Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Yip, you did, maybe its a rubber torsion suspension thingy.o_O JW

2. Ha ha - pretty shiny rubber!

Steve

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. Rod end circled in red appears to be mounted at a 45 degree angle, rod end in green looks parallel to the ground.

1448432879488.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. I'm thinking its not mounted in the front, looks to have a strap holding the housing up?

6. Ok after a second look YOU are right. I'll look a little closer next time

7. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Maybe, but look at the other side also. Mounted the same way. I don't know, maybe builder left the jam nuts loose & allows the rod to rotate/articulate through the threads. Except that it's hard to see if there are any jam nuts.

8. They appear non adjustable and are mounted at both ends. JW

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. Looks like a do-over

10. Looks like a "listen here I done sawr this on the Interwebz and it was goowarranteed to work good" effort.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Well, it's a good thing Fred wasn't planning to use that frame (just the rearend), I just wonder if the previous owner gave up on it because he couldn't get it to work?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Has anyone who knows Chip personally asked him why he seems to have abandoned his thread and even the Hamb in general ? :confused:

loudbang likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Right you are. The person who threw this crap together didn't know what he was doing, but he had an idea of what he wanted. All I wanted was the housing. I'll be cutting all that other crap away this weekend and with any luck, when I take what's left to the scales, I'll have enough money to help pay for the posi 3rd member I plan on using.

Wow, fellas. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Larry

I'm Facebook friends with him and he posts regularly there. I can only speculate because I haven't asked him but he hasn't had time or probably money to work on his bucket so he probably doesn't have much to say. It hasn't changed much since his last post he just drives the shit out of it. Again my thought but this thread has changed from what he started it as pointing out the ugly stuff we have done on our bucket builds so others don't make the same mistakes. It pretty much has done that so all we can tell the new bees is just read back it has all been covered.

LarryQUOTE="Blue One, post: 11269872, member: 105140"]Has anyone who knows Chip personally asked him why he seems to have abandoned his thread and even the Hamb in general ? :confused:[/QUOTE]

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

[/QUOTE]

That may well be true as far as this thread goes Gary, but in the past he frequented the Hamb and commented and contributed to plenty of other threads also.
    That has ended it seems.
    It's like he no longer feels the Hamb is a good place to hang out.

loudbang likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Fred
    Can you take some closeups of your 9" Ford housing when you get it cleaned off.
    Straight on from the back side.
    From what I can see in the previous photos, that looks like a 57 1/2 ton p.u. housing.
    Getting verrry hard to find.

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Above are probably my reasons Larry but Chip is fine and busy elsewhere.

Gary

18. JBurt

JBurt

I met and talked to Chip at Goodguys last Saturday. Like Steel Rebel said he is very busy and hasn't had a chance to work on his T. Plus much of his work has been OT so doesn't fit here.

From my perspective, FB is great free advertising. And connects you with people other than just HAMBers. If I were still in business with limited resources and time, I would spend it there. FWIW, I don't post much here either mainly because my stuff is OT. Doesn't mean I don't like it here.

19. Chip is busy as all get-out (for which he's thankful as it was a bit slow earlier this year) and spends his computer time on FB. Throw in some "life sucks" moments to divert your attention elsewhere and he deserves some slack. He's told me several times that he'll be back, so we need to be patient until his attention swings back this way.

More hanging-out-at-Chip's-shop! More inspiration! More de-uglification!

bowie and JBurt like this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's the 60". I thought I had found gold myself, but the tape measure didn't lie. The price was right on this "stuff" and while 58" would have been sweet, I figure a little wheel off set will get me where I need to be.

Once again, opinions and ideas are welcome.;)

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know....... everyone wants to know where Chip is and that's cool and thoughtful, but in REAL LIFE, the HAMB is a slight refuge or maybe even a distraction. I'm sure what ever he's doing he's doing it 100%.

A quote from Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke",
    "Oh come on! Stop beatin' it! Get out there yourself. Stop feedin' off me. Get out of here. I can't breathe. Give me some air."

Nuff said about that.

Blue One likes this.
  22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm not worried about Chip. I'm sure that he is fine and doing his thing .
    It's just that we miss him :)
    Hell we even missed you Fred when you were off taking care of life. :D
    Back to the scheduled program. :)

whiplash1923T and loudbang like this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There is enough information and contacts to build a T Bucket. Chip laid out his platform for HIS build. Others have added insight and wisdom. Use it.

It's 2015, for Gawds sake, imagine what a 19 year old, back in 1959, would have done with the resources we have now.

JUST FREAKIN' DO IT!!!

Edit: Darn, went for pizza and posted without thinking someone else had. Blues right.........back to Buckets.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Fred
    Even more reason to verify my suspicions.
    So, were your plans to find/use a housing that was to the dimensions required for this project without shortening it.
    I sure would like to see a shot or two of that housing.
    The 1957 1/2 ton p.u. housings have been hard to find for years.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Denny, tomorrow before I carve it out, Ill take pics. The measurement is 60 3/8" marked on the housing by the previous owner and verified by my measurements. I figure the 3/8" was because he and I carried the tape around the housing.

If this housing is too wide for my use, I'll shorten it, or use wheel back space to make up the difference. Wait for my pics. Trust me, I would or never will ruin a rare piece. After seeing my pics, if this housing is something you need, we'll figure something out. Honestly, I don't think it is.

26. Fred, its still 2015.:rolleyes: JW

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay. I had a very productive and tiring day. Got the rearend out. Cut off the crap brackets and ran a wire wheel over it in preparation for sand blasting. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble uploading the pics.:mad:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure what's happening with Photofucket, so I'm trying a new service for now. Here's a few before and after pics. 8 hours 6 cutting wheels and my trusty grinder.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred try posting your post and then go back and edit and see if the photos will go.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tried that Rebel. I think it's my laptop that's having the problem with Photobucket. This site will do for now, until I find out what's going on.