Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The danville dukes ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rod and Wheeler, Jul 12, 2010.

1. they are still laughed at!..and the hot chicks were with HOT RODS!

Attached Files:

2. M.Edell

M.Edell

LOL..oh come on now..you know you want as many Iron Crosses on your car as possible..

3. hemi

hemi

Just like the '50s, bro!

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

By us, but they draw a crowd wherever they go. When these guys try to tell me about all the people who were around their car I think "Yeah, people stare at the retarded kid too. I don't want to be the retarded kid."

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  5. M.Edell

M.Edell

You're on a roll today Kirk..LOL:D

6. hemi

hemi

LOL... Oh boy, a few cars and owners come to mind...

Crowds don't equal cool.

7. NOw its funny you should say that,cause Ive had the very same one in about every rod/custom since the 70s on my mirror.got it at a car show

Attached Files:

8. M.Edell

M.Edell

Oh NO..you're one of them..:eek::D

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Geez! Kirk is gonna get himself an honorary membership in the Old Farts Club if he keeps this shit up. :) You've obviously been paying attention for awhile, Kirk. Thank you. And I really mean that. :)

10. M.Edell

M.Edell

Well he is the man who started Billetproof after all...

11. hemi

hemi

And stay off his lawn, you meddling hooligan kids!!!

12. M.Edell

M.Edell

Too Late.

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Probably won't have time. I have a lot of work to do on the house. Maybe next time.

Looking forward to it Rick.

Sorry if I turned this thread into something that it wasn't meant to be.
    Gary

14. Larry T

Larry T

Fifty years ago?? Maybe a LITTLE different.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hemi

hemi

That's not a real old picture, where are her tattoos? Or massive cleavage? and the heels are way to short. I'm calling fake..... and the truck is too high.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ha ha. We were making a statement about the importance and sheer cool of hot rodding's history 15 years ago. Everyone heard it loud and clear from Billetproof and other groups. It's like punk rock today, it's still cool, but not as edgy as it was, and anyone can try it.

It's part of the mainstream and some "traditional" fans don't like that. What's funny is that is WAS the mainstream, all we did was revive it. We didn't invent anything, just reminded everyone of our roots.

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep. Not whorinsh and not shitty cars.

18. D'oh! ... I just realized who started this thread ... we've been played! :eek: ... @Rod and Wheeler is "Dennis Gomes" (Tony @Gomes father) ... Dennis is a long time Bay Area Hot Rodder and is very much aware of the Danville Dukes. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  19. rick finch

rick finch

Hate it when that happens......

20. Larry T

Larry T

"Old age and treachery.............."

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

Cool, Tony has a Glass shop near by..perfect!! I will need glass for the Chopped 34 soon...I saved his link..Thanks:cool:

22. damn now THATS funny...............

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay one last thing about the Dukes. Specifically about maybe the only founder left Gary Meaders. The last time I saw him was in the parking lot of the Hilton at LARS a couple of weeks ago. He was looking at other peoples cars and talking to his friends. The time before was just a couple years ago at the Turlock swap meet. It was one of those cold muddy drizzly overcast mornings. It had rained all the night before. He was walking alone sloshing through the mud looking for what only he knew. Now he has built an empire and made enough money that he could have sent his butler. (I don't know if he has a butler or not) But there he was sloshing through the mud with the rest of us poor slobs. Now you tell me he's not a true hot rodder.
    Gary

24. M.Edell

M.Edell

Who said he wasn't? I know a couple of friends who were in the Nor Cal Early Iron club with him way back.

25. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Hahahaha, that's pretty damn funny

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

On come on Marc. You've never heard anybody badmouth Meaders?

27. I was when he was lettin prowlers into his events because he was hooked up with mopar and said no room for more hot rods..still admire what hes done......cool he is a Orig Duke.....

28. IMHO, Gary Meadors is the epitome of a "true" Hot Rodder ... he lives & breaths Hot Rods! ... Gary's even a member of the prestigious Bonneville "2-Club" (in 1994, he piloted the Dozier & Hegarty blown flathead Chrysler-8 powered streamliner to a 2-way average of 223.220mph).

That stated, I beg to differ with your statement that Meadors is the only Danville Dukes founder still left ... Tom Walsh was also "one of the founders".

Tommy Walsh is currently an active member of the Bay Area Roadsters ... is still building Hot Rods & Bonneville racecars ... and most definitely is a "true" Hot Rodder! ...

He (& partner Lefty Hay) campaigned "The Wailer" dragster in the '60s:

Tommy is also a member of the 200MPH Club and is still the current record holder in the AA Blown Street Roadster (AA/BSTR) class @ Bonneville ... in 1991, Tommy set a two-way average of 232.621 mph in the #333 Roadster:

[​IMG]

The #333 Roadster is also the current record holder in two other classes ... A/BSTR: 238.060 mph set by Tommy's son Justin in 2002 ... and B/BSTR: 241.137 mph set by Justin in 2008.

Last year, Justin Walsh bumped up the A/GR record from 236.741 mph to 253.449 mph in the Mariani Farms #346 '34 Roadster. The #346 car is actually the old Salmen Racing #734 "$UM FUN" Roadster ... re-built & prepped by Tommy (and others):

[​IMG]
    image by @hotrodladycrusr

Tommy has built his share of "Traditional" Hot Rods & Street Rods over the years ... and he also collaborated on the 2005 AMBR award winner "Sedeuced" ... built by another founding member of the Dukes: Steve Moal.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  29. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

Just look at all the things you didn't know about the Dukes . Miss those days in Tom Walsh's garage 33 years ago . And will never forget those who have helped along the way and there contributions in hotrodding from all those so call old hot rodders.

HEMI32 likes this.
  30. KIRK!

KIRK!

It still does. His son-in-law Harry drives it to work here all the time! Always cool to look out my window and see it in front of the building.