Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The barn find Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Miller, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Just brought it home and got it cleaned up. Looked at this Ranchero a couple of months ago parked under a shed for 23 years, the owner and I finally found a price both of us could live with so I pulled the trigger today. Bought one new back in 65 and it has always been that car I wished I'd never sold. This one is a 302/c-4 car with a lot of upgrades. Looking forwards to fixing the damage sitting for all these years and making it look like my old one.

Attached Files:

2. TinShed

TinShed

Nice find, the 80's were hard on that poor girl!!!

Deuces and Barn Find like this.
  3. Yea, but it's reversable.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Those are cool little rides. Looks like a great score. Here's to losing the Centerlines and raised white letters in.... 3.... 2....

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Took it to DMV today and got the title changed, the more it sits out in the sun the more of that paint blisters up and peels up, it's like the primer and sealer don't like each other. Stripping all that off may not be the chore I thought it would be, just set it out on sunny afternoons.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

An 80's build being a barn find is like 80's music being played on an oldies station. Kind of depressing getting old.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - something like time period that my '57 Ranchero that last was on the street in '87

8. Mike: You mentioned the effect the sun has on the paint. I have in the past, set cars out in the hot sun and stripped paint off to the primer with a razor blade....blocked it and re-painted!!! Much less body work. Tim

9. I'm kind of hoping that's how it will go Tim.

10. 69supercj

69supercj

Nice ride. I kinda like the centerlines and raised white letter tires. Think she would look good in those shoes dressed in a jet black dress.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'm in. Please keep us posted on the progress.

12. Congratulations, looks like a great project.

13. What are your plans with the car? Looks like a great foundation. Any pictures of your old one?

14. great save! was their a Whitesnake cassette in the glovebox!:rolleyes: i was guilty of having a few paint jobs like that!

15. Only a couple, I wasn't much on photos back then. This is the only one that comes to mind.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Gammz and jakespeed63 like this.
  16. Started surveying the car to compile a list of things to do on it, probably the first few things are to figure out where the P/O was going with the electrical, and clean up the engine bay. Looks like it still has the small springs in front and they are sagging, also I don't recognize some of the steering linkage. I do have a parts car with all the V8 stuff still intact so if need be I can just replace everything.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, winr and volvobrynk like this.
  17. nice score ...

a little TLC and she will be on the road in no time =0)

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

That's a funky brake pedal too.

Turnipseed likes this.
  19. That car looks like it was allergic to soap, water and a vacuum. Just cleaning it up will probably feel like you've invested money in it. Congrats on your score, looking forward to your progress.

Scott/Gotta56forme

20. Yes, looks like he connected the clutch and brake togeather with a piece of flat bar and glued that rubber to it. but that can be fixed later. First thing is to get it started and assess the mechanical.
    And that's after I gave it the once over with a scrub brush before taking it for the VIN inspection.

21. 52HardTop

52HardTop

It is a cool little car/ truck... Don't you just wish the bed was just a smidgin longer?

22. As I remember mine was pretty handy the way it was, I could fit two dirt bikes in it with the gate down . They are on the same platform as the Courier and two door wagon only they weigh just a bit over 2500Lbs. Makes them pretty snappy and fun to drive.

23. I cleaned things up and gave the little car a good looking over. Lots to do mechanically and to the electrical, what the P/O did twenty six years ago doesn't quite work for me, so in to the shop comes the parts car, (over the years I've collected up quite a stash of 64/65 Ranchero parts) and off comes the front suspension and the engine compartment wire harnesses.
    The front suspension and steering linkage has a few pieces that I don't recognize to be for a V8 Falcon and the toe on the front wheels changes radically with the ride height so I will change out the cross link and tie rods to what should be under there and while I'm at it strip out all the good parts from the parts car's rusting hulk and dispose of the rest.

Attached Files:

24. Muttley

Muttley

My Dad had a '64 Chevy pickup like that about twenty years ago. Somewhere along the line it had been converted from a three on the tree to an automatic, instead of removing the clutch pedal they just decided to make the brake pedal twice as big. That wiring job is a recipe for disaster, rip it all out and start from scratch.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I remember VW automatics from the 1970s with dual pedals like that.

26. Almost finished stripping the parts car out, got the front wiring harnesses and surprisingly they are in good shape, a correct brake pedal, dome light, and all the steering components that belong under the car. looks like between this the Cadillac and my wife's Studebaker I'll have plenty to do this winter.

27. It has taken a while, but I've got it cleaned up, stripped the wad of wire out of it and started putting the correct looms in, replaced the 8.8 rear axle with the proper axle for the car, and installed the correct steering gear and steering linkage along with new upper and lower control arns and ball joints.
    2014_1207(009).JPG 2014_1207(008).JPG

Stripping the four previous paint jobs off is going to take a while.

28. Stripping paint, what a mess.
    2017.JPG

29. I know it was a while ago, but I don't see where it was mentioned/addressed. Post 16, the 3rd pic. The brake proportioning valve is higher than the master cylinder. I thought that was bad juju.

30. Thanks for noticing. Everything about this car is juju, all that and much more has been or is in the process of being set back to stock. The brakes are drum/drum so that valve is really not needed, it's in my scrap pile now along with the too wide shoes and mismatched drums and all the six cylinder suspension parts.