Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Larry
    I think speedway sells all that stuff.

Gary

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Blue One, I think if I was in your shoes I'd default to my old stand by '35-'40 rear spring, some Pete and Jake's spring mounts, and tube shocks. I'm guessing that about five-six leaves are gonna do ya as far as boink. Matter of fact, one of my pet peeves is the fact that guys always seem to think they HAVE to se all the leaves in the typical ford spring... Nope. You could also do the same deal with a '37-'41 front spring if you want something narrower and more hidden. You do have to mill a 1/4" off the Pete and Jakes spring mounts to make that deal work.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man! I step away from the deal a day or two, and you guys get busy!!! Reminds me of an old saying "I am their leader, I MUST catch up to them!!!" Can't remember which famous race team leader said that, but it's stuck with me for years now.

So, a couple of days of hard work, Good buddy and H.A.M.B.er Bodi making his annual southern migration from Washington state to Phoenix have kept me busy.

As far as the Traditional T-Bucket definition, I think Gary, Steel Rebel has it nailed!

TfeverFred has it nailed as far as his car goes, too! All he has to do is be happy with his car, whether it's "traditional" or otherwise... And that s cool as hell!

Quite honestly, the question of "Is it traditional" is easily answered... Pick an era, hit E-bay or a local swap, and buy a pile of magazines from that year. It's irrefutable! What you see in those pages is what was out there and in popular use during that time period. It's so easy to say this wheel was used, or this carburation was used; but it's important to realize to things: lots of this stuff was regional, and it has always been about personal taste! If I was building a car in '63, and a type of carburation system popular in '59 came up for sale that I liked and could afford, well hell, I'd probably buy it and use it.

As general rule to go with this, it's usually okay to use somewhat older stuff than your target date, but be sure not to use stuff grossly NEWER than your target date... Make sense?

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Lol....love the leader quote. That's funny....and usually true. This is one of my favorites....having visited it a little today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just love it.....and of course, anything similar to it.

Hi Quinn by the way !! Hope you got some work in while you were out.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny, that's one of my all time favorite track roadsters in it's original form. Where were you with it today? Wally Olsen first built it in the early fifties in a very simple, tough, un-adorned serious track roadster state. It later was bought and rebuilt and ended up with the cycle fenders and striping and such. Quite the transformation!

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I totally caught that, Gary.:D;)

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, thanks for the help guys :rolleyes: :p :D Speedway sells almost everything, :D I'd like something closer to home. :D

Probably make a trip out to our So-Cal shop this week and pick up what I need. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I don't post much, but there isn't a page of this thread I haven't read. Guess that makes me a lurker. Still looking for the "Car Guy Safe" article. I can't find it on the web anywhere. Can somebody post it, or directions to it?

Still wishing I had hung on to the 'bucket I had. Oh well.

Thanks,

Devin

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember reading it and laughing my ass off, but for the life of me, I can't recall the source. Old age and memory loss.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So Marty, the one with the red ram is yours?? Nice!!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto! Friggen LOVE that car!

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks Chip, after looking at the offerings from So-Cal I think they have a rear spring that will work perfectly for me as it's the right width for my Maverick rear. They also have the mounts and all the other bits and pieces. I'll take a run there next week.

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Regarting Tfeverfred car, I really like that he used painted steelies, there is somthing about the humble look, that makes it look like average Joe's DD.

Is this before or after the crash? Or am I confused about something?
    I wish that "build threat" had Kent going on, I would love to see it IRL.

Marty Strode, I know I used the minivan as an example of what the others do, but I meant people who only drives OT/Minivans and dont care for hot rods at all. That means it was not pointed at you. :)

I'm not a big chrom fan, I'm more into painted, and running it hard.
    I'm not a fan of using show cars on the road, but I like Double Duty Racing and DD cars, that can be driven to and from the track/dessert.
    So Freds nailed that very well.

Is it possible to get more pictures?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the compliment. TONS of stuff in my album.

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Not sure how many out there are fans of the thread "vintage shots of days gone by" but the last couple of pages have some pretty kool photos of Ts. One is of what looks like an early '50s flathead powered T roadster. Anyway guys take a look.

Gary

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a question for all you knowledgeable hot rod gurus :)
    How much suspension travel do you get out of a typical pair of coil over rear shocks ?
    I have a pair of TCI All Americans.
    Larry

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I run a pair of QA-1's. I think the springs are rated at 165lbs. They're adjustable and I LOVE them. I've never bottomed out and the ride is good.... for a light weight car.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good information, what would you say is your range of suspension travel ?

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe 2 to 3". I have them at a firm setting because I don't want that "squatting" effect on a hard launch.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have 15.3" mounting length and selected my spring for the shorter travel and ride quality. The spring I wanted wasn't available in a kit, so I ordered it separately. Check them out. They cost a bit more, but the quality is second to none.

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

DSC_2686.jpg I like the late-50's vibe of this probably recent build at this year's LA Roadsters.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have 2 way adjustable QA-1 drag shocks in the front of my daily.I have the rebound set about two clicks away from full soft...;) Top notch stuff.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The guy who owns that car popped up on this thread last year...

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Check this out, Touring front half, shortenened PU bed, axle out in front of the grill shell.. This is a PNW track roadster, Hot Rod magazine, November '48.

truck 007.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks for the help. Also thanks to all who offered a solution or ideas towards one.
    I did some investigation and came up with a plan. Spent a couple of hours playing with the rear suspension jacking it up and down and the like :)
    Seems my suspension design will work better than I thought, so the coil overs and my triangulated 4 bar can also stay.
    Details here in a rather long post to repeat, as well as the latest progress on my build. :)
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-up-build-thread.460009/page-15#post-10663773
    Larry

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice build. Kind of an Ivo look. Don't remember seeing it at LARS or on here. Is that the one that was featured in R&C?

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

George Goodrich's 'bucket...

28. I'm really enjoying following along on this thread. While I don't own a T-bucket they have always been high on my list of stuff I admire. Here's another shot of the T posted by Tom Davison a few posts ago. Nice car, photographed at this years LARS.

[​IMG]

brEad, dana barlow and whiplash1923T like this.
  29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I might be getting old. MIGHT BE! but I don't remember talking about it on this thread. I'll just have to look back.

30. Gary, it was either between bldgs 4 & 6 or 6 & 7 on Sat at LARS. It was a long time ago that car was on this thread.