Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its all good, I gotta watch it, any more projects and people are gonna start calling me a "hoarder"!:p

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You know, I keep telling myself the "backdate the owl T" deal is a non-starter, but the parts pile still grows, recently snagged a '57 corvette tach drive dual point for cheap. All I need for the motor now is carbs and a set of cheap 9 fin valve covers...:rolleyes::D

3. jerry

jerry

Chip, where are those cheapy fuel regulators that you use available. All I can find are the Mr Gasket version for $25 and up!

Cool, Bodi going have a project!

jerry

4. I've been noticing that trend here as well! First, Walmart subbed their Music, DVD, and Book depts out to a vendor who SUCKS (my closest Walmart has only had Diesel Power and some new Garage Projects (or something like that) for the last month at least! Then the big mess at Source Interlink started, and the number of car Magazines that Albertson's carried seems to have dropped as well. Gotta go to Barnes and Noble to get anything good!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's exactly what I have been using. I get them off the "hi po" rack at O'Riely's when the need arises.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Not sure why the quote system is not working so well lately, but BlownFuel, I asked the store manager yesterday about what was up with the magazine deliveries. He told me that the local distribution company that stocked and maintained the racks folded after "some large magazine conglomerate" had problems... Guess this thing is effecting much more than our ability to buy car mags.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm lucky the Safeway at the lower end of the lake stocks Rod Kulture but the Safeway at the more affluent upper end of the lake doesn't. Not sure why. It is a quartile and after I bought two and my good Paul friend bought one I went back and they were all gone after about a week on the shelf. Glad I got mine. One to keep and one to wear out showing off.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry

I must be getting old, I can remember the $4.98 Fil-o-Reg along side the little square fuel pumps in every parts store you went into! Freaking inflation!

jerry

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, you are getting old...

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

To dream the impossible dream...To fight the unbeatable foe...:p

ok, so I posted this, like what, ten hours ago?? So totally HAMB unrelated, just by fluke, as of about an hour ago, I have a lead on the last piece of the puzzle, a set of '56/early 57 short-script nine fin valve covers!!!:eek: I'll let you guys know how this pans out!
    Shit, the way things are going lately, maybe I should start looking for a barn-find fifties indy car! I seem to just keep tripping over cool shit lately!

11. That is too cool - love those 9 fin covers!

Steve

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Louvers.3000 replies to a nonsense thread.And you said no one pays any attention to ya.:p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

need louvers ? likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I still gotta see them to make sure they 1) are in fact, nine fin 2) are in the condition they were described, and not all beat to hell, and 3) pay for the bloody things...:eek: I just thought it was funny that I heard about a set a few hours after I posted on here about how hard it is to find them.
    If I end with them, I'll post pics. Still waiting for decent pics of the '39 I bought, so I can post those. I saw cell phone pics, but didnt put them on my computer.:rolleyes::(

seadog likes this.
  14. Seeing that you guys were talking about oil, if you can't find what you need locally I can ship to you. I handle Lucas, Brad Penn, Royal Purple and Joe Gibbs maybe even some I don't know that the warehouse is stocking!

Chip, I like the progress, looking forward to the tripower.

15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

SANY0095.jpg SANY0096.jpg 3,000 posts and George and I have probably posted 1,000 of them. I hear "I really don't like T Buckets" so often I have lost count. Well somebody must like them. A lot of somebody's like T Buckets. Every time a thread about them is started it almost never ends. Lets keep this one going because my day isn't complete until I see a post on it. Maybe if Chip doesn't mind whenever one of us makes a change for the better on our T roadster we could post it here.
    Okay I'll start. Just before LARS I changed the metric size steel kingpin bolts with ones I turned down to the right size on my old trusty Craftsman lathe form 1/2" S.S. bolts. The kingpin bolt hole size in V8 60 axles is smaller than I-beam axles and for some reason and a metric bolt just fits. 1/2" bolts are just a little big.
    The second thing I did after discovering at LARS that my taillight sockets were severely corroded from Bonn. salt was to tear out the old sockets and epoxy in new ones. When you do that you have to ground the socket to the can. Then I used a lot of shrink tubing to keep out any future junk.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well done Rebel! And yes, I don't mind at all if you guys post cool stuff that you are doing to your cars. Just keep it pre-'64 inspired, or updates of that sort of thing. ANYTHING you guys are doing is inspiration for what I'm up too. I really have wanted this to be a little bit everybody's thread since the get-go. We have some of the most talented and enthusiastic traditional T-Bucket folks out there today following this thread, lets see what you are up to!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats what I really love about this thread, it really is like a virtual "shop night at Chips". If we were all over at Chips watching him work on his T, passing tools and BS, no one would say "hey, dont talk about _____ its not T bucket related." pretty much anything to do with whatever car anyone was working on would be fair game, thats how it is in the "real world" if a group of us got together. This thread is sorta like my HAMB "home thread", and I think its the same deal for quite a few of the other guys that are regulars on here, and thats what makes it so cool. Its more like how it would be if we were all just hanging out, shooting the breeze about cars. We wander off and talk about parts we've scored, car shows we have been at lately, cool shit we've seen, then its back to the T for bit, and off on another tangent. The HAMB core t-bucket guys all standing around having a gab fest. Cant beat that with a stick...

whiplash1923T and volvobrynk like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Chip,I may of missed it,but about a tonuo or top,are ya going to at some point do one?,.
    On other notes;
    I did do a kind of update to my old hotrod I built in 1959 that I just restored,I had some alum sheet at first witch I had polished as a firewall n back panel in my bobtail. Frankly it was hard to keep as shiny as I liked. So when a buddy that works out a Miami Intern. Airport saw them tair down one of the old Artdeco buildings,and scrap the artdeco shiny stainless steel wall with industrel rivit design in it. That stuff was so cool to me an FREE,it was a must. Here a photo of the back as it is now{my is not a "T"really but 28 photo 3.JPG IMAG1677.jpg "A" built in a kind of a "T" style

brEad, whiplash1923T and tfeverfred like this.
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Dana, I dig the stainless! it's a shame that an Art Deco building had to come down, but it is good to see creative adaptive re=use of the good stuff. I'm all about that, as my residence is a turn of the last century bungalow that has been "restored" on a budget using mostly slavaged stuff from fallen buildings here in town.

As far as the toneau and top, yes, it will get them soon. Maybe next. I read through your top thread you did, and although I don't plan on mine being foldable, I'll be following what you did fairly closely.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Some random updates for you guys! The biggie for this week has been the rolled front pan. I did shoot step by step for this one, and if anybody would like to see it I'll do it as tech, nothing earth shaking though. It's literally just 18ga. cut out, filed and shaped over stuff I had. I've even turned hems on my "Playskool My first brake" I.E. Harbor Freight cheapie brake and a hammer and dolly. this will get the lower radius refined a bit more and welded to the grill shell soon. It will also retain the louvered perch cover. SAM_6710.JPG SAM_6711.JPG

I mentioned the other day engine turning the master cylinder cover... Funny, in the week that has been done it has garnered lots of positive comments. I believe the mats I intend to make for this might feature a cut out so it remains visible... maybe. SAM_6726.JPG

Got my carb arms, and decided that they could use some improving. The fact that it has been nearly 115 out for the last week has made it easy to do small stuff inside, too. Which arm would you prefer for your three carb deal? SAM_6677.JPG

Also, I have the finned drums and the backing plates ready to fly as we speak! I'm going to hold off on installing them until the week after next, as I have a bit of other stuff to do, like welding on some brake line tabs the P.O. didn't feel were necessary, and re-plumbing some of the lines to go where I want them to. I also was thinking about cutting down the anchors to use the thinner bodied stainless Nylock nuts, but wanted to run it past you guys before I did it. On one hand, my analytical mind says it's a brake part and needs the most strength it can get, the the other side of that though says the anchor going through several layers of steel is what does the actual job of anchoring things, not torque of the fastener... SAM_6719.JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those backing plates look great. Nice job.

22. Thats what I love about this thread, my day seems to be a dead loss unless I get my 'bucket of ugly' fix. When I find there hasn't been a post for a day or so I feel like someone has stolen some thing from me:(,
    so long may it continue and pass another beer:D:D

whiplash1923T likes this.
  23. And Dana the stainless looks cool:cool:

dana barlow likes this.
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Exactly! 'Course, if we were all at my place, the Safeway grocery would be a bit richer from all the steaks we would be doin' on the grill... Bodi says the scent of my marinade hitting the grill should be bottled and sold as cologne...

whiplash1923T likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well maybe sometime next year we can actually do that.

need louvers ? likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sir, you have GOT to post more pics of your "kinda T Bucket". Please!

whiplash1923T and dana barlow like this.
  27. Russt29

Russt29
    from Phoenix,Az

Hey Chip, do you incorporate Bombay and lime in that marinade?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nope! But I have made an incredible sorbet out of Sapphire and tonic! Two limes please!

The steak marinade I use is soooooo damned simple and good it should be outlawed. Go to the Asian market and get Double Black soy sauce, and the grocery store and get Lee and Perrin's Worcestershire, and a nice cut of Rib Eye with some good marbling. Soak the meat down for a couple hours in equal parts of the two sauces and a buch of fresh ground pepper. Slather a touch of olive oil on right before cooking it. Get your grill to the point of near nuclear melt down hot, throw that meat on there quick so you don't loose any heat, close the lid and DON'T open it for two minutes. Then, again quickly, turn the steaks. close the lid for two more minutes. No matter what you hear, or think you hear, for the love of Gwad DON'T open the lid. Two minutes, open it up, flip again, but take a bit of time so it cools things a bit. Two more minutes, flip leisurely again and after the last two you should be at a good medium rare..... Heaven!

Of course, serve it with a Sapphire and tonic...

Now I'm wr

29. Although it's a pretty rough car, I scored a mostly complete '48 Plymouth 2 door sedan yesterday afternoon. Gotta get papers on it and make room down at the shop for it then figure out what to do with it. My first thought was just to buy it for the chassis for my coupe, but the more I think about it, it would make a cool driver for my wife....and maybe help put that damn horse thing off a while. Gonna go take some pics now.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

1/2 a cup olive oil, squeeze a lemon, half a head of mashed roasted garlic, chopped fresh basil, bit of brown sugar. Porterhouse, leave it in there as long as you can stand the wait (at least overnight) nuclear meltdown on the coals, 3-4 minutes a side, take 'em off, let 'em rest about 10 minutes, and EAT EM! OH YEA!