Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2015 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The 2015 H.A.M.B. Drags

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

ryno, Lazy A, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  2. Enjoyed as much as ever, maybe more so! It started out wet but the temperature was down from usual which made it nice. I have to admit we were wondering about possible cancellation when we were sitting in our room debating about trying to get to the track. Awesome job by all: Journal staff, track staff, etc. I think the additional food/drink vendors helped too, that cut down on the lines there. Already looking forward to next year.

3. BLAKE

BLAKE

Heckuva weekend, Boss! Moving the band right up to the hotel's front door...? GENIUS!

Lazy A likes this.
  4. bondolero

bondolero

The Candies and Hughes truck with the B roadster sitting next to it says it all.

Lazy A likes this.

5. KCsledz

KCsledz

Another great event Ryan. Thanks to all the guys racing for sticking through the weather and putting up such a fight on the strip.

6. ryan-o

ryan-o

It was a great time! Glad to finally meet you, Ryan!

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Adversity builds character don't ya know!?
    With as many moving parts as the Drags has I don't see how it runs as smooth as it does every year.
    It just seems to take on a life of its own every year and each year is a unique and wonderful experience.
    I think I have missed four years and the "we're all in this together" mentality of everyone from you Ryan to the competitors, to the track crew to the spectators just seems to give this event the attitude that come hell or high water were gonna have FUN!
    Great Time! Many thanks from the Gordons.

Lazy A and KCsledz like this.
  8. flamingokid

flamingokid

Kind of a baptism of fire...er,rain ;)

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uh yeah... That was... Uh... totally planned beforehand...

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on another top notch event

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Glad you all got your runs in.

Sorry I missed it.

12. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Turned out to be another great Hamb Drags!

13. Damn that was fun! Next year, NOS skateboard and rubber band powered classes (since "rubber band technology has come so far!"-Willie)

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Fucking Willie kills me with a one liner of some sort every year.

And yeah, NOS skateboarding is the wave of the future.

15. Ryan as usual I had more fun than is legal. I even got to call a guy a bad name. :oops: :D

Mostly everyone that deserves my gratitude probably already knows it but just in case of you see someone who doesn't know make damned sure that they do for me, will ya.

Good friends good times if the track never dried out it would have still been worth the trip.

By the way if you ever get in a place where we are rooms short let me know I'll tell the people that can bunk together that they are. ;)

Edit damn it:

I am not sure how drying the track out even happened. I was expecting a car or two into the rail. Asphalt is like a sponge getting it dry enough to race on is nothing short of a miracle.

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

Also, at what other summer event can you buy cool, refreshing, pre-wetted t-shirts...!??! You blow my mind, Boss... like, way out there!

porknbeaner likes this.
  17. das858

das858

Thanks Ryan for not giving up, had a great time as usual! Like the beaner said an absolute miracle the race got in, traction was outstanding.

18. Through a spectator's eyes.
    I missed the first 2 years. Since then I've have perfect attendance. Each year after the race I tell everyone I see about the great time I just had. As the year goes by I'm asked "when's that race you always talk about this year?" I'm ready with a date as soon as I see it on the hamb. Every year I convince a few more to come.

This year was just as great as the past ones. Everything that could happen seemed to happen and you all pulled it off. I wouldn't expect anything less from Ryan and crew.

We rolled into Joplin late Friday afternoon and checked in grabbed a bite to eat and headed over to look at the cars. I was surprised to see how the spelling of HAMB was reduced to HAM at the Convention Center where tech is usually done. Then I see a sign that tells HAMB Racers to park at the hotel parking lots? So with some new folks in tow we headed over to the hotel parking lots and checked out the cars and eventually ran into someone who told me about the cluster. Everyone we brought enjoyed walking the parking lots.

Saturday morning WOW! Again with first timers, I assured them everything would be fine. Let's eat and head for the track. Drove through some serious rain. Closer we got the better the sky looked. Got in line waited for a bit and we headed to the spectator side set up the canopy and in less than 10 minutes we were getting some rain.

The next thing I heard was "will they move the race to tomorrow?". Feeling like I had a hand in the decision I told them, "nope they are going to race today". According to my phone the rain should gone before noon. Now I'll grant you I have trouble making phone calls with this phone. Ok, so it quits raining, the track will be too wet was the next questions. I told them" I've been here before when it's rained and they can get it done". They all stayed put, not sure why they would listen to me , but they stayed.

They were sure glad they stayed as we watched the last cars run down the strip. The HAMB Drags will have some veteran spectators return next year.

Recruiting new spectators can be a challenge without a good experience to share. Retaining spectators is a challenge without a good experience to share.

Ryan and his crew pulled this one off as if there was nothing to it. We will be back next year. The HAMB Drags is a GREAT experience year after year.

THANKS!

Lazy A and Sancho like this.
  19. LOL I got to give it Kieth to ya you're hard core. Most folks on the spectator end if it would have packed it in. That said it seems like we have some of the best (and most knowledgeable) spectators in the scene.

I think that sometimes we as racers fore get to thank those who come to watch.

Sancho likes this.
  20. Malcolm likes this.
  21. raven

raven

That little blue A roadster that had the flathead stuffed under the cowl was one of the coolest pieces there ever.
    Rain, well all I have to say is "I drove the roadster". Everyone who knows me knows what that means. After dealing with a tranny that wasn't wanting to cooperate and keep it's fluid to its' self all day Friday, we stayed up late and benched-raced with friends. as we are walking in to go to bed, I said out loud, "should I cover the roadster?". Naw man, I checked the forecast and it's all clear was the rely. 5 am I wake up to rumbling outside. Man theya re starting the cars up early today I thought. Then the flashing came in through the window. Photo shoot this early?
    then it dawns on me...I run out to cover an already drenched car.
    Saturday night was real late. I check the sky as I'm walking in. Can't see anything. Figure that it won't rain again and go to sleep (4 am). 5:10 I hear rumbling outside followed by flashing...again. I go outside and cover my drenched roadster, all the time telling myself that I am so tired of this crap.
    That is what it means to drive my roadster.
    Just think, the boss pulled of another HAMB drags flying the perverbial one-fingerd-salute to the rain gods.
    That's cool.
    r

22. Brandi

Brandi

My favorite weekend of the year!

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

You pulled off another great event, Ryan/family, Ryno, Carl and the Mokan crew. I know the Omaha group had a great time and we were able to get a few passes in, even starting a few hours later than usual.
    Thanks to all of you for your hard work!

24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Ryan,

If it helps make it worth it... a 10 year old boy got to experience his first drag races Saturday. He saw his first Gassers, his first FEDs, breathed in his first race gas fumes, choked on his first tire smoke. He learned that a slingshot dragster driver rested his balls on a differential as he rushes down the strip, learned that tires swelled in diameter during a burnout due to centrifugal force. He learned how a Christmas tree works, and why it was important to get a good light if you are evenly matched. He learned a bunch of really cool shit that most 10 year old boys will never know.

He decided on the way home that he was going to race cars some day just like those guys. He asked me to take route 66 home, avoiding the interstate as we had avoided all other things modern on that day, and we spent the trip home talking about old cars and old family that raced them.

I know it was a memorable day for him, and it certainly was for me. Thanks for taking the time and effort to slog through the challenges and difficulties to put on the drags so my son could have that day.

25. atomickustom

atomickustom

That is awesome, Nostrebor!

26. das858

das858

27. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did I miss a post on the "CUP" ??
    Who one and how fast etc. etc. etc.??

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

who owns the Kansas Tornado?...need to talk to him

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. JimSibley

JimSibley

Damn it. I assumed that the drags would be in Texas or Iowa or some place I couldn't get to. They were in my own back yard! I'm an idiot.

30. LOL look who you asked. I mean hell I know that guy and he spent time talking to a very old friend ( long time not old) then apologized to her the next day for not taking time to chat with her. :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015