Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Bob Roddick Story: Part 1

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

WOW!
    thanks for posting these!

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I love stories of pioneers! This is one of the best. You can just feel the times and imagine the conversations through those photos

4. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

its amazing to see the world through the eye of a camera even before my mom was born... these photos will probably stay around even longer than we would ever imagine. Its great to know that someone that knows what they are talking about/doing, still enjoys running around in circles snapping pictures for younger generations such as mine to enjoy... amazing people, with extraordinary skills.

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Ryan,

Great Pictures! We want more!

Imagine how many more shoeboxes are out there filled with history, waiting to be found.

This should be a great project for many of us during these winter months....Go to your parents or older relatives homes and dig around in the attics, basements, and storage areas and see what turns up. Do it now, not later while the people that took the pictures are still with us, so they can put thier words to the images.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Trust me... there is much more to come in 7 days... You guys are gonna freak...

7. Gerg

Gerg

It's hard to beleive that such a well documented story has never been told. I hope everyone working on this one the family and Ryan are very proud to be putting this one together.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Another thoroughly enjoyable and professional presentation! Great read this morning, thanks Ryan very much for this one!

New logo looking good there too Boss!

9. KCsledz

KCsledz

Incredible!

10. dgang26

dgang26

VERY cool -- loved the story AND the photos --

11. Elrod

Elrod

Can't wait for the sequel!

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for more.

Thanks for sharing:cool:

13. 53chevy

53chevy

The Photos are out of this world. It's great to give him the Spot Light he deserved. There are two things I like about this story, the Photos of course, and the story. I enjoy studying/looking over each photo and of course a knowledgeable story about the man, Bob Roddick. It's about him, his photos, and Hot Rods. Thanks for letting us peak into a part of his great life. More of these stories need to be done!

Ken

14. 3GJalopy

3GJalopy

I'll say it. This is the best thing I've ever seen on the internet. I don't post much, but I read every day. The Jalopy Journal has become my favorite source for hot rod inspiration. Better than TRJ, better than Hop Up, better than the big mags. Forums are fine and dandy, but nothing beats your writing Ryan. Thank you for giving me something to read every morning.

15. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

Outstanding. Another great entry.

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks so much for taking the time to scoop out the story and post the photos. That picture of the SoCal streamliner is amazing. It is so real-- unposed, uncommercial-- it was there to race.
    I hope Bob's family logs on and shares their memories of Bob and insight to the photos.
    You have my attention, I can't wait to see what's next. :)

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the nice words guys... I have to say, I've never had so much fun researching for an article. Imagine getting 60 to 80 images that have never been seen before (in some cases have never even been developed) and the feeling ya get as you identify each car in each photo. It's been incredible... And I can't wait to show you guys the rest.

A special thanks goes out to Dave and Gwynn... Dave is a car guy and really gets the images. Without him having the foresite to save a lot of things, this wouldn't be happening.

18. solid

solid

More. I Need More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. I've been getting lots of history lessons lately...

20. sixinarow

sixinarow
    from Fargo, ND

This is incredible! I can't wait to see the rest

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Really neat stuff here...needs to be in a book!

22. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Wow. Great snaps. Waiting impatiently for the next batch.

23. von Dyck

von Dyck

The cars of bygone eras, the people, the events, the tools and equipment --- that black and white photography --- puts us back where hotrodding was truly inventive, raw and gritty! Tow bars fabbed from Model A wishbones (to flat tow your car to the track) and simple single axle channel-iron car trailers (owner fabbed) show us what was important to the hot rodder back then. Money was spent where it meant the most - performance. Can we go back? Hardly. Many of us try and are successfull to a certain degree, but our culture, our planned obsolescence technology and our state laws put a limit on those freedoms we used to consider normal "back in the day". Thanks for photography and archives which allow many of us to reminisce.

24. JEFF STROOP

JEFF STROOP

OMG!!! This is freakin awesome. Do we really have to wait 7 days to get the rest of the story!!!!

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

7 days for part 2... A little longer for part 3...

26. Rolo

Rolo
    Alliance Vendor

Absolutely incredible. Can't wait to see more!

27. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

You've definitely got my attention, Ryan. Can't wait for the next installment.

28. radredrod

radredrod

Ryan, I was waiting in eager anticipation for this post...you'd mentioned something about un published pics from B'ville before Christmas. WOW!! And there's more? Cool!

29. mmancari

mmancari
    from new haven

I would love a book of all the shots! It's time to get a publisher

30. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Ryan you've done it again. Simply incredible. And thanks to those helping you as well. So cool............