Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Custom Shop Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

AMT used this truck, or one similarly modified, for their '53 Ford truck kit. Chev fenders, quad headlights and similar grille. I love the look of this one.

2. James66g

James66g

Custom trucks are the best. Hell trucks are the best Mercs and shoebox fords rule but not everyone can find or even fit in those sometimes a truck is whats called for and they let a working man keep working and look good doing it.

3. nwaringa

nwaringa

I guess I am evil incarnate to Vern. There is nothing more workhorse than an International.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Custom "shop" trucks rule......even if they aren't used as a truck....impractical? Sure....but so are roadsters....haha.

K13...yer truck is looking GREAT!!! Someday I'd like to do a Westergard "style" truck myself....

What does this statement mean????

5. Big Nick

Big Nick

I was going to hell anyway so why not! I'm down for a custom truck, as long as you can still use it as a truck.

6. if they were `59 chevy, they'd have the ribs, and also the screws appear to be in the wrong spot
    **59 edsel?**

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. K13......I really like the direction your taking this PU, GREAT STYLE! cw.

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

9. the el camino/bel air/impala style was what i was referring to...take a look at 59 edsel,looks close

10. I don't care what Tardell says, all the movers in town when I was a kid, had sharp trucks to advertise their business and to look cool.
    Here is my favorite that had many of the modifications that the truck Ryan pictured had.
    The Wildkat.
    [​IMG]

11. autobilly

autobilly

Often the best advertisement for your shop can be a nice lookin' truck/ute. As Ryan said, as long as the height is reasonable and the bed is fully functional, why not? This truck is a fine example.

12. All good work trucks are "customized" anyway - often for working.

The back bumper on my truck is nothing else if not custom - it was made by someone for the original owner to pull a horse trailer among other things. Bed rails, custom lighting, push bars, tie down points, bigger wheels and tires, auxiliary electric points, upgraded brakes, motors, and trans cooling - all in the name of additional utility are done without question.

Slight exterior customizing to me seems like just 'taking care of your tools' - and if it's really your shop/work truck - making a brand statement.

Plus, trucks are just fun. Not as serious somehow as cars. Just as the kids in my neighborhood - they know intrinsically which "car" they want to play in and around...

13. You sir, have good taste!

14. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I always thought that this was a cool shop truck.

That is until I realized that it's more "cool" than it is "shop".

I may be biased.

[​IMG]

15. Vern never answers E Mail
    i wanted to tell him about a car i sold him

16. slim53

slim53

Aside from the hubcaps, I really dig this truck. It's refreshing to see quad headlights that aren't canted.

Slim

17. GARY?

GARY?

This may have already been stated but.. if it's "customized to a point that it no longer gets used as a truck because it's too nice, then it becomes a show truck.

The Alexander Bros. "Grasshopper" has to be my favorite shop truck, but I have to wonder how much stuff it ever hauled.

cheers,

Attached Files:

18. Back in the day, the magazines used to call customised shop trucks, Rolling Calling Cards. I think the rule still applies today.

19. weez

weez

I know what you mean Ryan,

Custom trucks are silly and don't make sense and I LOVE them.

Used to get a lot of flack from old guys about my '49 Studebaker pickup being lowered...

(Still might do a totally stock F-1 though...)

20. BEAR

BEAR

that truck is bad

21. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Girls can't get naked at the strip club. you have to pump your own gas and still pay More than us plus you get more snow sounds like Hell to me :D

Just Kidding

22. Briscoe Hobo

Briscoe Hobo
    from Briscoe NY

I am now working on a 46 Ford, 2 ton dual wheel truck. All the mechanical stuff is finished. The headlights and running lights are frenched. I purchased a set of suicide hinges and those will be going in after I get back from vacation. Moon Eye discs will be on the 20" Bud rims. A rear light panel was fabricated with 39 Ford tail lights. Also, the front fenders and grill are welded and smoothed. The hood is to be peaked and the front hood latch removed. I don't have enough guts to chop the top but ya never know. My old buddy from school has had a body shop since we graduated and he has shown me how to lead up everything,(no plastic). Pictures to come soon. Some shop trucks are just as cool as any hot rod I have ever seen. Truck guys, keep up the good work.

23. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Wow, that truck is nice. Those rear fenders are a real nice touch and look right at home on there. Excuse my Kustom ignorance, but what does it mean to pancake the hood?

24. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

I am a die hard truck and wagon guy and I guess its cause I like the idea of an element of practicality in my rides. I think for me the whole truck thing in particular is the fact that subtle kustomizing brings out so much in them. You can make them unique in their own way whilst still being able to haul shit around in them. Its hard to fuck up a 50's truck I think.

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

It's almost like some guys think trucks are not a legitimate hot rod or custom category. I can't figure that one out. They've been customizing trucks for shows and racing every bit as long as cars.

The humble "truck" is most likely the greatest thing known to man. Everything in your daily life, everything you eat, everything you buy, everything you use, everything you drive, everything in your house, it all rode on a truck. You gotta respect that. And you gotta respect the truck.

26. duste01

duste01

My '53 is custom AND I haul stuff in it.

27. Nice truck, A custom shop truck is the way to go, I need a 57- 60 f100! I am always hauling somthing.

Those rear fenders work, I can recall building amt's 53 f100 and wondering why it came with gm rear fenders as well as ford.

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Ahhh...what does Tardel know...he's "just a hot rodder"!
    Why should trucks be spared from

"THE TORCH"

??????????????

Attached Files:

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a few ways to do it and I can't tell from the pics. Usually it means the ends or lines around the opening are welded and filled solid, then the center is turned in to a flat smaller opening effectively keeping the desired profile while the hood is up. La Jolla by Bradley was done that way as well as countless others from the time. Some were even replaced with plexiglass to show off the motors but I'm sure that heat and light yellowed em up pretty quick.

30. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

OK, let me see if I got it so far:
    shop truck that you customize? Vern says get a coupe or sedan
    shop truck you use but spend too much time "customizing"? understandable
    shop truck restored and mildly customized for personal use? OK
    shop truck so custom you're afraid to use, scratch or dent? too far.
    shop truck so custom it's on a trailer? gone way too far.
    shop truck in a custom show? Not a shop truck anymore.

this is much cooler than the usual shop truck threads.