Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Coleman Coupe gets some R&R

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ct1932ford, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Well I looked out the window this morning and snow was on the ground.:( Anyway I guess it means it is time to start taking the Coupe apart for some mechanical rebuilding. This car has been pretty much just used for many years and found it's way to me.:cool: Well I am not one to leave things alone. :eek:I will leave the patina and the components that were used for the original build. But the guts of the motor, transmission and rear end will get some needed attention. Also things like the radiator that needs some repairs and anything else along the way. So this Thread will not be too exciting. The goal is to have the car look as it did when I started but have me feel better about using it as a daily driver:cool: Now if I can follow my own plan and not do a total restoration I will have succeeded.:rolleyes: I did find some interesting things already. Like the piece of metal floating around in the top radiator tank:confused: And some cutouts in the front cross member for clearance (I guess). And some interesting objects in the oil pan:eek: I am sure there will be more surprises along the way. I will try and keep you posted.:cool:

Attached Files:

VoodooTwin likes this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

what sizes and brand of tyres.

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. The Tires are 7:50 x 16 rear and 6:00 x 16 front. The rears are Firestone Deluxe Champions Ford script. Fronts are also Ford script and only say Ford Motor Co. and are dirt track style. They are not mine. I borrowed them from a friend. I will be using 40 Ford wheels in both front and rear. Fronts will be V8 60's 3-1/2" x 16" I will be going 7:50 rears and 5 or 5:50 fronts wide whites.

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Seeing as how you live 20 minutes away, and your shop looks warmer than mine, I know where to go when I need a day off!

ct1932ford likes this.

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

This will be fun to watch. Those notches in the crossmember are weird, huh. Hope you don't run into too many surprises.

6. Anytime I'm always open:eek:

7. Looks like they were for radiator clearance. If that is what I determine I will weld a plate underneath and finish it off as an indentation instead of a hole.

8. bright red-327-4 speed

9. You do your interior like it was (red & white)and I will think about it:rolleyes:

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. just kidding. what was in the oil pan?

11. brady1929

brady1929

What a beautiful hot rod. What is that white stuff on the ground anyway?

12. Looked like pieces of cotter pins and a 3" long thing that looked like it came from a temp probe:eek: I did find a cotter pin missing from one connecting rod. Also a couple of bolts from a starter bendix that must have fallen off in the back part of the pan near flywheel. But this was a while back when I first got the car. Have driven it just about daily since then.

13. Would you believe Sand from Mesa Az.:rolleyes:

14. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

That white stuff is the defication of the cold weather god....

15. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

I used to love seeing that coupe here in Denver when Neal East owned it.

Attached Files:

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great winter project Mark, I'm sure that front crossmember will look better after some TIG time. Bob

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. pumpman

pumpman

Love the clean, simple look and approach of your 32. We too had a little dusting yesterday, this is behind my pole barn.

Attached Files:

18. I guess I can't complain:eek:

19. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Kind of knew you couldn't resist. Looking good

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

time for some fenders!

glad to see you are improving and enjoying the coupe. I will pass the info along to Richard

21. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Good luck with the rebuild, and have fun!

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cool car, looks like fun!

23. FENDERS:p I have fenders! Just not on any of my cars.:cool:

24. Well today I got the motor just about ready to take out. :cool:This past week was busy so have not had any time until today. Should get motor on the ground this week. :DNo big surprises so far. I told you this would not be that exciting.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

25. I left Montana and moved to Arizona. No white stuff. Temps running low 40s highs mid to high 60s. I can drive my roadster 360 days a year.
    Would like a coupe like yours but have been spoiled with a roadster.
    Great project!

26. Motor and Trans out today! Thanks to tb33anda3rd and Tater for lending a hand.:cool:

Attached Files:

27. Did the front cross member. It had been cut for radiator clearance back in the day.:confused: I ended up redoing it. It now clears but without the hacked holes.:cool: Pulling the rear next!:eek:

Attached Files:

28. Got the Coupe blocked up to take front and rear out next.:cool: Now I can give the wheels and tires back that I borrowed. If I can remember who loaned them to me!:confused:

Attached Files:

29. I think they are mine....yes... if you don't remember