Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 50 Millionth GM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Jalopy Journal, Jan 19, 2012.

1. customcory

customcory

A guy that read about this on HAMB called my dad , thinking it was me, we have the same name.He was going to try to find it or buy it, seemed pretty serious.My dad told him where it was .I would like for it to come out of hiding!

2. Hotroddder

Hotroddder
    from Auburn, WA

I actually flew down to NC last summer to meet Bill and Judy At the time Bill was quite ill but seemed to maybe be recovering.

The golden car was for sale then, but the price was quite high for what was there. The original body had been destroyed several years in a fire, but since it was apart for restoration most if not all the parts were off. There was a frame numbered #20 and a vin tag numbered #3 I believe. Also pics of a third firewall tag as well as a photo copy of an aluminum plate that Bill found under the springs of the front seat that was cast I believe and stated "50 Millionth GM" on it. The documentation seemed convincing and he had written communications with GM over the years trying to prove this was the car. Price was 6 figures and out of my budget. I tried to find a buyer that would let me do the restoration, but all seemed to think the warts and risks were too big for the deal. I did get to buy some parts and had a good time picking pieces out of the buildings.

It was nice to meet Bill, Judy and one of the sons. I was sad to hear of his passing.

Hotroddder

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Wow. I wonder how many, if any of the 5000 cars produced for the dealers are still out there? And how many of them still have the gold paint? I've never seen one that color, it's really sharp. The tri fives have always been a favorite of mine.

4. Bringing this to the top.

Anyone have more details on the car itself? options, paint codes etc.

5. Model T1

Model T1

It will be soon the way our national Debt is going.
    I read most of this info before on the 55 Chevy but still interesting.

6. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Any updates on the 50 Millionth whereabouts?

7. Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

I'm a journalist and history buff originally from Flint, Michigan, doing research on this car's story. Would love to hear from someone with firsthand or secondhand knowledge about its fate. You can email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

8. BigBlockHead

BigBlockHead

pprather likes this.