Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Thanks for that real quick photo Gary. I think most of our earlier T Roadsters constructed down here had the vertical steering using a rake & pinion push pull set up. Yes now days we have gone more to the angled steering column with the steering box down on the frame next to the engine but in saying that, there are one or two that have been built using different boxes and to get the clearance have got upto all sorts of ugly. You mention that it takes up foot space putting the steering down through the firewall but that is only if one hasn't thought it through. In the first photo you can see that the builder had to use some form of idler arm arrangement and as the car is certified, it must work, but to me I thought, what the f... . In the photo of my interior you can see where the column goes through the fire wall and where the brake pedal is leaving a heap of space for the go pedal resulting in me comfortably able to drive the car using only my right foot and not like a heap of cars where one has to use the left foot for braking. It is all in the planning aye... Rod Runs, 08.03.15 007.JPG T Roadster redoor 002.JPG

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nice, but I thought you said '65 and almost HAMB Friendly.

But either that his a '75 truck that's, and you that's 65 and HAMB Friendly. Lol

But non the less a nice truck. Running 3 pedals, great. Is that a SM465 gearbox?

Is it driving yet?

3. The steering box used on my RPU is an F-1 and due to where its mounted I had to offset the Chevy SB 3/8 inch to the right. I looked at moving the box instead but my left foot would have nowhere to go. The block may still have to be shaved a tad yet.
    So Marc, how is progress coming along? Would like to see it back like that pic soon.:cool:
    Gary, love that pickmup and mmmmmmm you roadster!!:cool:
    Jeremy
    [​IMG]

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Brad

High praise and I love your analogy of the honeymoon with a new old car.

Gary

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My steering box is a reversed Corvair box that I mounted up a little higher above the rail to make the connection to the column easier and to allow left foot room.
    Larry .
    steering%20box%20mount%20005%20(2).jpg Rad and grille shell 001.JPG

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  6. Hey Larry have you screwed your oil filter off and on to see if you have clearance with the frame rail ? I know that is a stupid question when one only needs to look at your construction skills but, one can have an off day too...;)

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, I have done so. :D I thought I would have to get a shorty filter, but the filter goes on and comes off with 1/8" of room to do so :)

dana barlow likes this.
  8. pitman

pitman

Fess-up, He parks on a hillside, and uses dry-ice! ;)

9. All good then, just remember to tell the painter that he is allowed to apply only thin coats there on the frame as your 1/8" will soon disappear.:D

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm the painter, so if the paint ends up that thick :eek: I'm in trouble :D

11. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If your engine has a spin on filter it's too new to go in a T hot rod. Okay that's just me being my usual ass hole but think about it that doesn't exclude many engines. Your beloved SBC and YBF are still in that group as well as the first Nailheads Cad's and Oldses. Shit like that just clogs what is left of my mind.

Good Morning everybody Gary

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    whiplash1923T and brad2v like this.
  12. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one! I had to adapt a spin on oil filter to mine! ;)
    Good Morning to you too, Gary!
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Good morning to you too Gary. Had your coffee and muffin yet ? :) Unless I'm wrong my Y block needed an adapter to have a spin on filter ?
    And I don't think that 1956 is too new for my T. :D

dana barlow likes this.
  14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I guess I should have added a bunch of those happy faces. Okay you two above are good with me. As if either of you gave a shit. :);):mad::p
    Gary

15. Good morning T people (6.10 am saterday here). Gary, you will be pleased I took the spin on filter adapter of my 283 and put the canister back on, its in the pic I posted of my steering box.
    Jeremy

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Good for you Jeremy you pass my inspection.:confused:

Gary

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. Hey, I have a canister on my make believe 265 Chevy too but it just happens to be an aluminium one . That is one thing I didn't want screaming out on the side of the engine, " Hey looky at me, I'm a Fram filter " so I hide it.

18. jalopy45

jalopy45

I look like that because of a young lady from across the ditch with flowered grunds that taught me what a fanny is and what it isn't:rolleyes:. :) I managed to buy patch panels for the body from back of the doors forward for both sides and I guess I can use the English wheel and bead roller to make the back. Still under $500 in the body. The Budget Beater Bucket of Beauty.. to be ;);)

Tim_with_a_T and loudbang like this.
  19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow Gary I don't even know that your first sentence means. Maybe I don't wan t to know. Kiwi Paul might know you seemed to communicate with him pretty well. All I know is I had a great time hanging around your sellers space that day. I guess it was Friday. Thanks so much for putting up with my shit. Glad you got your start to your bucket there. Let me know if I can help.
    Gary

Gary

20. Marc and Paul, I was at Magoo's today and he says hi to you both:D
    Jeremy

whiplash1923T likes this.
  21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

OT Got it home. Put a good battery in and it started right up and ran great. Think all that might be wrong with the tranny. is linkage adjustment. Three in the tree.
    Gary

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Gary, that is great, you have to get lucky once in awhile. Don't ya? ;):p:rolleyes:

23. Gary,

Check for worn/ missing bushings in the linkage. Had one of those in the late 80's, Lowered '76 short stepside, 6 cyl. 3 on the tree, 15x8 and 15x10 Cragars, and a low rider looking visor. Man, I miss that truck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys I'm getting attached to this little truck. Might be my next daily driver.

Gary

25. Your T will get jealous Gary.
    Jeremy

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It can never replace Gary's roadster. :rolleyes:

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

No Dick you are right nothing will replace my roadster although you might see it being towed behind the DoDo brown Stepside.
    Gary

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Jeremy....Hard to believe I`ve known Lloyd for almost 40 years....Met him in `76 when he turned me on to some `42 Sheetmetal he knew about out the back of Levin....

Hey Gary `45`--I`m not translating any of that sentence.Marc and Jeremy might, but I`m not..... I do still have that Roadster Back section. Find me a Good Touring front seat back and related sides and I`ll still trade ya. Not sure how we`d get things to Christmas Valley though. I know----

( Insert Tired Santa joke here....:D )

Hey Chip!! You still there? What happened to the rest of our Upholstery Lesson???

whiplash1923T and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. since someone just posted about push/pull rack and pinion steering, i figured this would be a good time to jump in on this thread.

anyone have any idea what is going on here? i'm not particularly fond of the clutter but i always like unique solutions.

anyone have any other pics of something similar? what do you do with the open end of the rack?

BTW i think this is one of the most stellar little bucket style roadsters EVER!
    nene1.jpg nene.jpg nene2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  30. Sorry I don't have any photo's of racks set up in the push pull way for Buckets. I believe one uses a rubber boot of the the end that isn't connected to anything.
    I do like the '26/'27 Roadster and would like to see it from the other side as the exhaust looks amazing. Damn neat to see a flat head 6 cylinder for power.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.