Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Auderer Roadster: Part 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Auderer Roadster: Part 3

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Blue One likes this.
  2. This is sure to be good. Pretty cool to see the car documented through each stage and then follow along as the latest version comes together!

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Typically, I like to do these build threads in real time. Usually, I go out in the shop, take some images, and come right into the office to upload and update the build thread.

However, the day that Brian's car arrived I was struck down from an incredible tooth ache... I was then sent to an oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth removed (all of them) which, in turn, lead to some complications. So, for the first two or so weeks of this build I was either in some gnarly pain or hopped up on enough pain medicine to kill a horse.

In any case, the point is... I'm back tracking a bit here. And these photos might not quite be up to my normal standards as when I took them, I honestly thought I was a war correspondent covering the construction of a drone being readied to attack the rebels. Fuckin rebels...

Anyway, while Keith waited for motor parts he decided to attack the dash. The dash that was in the car was just a flat piece of aluminum. It was huge and kind of awkward. Check it out:

25.jpg

Easy enough fix though, right? Keith ordered up a reproduction '32 dash and had it in in short order:

27.jpg

26.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

So much better...

mctim64, Blue One, RoadFarmer and 5 others like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Besides the leak, I bet that flatty really rattled with all those bolts in hole number seven.

RICH B and blue57ford like this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Proportionally, another problem the car had was that the windshield was just too damned tall. You can visualize the issue from this old image of version one of the car:

[​IMG]

So, the obvious issue is to chop the damned thing. Unfortunately, I was under the knife when Keith did that and didn't get any progress shots at all. When I finally did get out to the shop is when my battle with the rebels got really heated... I was certain that I was dodging bullets while taking these images of the final product:

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Nice and tidy now...

RAZIN CAIN, mctim64, Blue One and 8 others like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Keith did some other detail work as well, but again - I had an excused absence. But that pretty much gets us caught up.

Today, Keith is tackling another visual oddity. When this car was channeled years and years ago, the builder just welded a piece of sheet metal to bottom of the body and then rolled it under the car - giving the car an odd "rolled pan" all the way around.

Now, Keith could take the body off, cut rolled steel out and start over... But in a weird way, that would kind of destroy the personality of the car. So, it was decided that he would keep this historical work and he's now building an exhaust system to kind of disguise the rolled steel from a profile view.

34.jpg

35.jpg

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Anyway, that's where we are now... And I'm really starting to fall in love with this little roadster. It's hard to explain, but it really feels like a race car. And I love me some race cars...

Updates will now be more regular.

Dan Hay and volvobrynk like this.
  8. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Awesome! I love the Tardel build threads.

9. JJK

JJK

Such a cool little car with so much local history, glad to see its getting attention after years of service. Any plans on making the trunk operational or will it remain sealed?

10. catdad49

catdad49

Nice!! My next question is, do you feel less wise than before?! I know you'll keep us posted, so please carry on, Carp

11. louisb

louisb

Okay, my favorite build so far. The other two have been great but this little rough and ready roadster really speaks to me.

Thanks,

--louis

12. jeta12

jeta12

Thank you.....Love watching!!!

13. BLAKE

BLAKE

Cool stuff!

14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I've always liked this car. Some of my favorite pictures I took of it are from the Revolution at the power plant. It's amazing though how much better it looks with just a new dash and windshield chop!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  15. bondolero

bondolero

How about a shot of that 56 hauler on the commercial thread ?

16. I am really liking the proportions, it reminds me of George Zaft's A roadster from the early 50s.

I do have to ask, is the grille insert going to be replaced with a stock insert? As cool as the aluminium grille is it detracts from the car and looks out of place on what to me looks like an early to mid 50s roadster.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good question. I think B is emotionally attached to the insert...

What I think we should do is put a regular insert in the shell and then fab up a way to clip on the "holy" insert. That way, you can run both.

cactus1 likes this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I like that last idea. The renovation looks to be coming along nicely. Good Job Keith!!!!

19. That would be a great look, like Frank "Ike" Iacono did on his drag coupe.

jpb-santa-ana-drags-023.jpg

dana barlow and cactus1 like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. Subscribed and I look forward to the progress updates...

22. It is looking better already!

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

if you hadn't asked, I was gonna...needs a stock insert

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. louisb

louisb

I like the grill insert. Gives it character. He decides not to use it I would be interested for my A.

--louis

25. Lookin' like a nice turn-around for the roadster. Rexroddin'! I'll be checkin' the progress, thanks for the updates. Gettin' it down a bit and the 'bigs n' littles' are already helpin' a ton!

26. midcal48

midcal48
    from Hughson,CA

how much of a chop? thanks

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2.25 inches or so... Really just eyeballed it.

28. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

Looks great. I really like how more builds are being "featured", especially from the top notch inspirational builders the hamb gathers. Its a real education on how its done. Subscribed

daniel wilson likes this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So... Headers... Keith got the idea to build a set of ankle burner headers to kind of hide the body roll that happens at the bottom of the frame. Already posted this image, but for illustrative purposes:

[​IMG]

So, we need exhaust caps. Keith started with a wood buck the same diameter as the end of the exhaust bell:

36.jpg

He then welded in a mount:

37.jpg

38.jpg

And once done, we got:

39.jpg

Clean and flush... Elegant even... The wing nut is temporary as we are on the hunt for a period piece. I love the end result though...

Hotrodmyk and dana barlow like this.
  30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

If you're thinking of using a much bigger wing nut, the ones they used to hold down the back seat in VW buses work great. I used them on my roadster exhaust plugs and love the look of them. They are approx. 2" wide.
    (Example: http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage...rdware/wing-nut-middle-or-rear-seat-111881281 )

bct likes this.