Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. xgarfieldx

xgarfieldx

Man awsome and good luck!!!

2. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Neat 3 caddies in the driveway. Grille looks GREAT worth all the hard work putting it together.

3. mad-cad

mad-cad

Brilliant,a true custom work of art.As for lowering the back just throw a few of bags of sand in the boot ..I mean trunk.

4. NoPaint

NoPaint

I say go for aga blue on the bottom and sand beige roof.

5. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

Wow, this is the first time i've seen this one... Coop is looking GREAT!

6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

You just know it's going to be a good build when the parts come in Beer boxes! Especially "High Life" Miller and Mondelo!

7. 21tat

21tat

WOW. That was great! Looking forward to seeing the rest. Thanks.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

Welcome back my friend. And I hope you and your bro's trip was a blast as I'm sure it was. As for you caddy all I can say is wow, from day one until now. WOW...ghost

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man, lookin great so far, I dig the grill. Nice job.

10. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Its really coming together nicely.Pretty soon your gonna be done.:)

11. PSB

PSB

truly Fine!

12. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Awesome build and fabrication work. That is a sweet Caddy. Great ideas and little touches.

13. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

BAd Asssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see it done !

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Someone wanted to see a profile shot of the Cad...well, this is close...this is the only one I have right now...but I'll shoot a couple more now that it's out of the garage...

R-

[​IMG]

15. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

such pure real craftsmanship i love it

16. VonBurke

VonBurke

very well done...

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool!! Love those lines.

It is really not fair to tease us with just one picture.....Kan't wait to see it next month.

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Weee-eeel Mick, it ain't next month, it's the next day since you posted, so here's a mild update...I spent everyday last week working on the Caddy, getting it ready to go to GoodGuy's event at THE RANCH in Loveland, ColoRODo on June 5,6 and 7...the first thing I did was to add some jute to the trunk to quiet all the stuff I carry, took care of a few rattles...

[​IMG]

The next thing I did was to unwrap all my newly polished stainless trim (and find all the clips) and attach it all to the body...it all looks killer against the primered body...

[​IMG]

The next thing I did was to go find some tuneage...and then find a place to mount it. I bought a Sony CD and since my speakers were already mounted in the car, all I had to do was wire it...took a few hours to run all of it, but it sure is nice to listen to Elton John singing and many more tunes as I run down the highway.

Then I finished off the grille by adding a couple more pieces to the top of it so you can't see the small 'gap' under the hood...

Then my upholstery guy called and said he'd finished the door panels for me, and the rear seat armrests and I installed them so I got about half an interior now. Then I had to mount solid the seat (I had to run a couple of bolts thru the runners since I didn't bolt in the electric seat motors and I didn't need it to move around on me) and the whole thing is heavy so I didn't want to add weight since it'll have to come back out to add jute and carpet. I'll add some pix of the new interior at a later update...

So. long about Thursday, after finally checking everything that turns, rolls or moves, and all the fluids in the car, I decided the Cad was ready to make a road trip at hiway speeds...we hit the hiway at 8 AM Friday morn heading north...with some trepidation...but about 20-25 miles into the trip, my anxiety eased...the car is running good.

Hour and one half later we rolled into the event and cruised around until we found a parking spot...

And so, here we are at GG's:

[​IMG]

Dan's '54 is running like a top with the new engine/tranny...my engine is running...it burns a bit more fuel than I'd like, but maybe new plug wires will help and maybe even a new Edelbrock carb might help some...

[​IMG]

We made three trips up and back to Loveland (I'm cheap, it was less expensive to buy gas to go back and forth than pay $140 a nite to sleep in a 'rental' bed -- it was only an hour and one half each way), and I ended up putting over 600 miles on my '55 Caddy...I guess it's "broken in" now...

As it was, the trip home on Sunday was an experience...it rained and hailed (pea size) on us in several spots on the way...found out the Cad windshield is not sealed (the rubber is old and hard --that'll get changed when I find a new WS) so I had water running over my dash and under it dripping on my feet... and since I didn't mount my WS wipers (rubbers are rotten), had to rely on Rain-X...and it works well enuff. Also found out one of my weld jobs wasn't good enuff...my air cleaner hold down broke in half and my air cleaner was almost off the carb when I got home and in the garage to check out the noise under the hood, but that was the only thing I found...so far.

So, the Cad is not a garage virgin anymore...the engine has lots of torque and runs good and the tranny works fine...and, best part, it rides like a Caddy should...smooooooooooth...!!!

R-

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  19. Beautiful cad!

20. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Saw your Caddy at the Goodguys show and it is very cool. Great work and a sweet car.

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are not cheap, you just love to drive your sleds..........If I had a Caddy
    like yours, I wouldn't want to get out of it either. Thanks for the update, the profile
    is way too kool!! Love the grill, that front end is a bugs nightmare.

Kongrats on the successful 600 mile break in.

Happy Trails,

Mick

22. RCCrawler

RCCrawler
    from Denver

Kickass ride, saw it at the show.

23. Its looking sweet Roger. Keep up the good work. Damn I gotta see it in person. Excuse me I need to go into the bathroom and grab some tissues.

24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looks fantastic Roger.
    I remember those first pics you sent me just after you bought it. Hard to believe its the same car!!!
    Can't wait to see it with its final coat of gleaming paint.
    Very cool car.

25. VonBurke

VonBurke

speaking of paint... are you planning on paint this season?

26. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Car is currently in primer...interior is being finished as we "speak"...watch for an interior update in the next two weeks or so...been driving the car since May 16th...1500 miles so far and three states...about 17/18 mpg...runs and drives well...

R-

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  27. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

UPDATE...7-19-09...YEEEHAW...It's finally starting to look LIKE a CADDY...!!!

Just got the car back home on Thursday nite...put in the seat belts yesterday...getting ready to roll off to Salina for the Leadsled Nats next Thursday...

So, in just a matter of days, the Coop DeVille went from this...

[​IMG]
    All the way to this...

[​IMG]

And then starting at the top, it went to this...

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

and finally this...

[​IMG]

It's nice to be able to call on friends in a time of need, especially just a week before you are scheduled to leave..."Hey Ed, I NEED to have the interior in the Caddy done for Salina."

As you can tell from the above pix...the yellow paint I started with is definitely OUT...!!!

So, for all of those going to Salina, you can check out the car there...I'll see most of you there...

R-

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

looking great roger,,,,,,always look forward to your updates,,,
    the scoop with the teeth is such a cool idea,,,,,
    what is the final color?,,,
    i think caddy had a stock color called fontana rose,,
    sort of a lavender mist metallic that would look great on her..
    judging from your taste, im sure whatever color you end up using will
    be fantastic,,,keep up the good work,,

ps: LOVE the fact that you are rackin up the miles as you build her..

29. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Man this caddy is gonna be sweet! It's already badd ass, can't wait to see it with the color on it. The interior looks great.

30. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal