Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

The Art of the Drop Top Chop... Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber
    from Moraga, Ca

2. truckjim

truckjim

Been to Tardel Ranch once. It's a must see for anyone passing thru Nor Cal. Put it on your to-do list!

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

I can't imagine chopping those top bowes... NIGHTMARE.

4. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

thanks for sharing!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I can't wait to see the finished product. It has been a while since I have seen the Carson style top on a 46-48.

6. Looking good! I want to do the same with my 41...chop it but keep the folding top. I'm watching and learning

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

first time I saw that car it was all stock and done. I assume you bought it that way? if so I wonder what the guy who restored it would have to say about your improvements.

8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great project and thanks for sharing. I see how the shape is developing but would like to see more detail of the the cuts and bends required. Will the top still fit into well?:)

9. For Chris, The 41' is all by itself but a book was put out "How to Chop Tops in 301 Photos" by Tim Remus. It has a section on the 41' convert. I followed the article and did mine over this past winter. Maybe you can find it on Amazon or e bay. PM me if need any more info.

Art

10. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man.. I love this stuff!

11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha, NE

this is the best way to improve a 39/40 merc drop top. I am also digging the old bmx bikes in the background

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Looks like he has the market cornered on Moto-Mags.Even the background is cool at his place.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

13. Awesome! Thanks man!!

14. creesto

creesto

Even at 51 yo this summer, I'd give 3 toes to be his wrench monkey for 4 months, without pay. Or maybe if I could get my hands on a brain leech and sneak it onto his head...

15. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

16. Django

Django