Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2009 H.A.M.B. Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2009.

1. silverdome

silverdome

This was my fourth in a row/total H.A.M.B. drags. There were more people there than I had ever seen. And as ZMAN put it maybe good maybe bad. It is scary when things get so big. Just remember Ryan you always have people here to help no questions asked because we believe in what you're doing.

Thanks ZMAN for helping me find the VAGABONDS putting on the feeding of the masses.

My wife, friends and I had a great time at the hotel, our first time for that event and we plan on attending next year as well.

Hopefully I will have a car that is worthy of this event ready for next year.

Later, Silverdome

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

So who took this pic? Anyone know?

3. Rusty

Rusty

The best one yet!!!!!! Did it really have to be over

Good times!!!!!!!!

4. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

5. Crease

Crease

If I was you, I would have a bill board in my yard tomorrow! You gotta be proud of that!

6. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Seriously Doooood..

I saw two runs all day long. One was when you launched, and I do mean launch. You were completely off the ground and bounced a few times. I thought you were gonna use the guard rail to straighten out but you kept in it and kept on it.

It was then that I knew, I must have your baby....

The other run was when D.W. crapped the shaft. It took me a minute to realize it was his car.

I was already having his baby so you will have to wait til I heal.....

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  7. Marcy

Marcy

Haha so true. That run was way impressive---the bucking bronco action, front wheels off, rear wheels off, front wheels off.
    We were watching from behind the starting line and were amazed you kept it out of the wall.

Marcy

8. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Good to see you again also Marcy... we miss you at Dewey.

9. titus

titus

im going next year, for sure!

jeff

10. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Hey Root that would be me. I have a sequence on this pass. Actually in the air twice. I just haven't posted all of them.

11. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Root, heard rumor Bill Maverick is pissed at you.....

12. Plan it and they will come.....

We ain't even CLOSE to the entrance!
    Thanks Ryan and all the gang that made it happen!! Worth every minute and penny.
    [​IMG]

13. Forgot to mention, the above pic was taken right BEFORE 10am!!

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Hurry!

I swear I saw all four tires off the ground at the same time. It was a pass in the left lane and it was on the second wheel stand of the run. It was passed Jim and Erik Anderson, so I doubt they got it. Hopefully, somebody caught it on film or video.

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Again, maybe they should re-arrange the entrance for next year.

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I have his last run on video, Ill have to figure out how to post it on you tube or something.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... First time I've seen that perspective. Crazy.

I owe you fellas...

Next year there will undoubtedly be lines, but they won't be as long. Promise.

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

yep, and it looks like that treee line is where we went to the left, thru the cornfields, over the railroad tracks, made a hard right and down that gravel road for MILES.........I'd do ANYTHING to make it to the HAMB Drags.:D

Earl Schieb on the other hand might not be so happy after he sees all the chips and stars in the fenders.:eek:

19. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

Already done they are in my picture thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391642&page=3

And Ryan don't sweat it too much I know when I saw the line I knew what was at the end of it was worth waiting for. ;)

20. 35Hemi

35Hemi
    from Kansas

This was my first time drag racing at any event and I know some of you may scowl at the thought of a newbie heading down the track at the HAMB drags, but let me tell you I had THE TIME OF MY LIFE! Nothing car realated in all my life compares! I may have run like crap on the track but it doesn't beat the thrill you feel the first time you make a pass.

Thanks to Ryan and the crew for a weekend of memories that will last forever. It was first class.

I knew we were into something special with special people when we pulled into the Convention Center parking lot Friday afernoon and one of the Gizzle Hopper crew came and offered us free ice. Hospitality and we hadn't even unloaded the car yet! What a great group of HAMB members. My hat's off to all.

22. monsterflake

monsterflake

the lines add to the excitement! probably the only time i've ever been in traffic like that and not have anybody honkin' or cussin'...

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm just amazed... Seriously... I mean, you guys should have seen me that morning. I was screaming, cussing, running, etc... doing anything I could to get things moving faster.

I don't know how many people came up to me and was all, "Dude... Chill out... we are all on vacation. This is fun."

All I could think about was how in the world these people found it in themselves to NOT hate me after sitting on the highway for an hour. I was stressed.

I'm still amazed at the feedback. I was expecting it to be all bad.

The people saved this event man... Straight up... For the most part, folks didn't let anything get in their way from having a good time. Well, that... and the racing action was pretty incredible. As far as racing goes, I think this might have been one of the best drag races in a very long time.

In any case, thank you all... For everything... I'm humbled to say the least.

24. Codeman

Codeman
    from SE Mo

How could anybody hate you?! You are the reason we had this event to come to. Besides anticipation makes it better, its like foreplay. LOL

25. Dirk35

Dirk35

Ryan, it sounds like you could use a little In šāʾ Allāh (إن شاء الله) (Pronounce it "In shal la"). They got pleanty of it here. Perhaps I can bring you a liitle so youll worry less...... if I can ever get to a HAMB drags that is.................... :D

Thank you all for posting the picts.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep, the people definitely saved it. I'm sure you already got an earful of peoples gripes, I had/have mine, but after hanging out with a bunch of people they faded away. Being blocked in by a '06 Caddy when I went to line up to run down the track a second time sucked. And the guy in the Firebird convertable bitching at me because I parked to close to him in the pits. Well that's water under the bridge. I'm sure the changes you make for next year will address some of this stuff. As long as the Yay Hoos and the Vagabonds and a bunch of others are there I'll drive the 1100+ miles to hang out and get a couple runs.

And the guy in line that was bitching about driving 275 miles and maybe not being able to race, of course it all made sense when he asked what a HAMB name was.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  27. Marcy

Marcy

Dude, you worry too much...haha
    I didn't see a single person that wasn't smiling all day---seriously(except maybe the guy who took a swing at you)
    Feel good event of the year for sure---crazy busy but super chill all at the same time.

Marcy

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was sweating that railroad track MOUNTAIN and thought for sure I could not climb at that angle without doing some damage. I scraped so hard I stopped once at the top and over to make sure my oil and transmission pans were still there.:D

I'll take the HAMB Drags as foreplay every night of the week! :D

29. COS

COS
    from KCMO

This was my first one and hope not to miss another!! Drove down from KC Sat. morning and back the same day. I was plannig on running the ol sled down the track but it started making a noise I didn't like so I opted out... I hope to run it next year!! I gunning for the purple sled that was parked next to me it was cool seeing him run along with all the other great looking cars....

RYAN and crew thanks for a GREAT TIME!! It was like seeing Heaven for an afternoon!! Ya the lines where long here and there but heck I was having such a good time it didn't matter at all!! I don't see how it can get any better than it was weather/people/cars hell man I say it was perfect!!

-COS

P.S. Check out some vids of the drags... search cos1976 on youtube!!!

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and more....

Thanks man... nicely done...