Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Whip I like yours and the red one. Not much I would change on either. I don't see a 348 though. Maybe a 396 big block in the bottom one.

2. 01_BlackTBucket.jpg

02_BlackTBucket.jpg

03_BlackTBucket.jpg

Yes, the builder lives in the Russell area I think. He is a member of Kurbside Rodders.

As far as the padded roll bars are concerned, I'm not sure why they all seem to have it. It's not mandatory as far as I am aware.

Glen.

kiwijeff and jalopy45 like this.
  3. They are not a requirement in NZ....yet, except newer builds on glass cars and as for the padding, well if you head is anywhere near it it will save a bump or two otherwise its just to try and give it the" Action look'', which looks so dumb. JW

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  4. I believe the chequered bucket is running a 427. JW

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

For sure WHIP you KIWI's aren't following the T bucket radiator height rules.

6. nobux

nobux

Is a roll bar a NZ t-bucket requirement? It seems like every t-bucket from New Zealand has one.

7. Not so much a roll bar but as a glass bodied car is considered a scratch built (ground up) they have to have a seatbelt mount (lap and diagonal) so we have to put in these f"ugly bars. Unless you can show its an original (steel )body then you have options

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. Now this little car says that it is all business!!

9. Mine is certied for lap belts although I had the roll bar and three way belts fitted when certied. I find the three way very comfortable to wear compared to even the belts in my BMW so have decided to leave the bar and belts as in the photo at the moment. Sorry Gary, what I should of said was the checked flag painted T was powered by a 348 when first on the road but sold missus the engine trans to the young man who is in the photo driving it at the Beach Hop and couple of years ago. Mike made the headlight buckets to match the tear drop type he had made for the rear lights. What you can't see in this photo is the old style fuel tank and battery box mounted up on the cross member behind the body with it's sacking cover that gives the whole car a " Straight out of a barn " look.
    The black T with the wires would look a darn site cleaner without the roll bar but as mentioned, I'm not sure if newer builds have to have roll bars if using a fibreglass body.

10. 561.jpg Here is a photo of an early T Roadster that now is in one of our main Automobile Museums.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  11. Here is a shot of the black T with the owner sitting in it. If you look closely, you can see his knees. Actually, if his arm wasn't in the way, you could probably see his whole leg. Methinks this is exactly why a 6 foot something dude should rethink the urge to channel a T body.

00_BlackTBucket.jpg
    He's going to the USA in a few months to buy a '32 Coupe and said that this engine will go in the coupe and the T will be for sale.

I would love to see a T bucket where absolutely no knee is seen while driving... without the driver having to be 4 foot 2. Is that possible? o_O

Glen.

12. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Mark....Right on the Black Bucket--just needs to be up an inch or two in the back for me. Also correct assessment of the `West Island` built one........:eek::D

..... Hey GARY....If you have my phone, lets set up a quickie tour. I`d be happy to show you my Train Wreck Workshop, and we could do a few other things as well. I know we would have to see Tim`s T though, it is too cool in person to miss.......I`ll be in touch after I get back from NZ....

Worked all day on the Plymouth Coupe. Just have a couple of things left to do before Tuesday--some Lead Work, a Bronze weld job on the Bumper guard, and some parts assembly and a clean...also have a visit to another customer with a `57 Belair on Monday. Boy, I`m already tired....

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm 5' 10" and it will be possible in my RPU with the 4" I added behind the doors when I built the back of the body. The heel of the toe boards is moved forward for a better foot angle and more leg room too.
    As well, I mounted the body hi boy style on top of the frame rails.
    I'll be able to sit in relative comfort, my legs will still be bent somewhat, but sitting in the car you won't see my knees above the steering column and my steering wheel is mounted low enough to be at a very comfortable angle and not stick right up above the dash a long ways.
    Larry

KiwiGlen likes this.
  14. Just for you Paul, project T. Will try and find a shot of it as 1st built. JW
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. I just sat in my RPU and with the original length body and standard floor my knees are 3inches below the top of the door and im 5'8''. JW

KiwiGlen likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So roll bars are mandatory in kiwi-land? The one one the red one looks like it came of a Ferguson

But tires/wheels need attention on both cars, and if the radiator was dropped down, it would be much better to me (the black one)

I'm a leg and a$$ man, and I think I would love to go and visit you I like the lady scenery.
    And despite how some of your cars look

What do you mean by, se part of his knees, he sits on it like it was a bike

If you want to the rear of the car you could se his knees a his back pockets. Lol

But 2 days at chips house, and that could become a beautiful little bucket!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  17. Well Glen, sadly since I have had both knees replaced with metal and plastic ones, I wouldn't be able to even sit in that T if that is how he does. I mate here in Auckland laughs at me trying to get into his '33 Ford Truck and once I have folded myself in, there is absolutely no way in hell I can lift my foot to operate the clutch pedal, so he knows it is safe to leave the keys floating about. I'm actually a bit concerned about how comfortable I will be getting in and out of my T Roadster and especially now I have lowered the seat base down.

KiwiGlen likes this.
  18. I fell in love with this modified. JW
    [​IMG]

19. Loved everything but the rear axle. JW[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Paul
    I still have your address there in Vancouver on a wine and coffee stained post-it I must have used as a coaster for a while but if we ever exchanged phone #s I can't find it. We can do it when you get back from the visit to your mom. Not sure how much driving will be involved in the shop tours but I'll leave that up to you and Tim. Did I read right it costs $17 daily to enter the swap? Since it is just a fun trip for me I think I'll just go one day. Whatever you guys think best. Let me know.

As for Kiwi buckets I wonder if we in the U.S. should apply our rules to them. They in their youth must have had different influences than us. Even here in the U.S. it depends when you went through your formative years and what was popular then. Mine mid to late '50s Chip maybe ten years later. I really like the simple little bucket that Paul fell in love with and looking forward to his Klone and what small changes he makes to the original.
    Gary

21. jalopy45

jalopy45

Gary, I think if you're camping at their RV site you get a free bus ride and entry into the swap meet. I'll double check that for you.

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow kool. Hope so.

23. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

jalopy45 and Gary,
    That was my impression as well. Gary, I don't mind drivng you around, but I'm not sure you'd want to be seen in my daily haha. I'll let you decide when the time comes.

Also, if it is indeed $17/day along with your RV fees, one day is plenty. There's a lot to see in Portland other than junk car parts in the rain haha.

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Awesome little bucket. If the body was unchannelled it would look even better I think and a bit easier to fit into as well.
    Mine had the cowl stretched 10" and made to look much like a 26 cowl...a look I'm chasing even harder by using a 26 fuel door and soon I will be adding a shiny cowl band to take the plain look off the edge and also give a vertical focal point to visually shorten the car a bit.
    She's pretty long wheelbase but I'm currently converting it to axle over in front which will pull the wheels back 4" in total.
    The beauty of it all is that the car has amazing highway manners and lots of foot room.
    I'm getting it more and more to where I want it!

KiwiGlen likes this.
  25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Tim you would be surprised what it would take to embarrass me in a free ride. I actually can't imagine what that would be. I actually took my gutted, unpainted 48 Ford moor door to a Goodguys show a few years ago. I noticed a two door in about the same condition. I talked to the owner and said I had one worse. He said he was kinda embarrassed until he saw my car. His comment was"you win". No I don't mean for you guys to haul my ass around all weekend just for the garage tour. If my wife wants to run around town we can rent a car. I actually bought a 62 Falcon to restore for a tow car. I've got it about half done and can't get my ass in gear to finish it.
    Gary

26. jalopy45

jalopy45

Looks like the RV and swap meet are separate venues . I can offer a 3 day vendor pass or possibly 2 if my brother fails to show up .

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow thanks I'll only need one. My wife couldn't care less about a swap meet. She is into Quilting and if she wants to go to quilt shops or anyplace she can call in a rental car. I can run for coffee,beer or lunch. Well maybe not run.

whiplash1923T likes this.
  28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I see a couple of problems here. The first thing to note is that this body is channeled about 5", rather than the typical 3". That is a big no-no with these cars, 'cause it eats seating room faster than anything. The second, he seems to have done the seat riser like everybody else on this planet does, and made it WAY too high. Look where his shoulders are in comparison to the top seat rail of the body. The very last thing to think about to, is, he is just sitting in the car when the shot was snapped. sitting in these things is a bunch more comfortable when you put your feel flat on the floor and not on the pedals. When you are driving, on the pedals become very comfortable.

Now, by comparison, here are some shots of my car. I'm 6'1", and I have arms and legs fit for the average orangutan. Quite literally, my hands dropped at my sides when I am standing straight up are just above my knees. I am probably a worst case as far as packaging these cars. What I want you to see in these shots especially, is where my shoulders and back are in comparison to the seat rail. Ya, you do see a bit of my knee, but not much, and I believe most women find them sexy anyway!

The shot with me and my buddy Jake going down the road, it's important to note that Jake had his feet on my tool box in the passenger side floor. He is about an inch taller than I am. The shot with me sitting static in the car, just like the other picture of the man in his, my feet are flat on the floor, which means they are bent and pulled back to behind the pedals. As you'll see in the shot of me leaving our little dive bar, in a driving position, my knees are pretty close to the top rail of the body.

Sounds like I better get off my ass and do that seat tech this after noon...

bucketin\' down the road.jpg

img805.jpg

bodi and me at the bikini.jpg

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gang, I have to tell you that I am ALIVE! I actually have had a the first couple of days in the last month that I haven't been tied to an inhaler all day in the last couple of days, and am busy making hay, as it were while the sun is shining! I have had my head down working and trying to recover my finances as best possible.

In the mean time, I have blundered into yet another blessed mess. I started a Face Book page for Hot Rod Central Louver co. on Thursday night to see if I can build some more business.... When you finalize your page, they tell you that they will set goals for your page so you can see it's progress. The first goal is to get 50 "likes". They explain to not be too discouraged if a it takes a month or two, blah blah blah. I hit send at 9:00 pm on Thursday night, and I have over 325 people who have liked the page already! Lots of questions to answer too! Yeesh...

volvobrynk likes this.