Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Blizzard Coupe 1936 Ford 5 Window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Jan 27, 2015.

1. speters

speters

Friday I was checking craigslist and stumbled upon an ad for a 36 5 window that looked like a solid car that had been sitting for a long time. A quick call to the owner gave me the impression that this was a great car at a good price. He bought the car back in 1991 and had only used it a few times. He claimed the brakes weren't right and he put it away with the plans to fix them some day. Maybe update "to one of those modern front ends". He tells me he doesn't know much about cars and he doesn't even know if the car still has mechanical brakes. I scheduled an appointment to come check out the car Monday. Only problems are the car is a stones throw from the Canadian border and Winter Storm Juno is about to slam the northeast. Nothing is going to stop me from scoring this deal. Here are the shots from the craigslist ad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sunday rolls around and I end up selling a TCI chassis I had to one of the guys in the Ty-Rods of Massachusetts and as part of the deal I offer to drop it off in Mass on my way north. Monday morning I am out of the shop by 6am with the trailer and TCI chassis. Every radio station is warning that the world is about to end and everyone needs to hide in their homes with enough food and water to last a lifetime. (It is just snow people!) I get the chassis dropped off around 8 and head north. I pull in around 1pm and meet Allen the owner. He has cleaned off all the junk from the pictures and sitting there is a killer 36. He pulls out a sheet of paper from a typewriter he got from the previous owner and starts to read off all the work that was done prior to him purchasing the car in 1991: Fully restored interior and rumble seat
    Converted to 12v
    All new wiring
    1947 Merc flathead
    Isky 3/4 race cam and valve springs
    Edelbrock 8.75 heads
    Edmunds intake with 2 97s
    Tube shocks front and back
    Juice brakes
    Rebuilt 39 Trans
    Light flywheel with new clutch disc and pressure plate
    Optional heater
    ....and the list goes on and on....
    My jaw is hitting the floor at this point. Keep in mind NONE of this info was in the ad. He didn't know any of this info until he found this sheet a few minutes before I arrived. A quick look around proves that the metal and lacquer paint are in great shape with only a few small cracks and scratches from all the years since it was restored. The interior smells fresh and clean and there are no leaks showing anywhere. I pull out the cash, sign the paperwork (it was so cold the ink in the pen kept freezing) and load it on the trailer. Here is one last shot of Allen with his car.
    [​IMG]
    I made it almost all the way back to Connecticut before seeing any snow and I was back at the shop just before 8pm. I unloaded the snow covered 36 into the shop and wiped it down quickly. Just in time to drive home before the 9pm driving ban came into effect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I can't wait to clear the snow and get to the shop so I can really dig into this thing and clean it up.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I was never fond of tires painted to match the wheel covers...

(lucky friggin basturd)

kidcampbell71 and dorf like this.
  3. Uptown83

Uptown83

Good for you. Easy car to clean up and hit the road with.

4. TinShed

TinShed

Nice, Looks like it needs a bath, buff and check-over and it is ready to roll. I would probably drop the front axle, reverse the spring eyes and not touch anything else.

5. wow, what a find!...good luck with it.

6. Funny how a fairly long term owner doesn't know the details of his car. Probably couldn't figure out why it wouldn't idle smooth! Rumpity-rumpity.
    Nice score!

7. Retro61

Retro61

WOW! Awesome Score!!

8. GREAT score! Looks like a good one!

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Terrific find! And good timing with the weather!

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

way cool. Great find, keep us posted...

11. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm a little cranky , been at work too long and will go ahead and say it.... You suck. The nice guy side of me is going to come back out....

Congrats. That's a good story and an even better find.

12. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Very nice! Wish I would Stumble upon something that clean.

13. was that the one up near St. Albans?

14. brady1929

brady1929

Awesome. I love 36 fords. Great score.

15. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Very nice, always have to jump fast when opportunity knocks.

16. Have you bought a lottery ticket yet,,do it now while your on a lucky streak! HRP

17. jeta12

jeta12

Very nice!!!...can't wait to see if cleaned up and running.

18. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

What a great car, and all the mods necessary have already been done. You just hit the jackpot.

19. Movinman

Movinman

What a great score! Congrats!

20. speters

speters

Yes it was up there.

Things I forgot to mention it had:
    Later steering box (maybe F1? I need to look harder)
    All New Bushings
    4 SW gages in a chrome cluster under the dash (you can kinda see them in the picture)
    Electric fuel pump
    Electric Fan
    Larger core radiator
    Fenton Headers
    Custom Exhaust

Thanks everyone! Tomorrow will be a fun day in the shop for sure. I want to see if I can bring the white walls back to life. They might be to far gone. I think the wheels need a color change as well. What do you guys think? Black?

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Cool score. Lucky guy.

22. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow!! Great score! That is seriously awesome!

23. mike bowling

mike bowling

I just hope you realize all your good luck for 2015 just got used up ( but it was worth it).Nice score, that is a totally PISSAH rig .

24. speters

speters

Here is the old typed out list. I can't read the line that is in the fold.
    [​IMG]

25. speters

speters

I think it just says new tires and tubes

26. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

That's awsome......and it sounds like you deserve every bit of it after driving through what could have easily turned into horrendous conditions

27. Voh

Voh

X2 Tires and Tubes

28. Just....wow! It looks like you got a super nice car. You seem to be happy with the price so this looks like its gonna be a good year for you!

29. Screw the Lottery ticket, you already won!! Good on you.-MIKE:eek::D:cool: