Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. More Project T.
    Robs trying to drown it. :D IMG_20150303_191219.jpg IMG_20150303_191250.jpg IMG_20150303_191201.jpg IMG_20150303_191243.jpg

2. Jeff, I just noticed the orange and white modified on the cover above, its the same car I posted earlier. JW

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  3. Yup, issue 40 of New Zealand Rodder.
    IMG_20150303_193956.jpg

KiwiGlen likes this.
  4. Some random NZHRM Buckets. IMG_20150303_191528.jpg IMG_20150303_185911.jpg IMG_20150303_193657.JPG IMG_20150303_192651.jpg

5. IMG_20150303_192358.JPG Chip, hope your enjoying these.
    Cleaned up this pic a little, my favourite. :D:eek:

6. Ah, that's in Nelson, and has small primer patch on door. Was looking at it thinking it was familiar.

7. Spammer reported.

8. Yes, I reported too. This thread is very active so I suspect it will draw the interest of spammers.

Glen.

9. I just reported another on the main board, its very important not to reply to a thread they start. JW

10. Jeff, you referred to the " new version " of Vandal as a clone, sorry to tell you that it isn't a clone and is the original car restored back to how it first appeared when built by John Reid. The only thing that remains from Black Sabbath days is the front disc brakes. The guy who purchased it and rebuild it also had TNT Dodge bucket and did the full restoration on it to before selling back to the original owner builder. Hell, this is embarrassing as Mum has dementia yet I have all the names on the tip of my tongue yet can't remember them.

11. The chap who did the restorations is originally from Balclutha where TNT came from and now lives in Whakatane the last time I spoke to him. I can picture him yet his name just isn't there. Oh hell, time for bed and turning the air conditioning on as it is so hot here tonight.

12. Stormbringer T with the forward leaning screen was build in Hamilton by Bryce Wilkinson, he build two T Buckets and then used the blown big block chevy in a '27 T Roadster for street drag duties. He had a real bad accident in it at Thunderpark Dragway which totally destroyed the car and almost killed him. He worked at Rocket Speed Equipment and did most of the final assembly work on my Roadster when I was busy driving linehaul trucks 6 days a week. The screen on his T was at right angles to the body which due to the rake made it lean forward. It was still a top show car with heaps of get up and went power that was used a lot.

13. Was that the finished paint? Not to be critical, but it is hard to tell what it's supposed to be - looks like it was fitted with a door from another car and repairs made around the jamb, yet was magazine featured? T bucket.jpg

14. Yeah, that's finished paint as far as I am aware. Although, the car could be unfinished because you can see there is only one windscreen brace from the top of the screen to the light post. But then, it was 1970's New Zealand, so who knows.

Glen.

15. Thanks Whiplash, I was sure I'd read that Vandal was a clone. Not sure why, musta got me wires crossed. :D

16. I believe Tony Ward's T with the unusual paint job was the finished job paint wise and was done when most were trying to do something different. John Reid had used lace curtain to do the flames on Vandal, Bryce Wilkinson covered his T body with multi coloured ribbins yet named the car "Stormbringer " ,I had a mate down south who experimented with lace paint and pinstripes all over his 105E Anglia over the top of heavy metallic base which he was asked to enter his car into a Hot Rod show and took away "Best Paint" so in the early 70's there was some crazy paint jobs happening. And then there was the large murals appearing on cars too, which I think was more a NZ thing instead of us copying what was happening in the US.
    Getting back to Tony Wards T Roadster though, I am just stunned by the exhaust way up like that, but then, he must of liked them like that.

17. Oh those names have come to mind now too, Buck Rodges is the guy that restore both TNT and Vandal although I believe Starry Malcolm owned Vandal and Buck did the restoration. Buck was a young guy in Balclutha when he used to see TNT been driven around town all the time by Barry.

18. I just checked the artical, re Tony Wards bucket for @halibrandsteve
    It says that the paint is Dulon acrylic blue, and there appears to be a combo of gold silver and black scollop and flare work.
    It goes on to say if you look close enough at the door, yourll see a woman's head with hair flowing in the wind.
    I'm thinking the acid was quite strong in the early 70s, cause that body looks red to me, and even strong drugs couldn't make me see a woman's head on the door. :eek:
    I turned the page, and the pics are different, so it must have been painted properly after the main pics were shot! :)
    So here's a pic of that description. IMG_20150304_111851.jpg

Attached Files:

19. I can clearly see it in the pic you attached, just not in the color shot above. Looks like you may be right about it being "fixed" at some point!

20. I see her in the color pic! You just gotta blow it up. She's got blond hair, but her face is obscured by the little blue guy standing in front of her with his pants around his ankles taking a whiz or something! ;-D (and no, I wasn't on acid when I wrote this!)

volvobrynk, k1w1rodder and kiwijeff like this.
  21. missysdad1

missysdad1

???????!!!

22. He's pulling ya leg.
    Having a lend.
    Taking the piss.
    Having you on.
    Taking the mickey.
    :D:D:D

volvobrynk and k1w1rodder like this.
  23. I'm guessing you didn't see it? I blew it up and the blue blob in the middle of the door looks like a figure facing the rear of the car. I'm in a real estate class right now, so maybe I just more bored than you guys right now!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    kiwijeff likes this.
  24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know guys what I'm seeing a lot on the older Kiwi buckets pictured above is over vertical steering column's. To my eye this looks as bad is a windshield leaned forward and wasn't seen until some of the outlandish show cars of the '60s. So this isn't "traditional" even in T Buckets. Of course to me "traditional" ended December 31st 1959.
    Gary

25. Gary, the reason for the vertical column was the use of a steering rack for the steering box, this was used in ''Project T'' that so many of our early buckets were based on.
    I drove many miles in the bucket I posted earlier with the Hemi and its column was vertical and very comfortable. It also left the peddle area clear for three peddles and your feet.
    Traditional in NZ in the early years was very mixed up as we used parts from US, Aussie and English cars. JW

26. You know, I've never driven a vertical streering column T, but after driving mine, I can see the appeal. Total didn't leave much room for your left foot between the side of the body and the column! Of course, the diamond tufted Interior probably takes up another (VERY) valuable inch! I may have to rethink that when it's time to re-upholster it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. No, no, no...the Blue Boy is facing forward and just got stabbed in the back with a spear by the Yellow-Green Guy standing behind him! In front of Blue Boy is the Hasbro Flying Disc Space Craft (patent pending) he was planning on using to make his escape after stealing the mysterious Lady's Face diamond. You mean you people can't see that?

kiwijeff, k1w1rodder and KiwiGlen like this.