Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Mmmmm.....Omelets.......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just got back from the Goodguys Pleasanton Ca. Summer Nationals and this is the only picture I took. Not many buckets there and none worthy of my photo. But then it was Friday light and I rode in, in my brotherinlaws 54 Chevy. Anyway the cowls were only $10 and $20 each and could be something for you "body men" "panel pounders" or whatever you call yourselves use to build a bucket around. I think that is what the builder of the Uncertain T started with. This is the only photo of It I have. Except for the radical "out there" fiberglass body I really like the car. Probably a 90" wheelbase. If anybody has a photo of the rod with the body on please post.

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Steve's Uncertain T,was IMHO a really cool show car at the time,the time being some really out there crazy show cars in early n late 60's that I didn't care for a few of, that didn't and were not designed to actully drive around ,but should look like they did. Unlike many show cars of that time,it did drive and got out a little{no State plate] but at lest it ran.
    Maybe I liked it cuz of the time it was built and how cartoon,yet real,much like the wild car airbrush t-shirt's I was painting at the car shows. Now days I no longer like seeing a rod that looks like a cartoon,too many of them= too low to drive and too chopped to see out of if ya can sqweees in at all{thats a good thing for saltflats racing but totally sucks bad for street driving.

4. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

It took a week, but I made it through this thread. Thanks for the lessons, and knowledge shared. I've learned a lot, and it will help with my T build.

Mike

5. jerry

jerry

Bodi fit in it.

jerry

6. I'm taller than Bodi. Don't need knees touching the ears positions. :)

7. jerry

jerry

Stretch it a little and a thin seat!

jerry

8. Or just go in this direction...
    [​IMG]

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:eek: Or Not :confused: :D

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty simple fix for at least part of that! Come on down and grab the keys...

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Chip, today at the monthly Houston Hamber's breakfast, this thread came up. It was mentioned and I had to agree, that this very thread is such a treasure trove of T Bucket knowledge. 3,491 posts strong and no end in sight.

The HAMB can sometimes be a rough place. Especially if you're a T Bucket owner/builder. We're just bastards and I'm cool with it. This thread is OUR solitude. A place where the bastards can get together and figure out ways to be GREAT bastards.:D

I mentioned, because I've put a LOT of thought into it, that someone has GOT to print and save all this "stuff". If I had a working printer, it would already be a work in progress.

Just thought I'd toss out how this thread is perceived and loved by so many. Hell, even the lurkers are amazed.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My latest object of study. Is the body stretched or is it an illusion?

[​IMG]

13. ^^well proportioned, if is stretched^^

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The grill shell is a little high.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I believe it is stretched.
    Mine is stretched and my legs will love me for it, since I actually have longer legs being 5' -10" tall :D:D

Rad and grille shell 006 (2).jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

man, those parts are in NICE shape. Most everything you find up here is a LOT rougher than that!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Builds flexibility, thats important at our age! hey, it beats yoga!

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats my gut reaction, maybe 2-3"??

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Don't know what happened above. Sometimes I hate this new format.

Just click on the gray above and see my message.

Attached Files:

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup! You guys are to blame too! If it was just me spouting my line of crap about these cars and what they mean to me, every body would politely "not poke the crazy person". I'm afraid that I don't have the technical skills to make this thing a double sided print type deal that it should be. I don't know what the rules are on intellectual rights, either. So, being that it is still being written, and there more than a few chapters left to go on the car, too, lets let it roll for bit more.

It just dawned on me as rolled down Central a few minutes ago, that we missed a mile stone 10 days ago.... The first anniversary of this thread. I drove the thing home (kinda) on August 13 of last year and sort of on whim started this thread to see if anybody would care.... Thank you guys for your advice and contributions over the last year!

t-rod, missysdad1 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Well guys,I was gonna quote from some of the last day or two's postings but decided that was gonna be toooo hard. So, let me think, Now if Chip put a brighter bulb in the previously mentioned light refreshment chiller, then who ever was handing out the Beers would be able to see who all were Bare talking about the size of Bears privates combeared (compared ) to all others sitting chewing the cud. Now you guys try saying that 4 times quickly in a row.

The green bucket if extended looks awesome but I wonder if it is only the paint work that gives the illusion that it is stretched.

Well I think that was all I had to offer on this late Sunday night so will sign off and catch you all tomorrow.
    Cheers Mark.

23. AndersF

AndersF

24. missysdad1

missysdad1

Chip said: Yup! You guys are to blame too! If it was just me spouting my line of crap about these cars and what they mean to me, every body would politely "not poke the crazy person". I'm afraid that I don't have the technical skills to make this thing a double sided print type deal that it should be. I don't know what the rules are on intellectual rights, either. So, being that it is still being written, and there more than a few chapters left to go on the car, too, lets let it roll for bit more.
    It just dawned on me as rolled down Central a few minutes ago, that we missed a mile stone 10 days ago.... The first anniversary of this thread. I drove the thing home (kinda) on August 13 of last year and sort of on whim started this thread to see if anybody would care.... Thank you guys for your advice and contributions over the last year!

I've read a lot of car stuff over the years, Chip, but I can't recall many journalists with the flare for ongoing entertainment mixed with information that you seem to have tapped into here. Keep up the good work.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

All this crazy ugliness probably started in the middle to late fifties with the Ala Kart. You younguns have to remember there were no "rod runs" or outdoor venues for people to see your car. All their were were indoor car shows and after a custom rod like the Ala Kart started winning everything it entered others followed. Add to that the ease of building a kit T and the craziness of the '60s, in general builders just started trying to top each other and the ones that did add more brass, chrome, gold. and crazy paint won the top prizes through the '70s. The Grabowski and Ivo buckets even had to be changed by their new owners or be left left far behind on the show circuit. Not all but the fast majority of buckets built then were pretty UGLY and their were a lot of the UGLY ones out there.
    In the '80s when other rods came back to earth the T bucket didn't seem to follow. People just seemed to keep putting bigger back tires, taller engines and more junk. Probably because of the ease of bolting one together with little regard for what would look right.

Hopefully Chips thread is making some bucket builders look at what they are putting together and use some better judgement than those in the past.

One that didn't follow the UGLYNESS of the '60s was my late friend Dennis DeBenictus's roadster. I know I have posted it before but with all the talk here about orange paint and white headers I thought I would post it again.

Attached Files:

26. Chip, between this thread, Brians AD facebook group and the Nobucks49 thread I am fired up and back working on something. Thanks! I posted one little piece of the puzzle I did yesterday on my GMC shop truck thread

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There are still a large number of Ts out there that are survivors of the ugly times.
    They were ugly then and they are ugly now.
    One can't afford to buy and save them all, maybe this thread will help guide their future owners :)
    And we can continue having good clean fun at the same time :D

28. Also, that orange 27 posted from Bonneville has the wheels turning. My brother and I have all the parts on the shelf to bolt one together! I have been sending him shots (he is in Tulsa) of any I find here as teasers. I may have to make a roller while I wait for Elpolacko to finish the AD-Dakota crossmembers!

29. The dawn of a new era in hot rodding. Years from now people will be saying "I want to build a Quinnbucket!" ;)

I know this is '70s vintage and too late for the HAMB, but holy smoke...
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.