Register now to get rid of these ads!

The best Penetrating Oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead 34, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Yeah, well, Toyota had to develop something decent....since their '70s-'90s trucks had the little problem of serious through-rust within 12 months of purchase, in some cases. :D

2. jokerjason

jokerjason

Been working at a power plant for 16 years now and we buy Kroil in 55 gallon drums......and use the hell out of it. Seems to work good on just about everything except for some stainless steels. I Need to try the Acetone/atf sometime. JOKER JASON.

3. dudley32

dudley32

:eek:warning !!...use in moderation...I tried some of this stuff on some old parts ...and my deck fell off the house...:D:D

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Sounds like they copied whatever Ford was doing on their trucks during the early to mid '70s. Or, maybe those Ford trucks were made using the steel from scraped Toyota trucks?:D

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I've never used the stuff, but I have heard that it is red and looks and smells very similar to thin ATF. Maybe ATF/Acetone is the Gibbs secret recipe?

And the guys at Gibbs are all shitting their pants every time this subject comes up here? Haha

6. Kano for years but need to try the Acetone my self....

7. 62nova

62nova

Will this work as a lube also? Just curious.

8. shocker998md

shocker998md

another one on the gibbs.

I have also found that marvel mystery oil is awsome for soaking parts, and is decently priced at the gallon. I use it alot with working on old guns that are rusty. Ive also used it to free up stuck rusted nuts and bolts.

9. hmmmm. might have to try the atf, I was dissapointed in the PB Blaster the other night and it did not work well in my model A hindge pins.

10. brayrod

brayrod

This has been covered on numerous other websites with varying results but I find the 50/50 Acetone ATF mix to work good. I split the price of it with a friend so we could both try it and he has had good results too. We are frugal so we put it in empty household cleaner spray bottles. We find it will separate pretty quickly so give the bottle a good shake before spraying and let it set for a few minutes to work.

11. These figures don't mean much unless they had controls to ensure that each nut/bolt was stuck equally. I guess they could have torqued them all to the same amount and left them all in the same oxidizing environment for a specified period of time. I'm an engineer....can't help it.

12. big creep

big creep

yea we get in there deep baby!:p " thats what she said!"

13. All though technically not an oil KY works pretty damn good.

14. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The entire deal is posted on a website. The write-up is pretty detailed. A link was posted on another forum I visit. I read it it then didn't bother saving it. As I remember all the fasteners were tightened the same amount, then the torque required to unscrew them was recorded. No surprise, the test proves is that ATF isthe best lubricant in the bunch. Problem is, lubricating isn't the same thing as attacking rust and corrosion. I think Kroil is on the acidic side, which probably has a lot to do with it working so well.