Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Thanks Fred, Gary and Chip for the info, knowing me, I just are too damn slow on the up take to notice that so will try with another photo.. 317.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Hey, look Mum, I did it ...;)

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think the difference lies in that your's has a lot more polish around the engine, multiple carbs and the chrome tank to balance it out....and yes it does look great! I, unfortunately do not have a T-Bucket myself, but reading this thread makes me wish I did.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You might be right Dick about the alternator vs generator battle. I think Chips thread might make more than a few converts. When more people see what non ugly T's look like maybe we'll see less ugly shit on some of them. They are just so easy to make look UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! And everybody just wants to "do their own thing" on them. Don't do your own thing. Listen to Chip!

brEad likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Check the heads. Now THAT really is a "corvette motor". '57-'58 fi. Throw those bad boys on ebay, and watch the fur fly...
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Gen vs alt.,now days I pick alt. for a driver{way less prob.,but if I did have a trailer Qween it would have a gen. I actully enjoy designing and making my own brackets to put stuff were I like it. Sometimes there is not really room down low beside a engine. The do make some up top brackets for SBC,but I too found them ether too high or out too far to the side. For my son's T "Pandora",we custom made brackets to hold alt. pretty close to top of left valvecover. I'll add pic if I can find one.

8. dana barlow likes this.
  9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm really thinking about going to my Chrysler alternator. It may stay high on the right side even with the short pump as it's quite a bit thinner than the G.M. style alt. The cool thing about the Chrysler unit is that it looks fifties, but also went into production in '59, and again if you really look it made it's way onto a few hot rods in the early sixties. The first one that comes to mind was one of the least graceful, but the Barris redo of the Tommy Ivo car has the cover Main shot on the November '64 Car Craft, and there it is... A Chrysler alternator.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Chip I mounted mine next to the head on the drivers side. It is tucked in nicely.
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Mine is dowrn low on driver's side.
    I remember someone coverting generators to have alt. guts, but not sure who. Moon, maybe?
    Who ever it was, they weren't cheap!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. You can just make it out under the radiator hose.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They are call Powergen. And man, if I could afford one I'd rock an "ugly" generator out on the left side pipes too! That isn't going to happen though...

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

With the Mustang engine in my Roadster I had a G.M. alternator tucked in low. I like your idea of the Chrysler alt. for the early '60s look Chip. Really has a distinctive look. Think I'll put the top back on for next season. DSCN2135.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I really need to do a top for my car... Keeping the sun off me would be such a major improvement this time of year.

16. Also if you want to hide it they make a really small Alt, Sanyo I think, for imports. We used one on my buddys Blown small block chebby. Tucked down and on the drivers side.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

For some reason, to ME even a Chevy alternator tucked down low on the driver's side screams 1989. That's when I remember first seeing that type of bracket assembly on the market. I know guys were doing the same earlier, but that what I remember. I keep looking at engine picts in the old mags of the era, and the generator is of course the main thing I see. The Chrysler wasn't common, but it seems it ran a distant second to the generator. There has got to be a way to make this work and keep it somewhat era specific.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like the idea of the chrysler alternator. IIRC, Neuman did a how-to on installing a mopar alternator on his roadster in 1961 R&C.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I ran the top for maybe 7 or 8 years and in some high winds at times. It developed a small tear on the right front corner. I also have always thought it should come down (a little wider) about an inch lower on the sides. To kill two birds I need to take it back to my upholstery guy and have him add another double layer of material about an inch onto the top material and an inch down. If done right I think it should add a nice look to the top and strengthen it too. DSCN2992.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, Ivo's top is what I will shoot for.

21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

22. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I was going for the Kookie Kar top look and looking at these photos mine needs to come down maybe an inch on the sides. But I agree your T needs the Ivo look. And here again if you go much higher than his you get into the ugly. SANY0026.jpg SANY0097.jpg

23. Now Chip don't make this overly hard. Get one of the real small Alts and slide it into an Old Generator casing.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thought about that Fuzzy. I have a couple of generator cases around these parts to do it with too. Maybe...

25. missysdad1

missysdad1

Pleeeeeeze! Say it isn't so! Normie-poo's bikini top is borderline okay, but Ivo's looks like "My Mother the Car"! Besides, how can Miss Ugly continue to be a "roaster" if you put a top on it, eh? Go for a ball cap, Chip. Much more hep...and cheaper, too.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I hate to disagree. No I don't. Norm's Kookie Kar top is perfect. Almost sports car style. Ivo's is borderline okay. It's going to be difficult to build a top that isn't ugly high and be still able to get into a T without a door. That is why you see so many ugly high tops. It will be interesting to see what Chip comes up with. He can do it if anybody can. Here are a couple more photos. Not sure if I like either. SANY0061.jpg SANY0062.jpg

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah, come on over to Phoenix for the balance of the week and hang out, Eric. By the end of it, you'll understand WHY it's gonna eventually be a necessity. It not even that it's 115 out, (little known fact, that is measured in the shade...) it's that the sun is beating down on you as you sit at light lights or even drive along. I've already had to stop and hydrate up to avoid heat prostration a couple of time this summer, and that's just rolling across town. it'll come off for winter though, what ever I build.

28. I've been concerned about tearing and streching also. Mine really bows in between the two bars that run from the header to the first bow. I've been thinking about adding a third one in the center, with a few cross braces between them. I've also thought about just putting a piece of sheetmetal between the existing ones from header to bow, but not sure how thick to use. There's a significant amout of pressure on it at 70mph.

Sent from my LGL45C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I've been looking at these tops to try to decide what I like and don't like about them. I think what I don't like about a lot of T tops are the ones that just go strait from the windshield to where they drop down in back. They need a break and drop back somewhere in the top. Even Ivo's has a slight one and that is what I think I like about it.