

In other words, other than that poor old Chevy, it has nothing to do with us...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.