Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Well, It was a fun day. I was late getting there, but did manage to solve one of those Work Related Disasters from earlier in the week.Had a great visit with Tim and the two Garys...Got a bit sidetracked and didn`t make it back to `Distibutor Gary`s stall.....Hope Gary D manages to post the `Evidence Pic`......There was a bit of T stuff there, saw a Red Ugly-Bucket, but didn`t cover enough of the place to see enough stuff. And you run into so many people you know....

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Hey guys
    Just got home after an eleven hour drive but it was worth it. Had a great time with the guys and the swap. No major motorhome problems. Ran into rain pretty much all through Oregon but when we crested the mountain and the sign said California the sun came out and it shined then all the way home.
    More tomorrow and pictures of the fearless foursome.
    Gary

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Saw this aluminum frame early Thursday at the Portland swap. (Yes I got in on set up day thanks to the other Gary) Bitchin quality frame. Thought it might be one of Chip and his dad's. I thought it was a giveaway at $500. Shit you can barley buy speedway bones for that. Set up for Jag diff. of which the guy had most of one. I got his # if it didn't go and if somebody here wanted it. Wouldn't it be kool with an aluminum nailhead. Be interesting to see how light a bucket could be.
    More later Gary
    IMG_0216.jpg

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. That aluminum frame looks like new construction but the Jag setup dates it..........................curious.

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The guys on the Photoshop thread threw on a little sapphire blue for me :)

22.jpg

tb33anda3rd, pitman, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  6. brad2v

brad2v

That aluminum frame is very cool Gary. Agreed on trying a Buick 215 and getting it super light, be a bunch of fun.
    Larry, the RPU looks fantastic. Great color choice.

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thought I had made a major score for $50 until Kiwi Paul burst my bubble and told me it was a repop. Oh well "If it seems too good to be true". I'll have some fun with it anyway.

IMG_0230.jpg

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Still a good deal for $50 Gary.

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Gary;
    Al frame looks like an old Mr. Roadster frame from the late 70's/early 80's. I'd have to dig out an old ROD ACTION to date it closer. Yup, I'd sure like it, esp for that price, getting it here would be interesting. I might have a way...maybe. PM me his ph#, if you wouldn't mind. I'm guessing there's lots of guys w/deeper pockets, + being closer than me; to make it happen sooner, but it might be worth a try... :D . TIA.

BTW: I'm trying to get a hold of 'Atwater Mike' (on the HAMB). Anybody know him personally, that has his ph#, or would pass on mine to him.? PM me, or: [email protected] . Again, dbl TIA on this one. Marcus...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Kiwi Paul took me out for burgers and beer at the Hot Rod Cafe in Portland Thursday evening. Wish I had taken more pictures of the joint. After he got all cried out about his horrendous work day we had a great talk. We speak the same car language although he speaks it with that Kiwi accent. After dinner he came back to the motorhome to bring my wife take out as she was recovering from a fall she took while I was taking off and she was trying to climb over the engine cover to get into the passenger seat. Don't let Paul tell you I pushed her down. Luckily she is alright, it is a pretty soft landing on the carpeted plywood floor of a motorhome. Paul actually made quite an impression on my wife but that is not unusual all our fifty something years together she has earned the reputation of whenever I leave her for a few minutes at a club I'll come back and she will be talking to some guy I or she did't know before I walked away. She is like a magnet. Just a couple of weeks ago I met her at a restaurant for lunch and she was at the bar talking to some guy that looked to be in his early thirties and believe me she and I are old enough be his grandparents.

Chip has Judy stories I have Fran stories.

Good fun all Gary

IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0217.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  11. brad2v

brad2v

Love the tire smokin Deuce coming out of the wall.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. So guys, wheres the group shot???? waiting !!:D
    Jeremy

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay I was waiting for someone to ask. I'm not saying who is who.
    Gary
    IMG_0227.jpg

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I would really like to know who is who, but who will tell then.

15. let me guess, Gary, Paul, Tim, Blue?, :D wad I win wad I win:Do_O

16. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

From the left: steel rebel (Gary), Kiwi Tinbender (Paul), Tim_with_a_T (me), and jalopy45 (another Gary).

jalopy45 picked up an old hot rod T roadster body that's in decent shape, and I'm sure a few other bits and pieces. I found a few trinkets for the shortened touring project as well as a few things to flip. I'm very happy I got a booth this year- I got rid of a lot of stuff and am grateful for a little extra cash.

It was great meeting up with you guys. I feel like your trip Gary (steel rebel) trip was too short, and I feel bad that I wasn't able to show you around or at least buy you a beer. Guess I'll have to wait for LARS.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Is that Larry with the facial hair ? Looks like one of the Good blokes from the back blocks of Tennessee, only missing a piece of straw sticking out from between his teeth. No offence hopefully taken as I noticed that facial hair is back in vogue. Garry, I think you have been having us on too as you certainly don't look the age you keep
    trying to tell us you are.
    That side valve engine really stirs my fire, see what happens when one mixes with all the good folk here, I appreciate engines that years ago I would of only used as garden art and now would love to use in a rod.
    Larry, the blue is going to be a killer on your Roadster and totally agree, the black top will look amazing.

18. Tim was typing the same time I asked who it was so, sorry Gary, and again, hopefully no offence taken about my Kiwi humour.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys back to de-uglifing T buckets. A good start in Portland. A good start for someone. It's still out there.

Gary

IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0215.jpg

AndersF and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  20. brad2v

brad2v

We can always count on you Gary to get us back on track when we start to wander off. That one you posted has a lot of potential.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. SimonSez

SimonSez

Just in case you didn't realise - those are Helix brand, so are made in China.

22. Ok no mention in the ad where they made I wasn't aware they were Chinese. I've got a set just like them (I assume are pete n jakes) on my bucket, got them from GMT. I want another set and only those came up on a google search. I don't want the single shear type that uses the clevis type attachment. Are the stainless ones speedway have any better. I want to paint them . Any other sugestions?

23. SimonSez

SimonSez

The original Pete and Jakes versions are still available here if you want them ...

http://www.rjays.com/Pete_Jakes/PJ_front-suspension-01.htm

24. amazing, if you compare the two photos they look the same

25. What a great photo that is, and as for that super nice T roadster on a rolling frame at $2000 !!!!, over here that would be $7000-10,000.
    Jeremy

26. Graham,a good chance they are made in the same place.
    Jeremy

27. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yeah, nah - not in this case.

Pete and Jakes still say "USA Made" but the best Helix can come up with is "USA Based Technical Support", e.g. made in China.

If you are not familiar with the brand, Helix are from the same parent company that brings you the collapsing tilt steering columns that LVVTA have cautioned against using.

Do a search here for Helix or Hoffman group if you want more info ...

28. Cheers, im familiar with the Hoffman Groups quality productso_O:rolleyes:, I was referring to the same pictures of the said item.:)
    Jeremy

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys one more Portland post for me. Nice 26-27 tub.
    Gary

IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0223.jpg