Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Thanks. What can I say, ugly is ugly :)

whiplash1923T and dana barlow like this.
  2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Gary--You have to stop Sugar Coating it and Tell it Like it Is...:D Hey George..I`ll send some chassis pics to your Email if you like. They are all I have, and there is an add on cage for it in case of a Bonneville venture. That said, the builder is using heaps of cad work and comparisons to scale his version, but has built the frame from 1 3/4 . x .120 DOM. Hey Tim....Get that Camaro handled. The T needs some progress. Chip will have his painted before we know what hit us....

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember that article well, the shot with the full-face helmets is unforgettable!

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I still have a soft spot for the Lil Coffin. Probably my age, I'm a little younger than Gary, if you were a kid in the sixties, the Coffin was "Keen!!"

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I also dig the Matador. Shhhh, don't tell anyone...

6. re-" L'il Coffin" and others of this style, they are a part of the greater hod rod story, so love em or hate em they have their place in this never ending tale of automotive inventiveness. Remember.... ugly is in the eye of the beer-holder:D

whiplash1923T and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Somewhere around here I have a 1/24 scale slot car I built with the Monogram Lil Coffin body on it. I'm also a big fan of El Matador. I have a '40 two door sedan body in the "future projects"section that I wanna build as a copy of it (but as a 2 door sedan).
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You are right George my formative teen years were in the '50s and when this new show stuff came out I didn't like most of it. Looking back though I did like the first few Roth builds. They were pretty out there but with his "KEEN" artists eye they all flowed. I never thought they were "UGLY" Thank goodness '50s style did bleed over into and maybe through the '60s. DeBenictis roadster and others. But by the time I started my build in the late '79 and finished about the time Von Franko finished his first klone about '88 or 89 we were pretty much the only ones building that style bucket. Using the V8 60 front axle,banjo rear,'40s Ford brakes,Tornado headlight brackets and steel bodies. In fact the first thing Franko said to me was "I saw the smile of your front axle from across the Fairgrounds and wanted to meet the person that built that T" and we have been friends ever since. You know looking back that is the second time I met him. The first time was when he came back to his roadster on the lawn of the Pleasanton Fairgrounds and found me laying under it checking out the steering box. I didn't get my roadster streetable until the next summer. He then asked me if I wanted to sit in it. I still have the picture that my wife took of me with the big smile on my face.

Gary

dana barlow and falcongeorge like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya know what's cool Gary? You passed that same "Awe Cool!" moment on to me at L.A.R.S. this year when you asked if I wanted to sit in/drive your car! Wish I could have put some serious miles on yours that day...

whiplash1923T likes this.
  11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Kiwi! Glad you have faith in me! I was just telling my customer today that I finally have all my ducks in a row to paint the thing, but I'm lacking other transpo for a bit to do it. Maybe it's time to get my early seventies "showy" metal flaked Honda 450 "drag bobber" up and titled for real. I'm a afraid you guys might lose me to the dark side, though...

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know Chip their are few people I would feel comfortable driving my roadster. You are one. You "get it". Maybe next time you can put some miles on it.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So, I'm in the 'Bucket yesterday, cruising down 44th street, headed to So-Cal to buy a door switch for my customer's '55 'Bird. I have the good remaining one with me, with about 18" of wires left hanging out. As I drive through the splendor that is Paradise Valley, (one of the toniest zip codes in the country) I become aware that I'm holding this switch in my right hand and plunging the plunger with my thumb. Being the over-sized child that I am known to be I start making explosion noises as I do this. Nothing huge or audible to others, and nothing threatening by any stretch of the imagination.

So, I'm sitting at 44th and Thomas in the left lane. In the center, an older gal rolls up and gives me the "I can't see you so you don't exist" kinda thing. I pay her little attention, and remember the game with the door switch from earlier, and plunge the plunger with my thumb.... Suddenly, the old gal rolls her window down and yells something quite urgently at me, which due to the open headers, I don't hear on the first round. My expression was probably puzzled, and she shouted again - "ARE YOU BLOWING SOMETHING UP!!!???" "WHAT KIND OF HORRIBLE PERSON COULD YOU BE TO EVEN THINK OF THE DESTRUCTION YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO TO THE WORLD!!!???" I stammered for a second, and lifted my arm up to show that the wires aren't connected to anything, but it was too late... A Phoenix Police cruiser had rolled up in the right lane, and biddy had her right window down explaining the terrorist next to her. Next thing I know, the cop is out of his car, and asking what the switch is all about! REALLY?

After a ten second explanation, and the lack of attached wires, he seemed satisfied. Biddy, however, was yelling that he should arrest me for terrorizing the entire city.... Another one of those "It could only happen to Chip" kinda moments. Guess I have to be careful about playing with various toys as I drive these days!

Oh, I also figured out singing old punk tunes at the top of my lungs on the freeway probably doesn't make me look cool... I'm thinking it looks more like turret's to the average citizen.

Tim_with_a_T, bowie, RICH B and 3 others like this.
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

15. ^^^^^^what he said^^^^^:D:D:D:D

need louvers ? and volvobrynk like this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, it's funny, when I was a kid I really dug a lot of those cars, the coffin, Roths Mysterion, El Matador, and the Sillouette. Then I went through a phase were I was totally turned off by them, and now in the last few years, I have come full circle. They say that's what happens as you age, you turn back to your childhood. Probaby going senile...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's hilarious Chip. Man, if I wasn't scared to drive in AZ already, that story woulda done it...
    :D

need louvers ? likes this.
  18. jerry

jerry

That has to be the best I have ever heard! Chip the terrorist!

need louvers ? and volvobrynk like this.
  19. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I can only imagine Chip Ramone belting out "beat on the brat with a baseball bat". The old biddy would have called the governor for that. Great fun. I've had so much fun following this thread and learned even more. Thanks everyone!

volvobrynk and need louvers ? like this.
  20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chip: Thats some crazy shit! Sounds like our luck runs in the same vein , if it would have me ; she probably would have filed a civil complaint on my ass too!

need louvers ? likes this.
  21. Mike

Mike

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

Hezbollah!

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And to think I let "THE MAD BOMBER"drive my roadster!

Chip these things only happen to special people. Don't ask me what I mean by special.

You still get to take my roadster for a good drive. I only let special people drive it. That includes me.

Yes George you are special too.

Gary

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm almost "special" enough to be wearing a soft helmet 24/7... Matter of fact, it's been suggested.

Off to Good Guy's Scottsdale!

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Aren't we all "special" in this thread ? :D
    Let's see, a terrorist in a T bucket. Hmmmm :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

I laughed so hard, the tears are running down my leg!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell I know that....they told my mom that when I was still in elementary school!o_O;)

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And Bullet that makes you special too.

28. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK one of the great HAMB artists needs to do a Roth/Mouse style T-shirt right now, with monster Chip in his bucket pressing the big red atomic button! I'll buy one! The "T-Bomb"!

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Who but a special person would spend months, years,(in my case) thousands of hours and dollars building an open car with no fenders that you can't stretch out in so powerful and dangerous that it could kill you at any time then drive it across the country wondering what everybody is looking at.

Yes guys we are all special.

Keep and k1w1rodder like this.
  30. I agree completely. To see how this car went downhill in looks saddens me.