Register now to get rid of these ads!

TH-350 wires coming from trans/starter area?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retiredfireguy, Apr 21, 2010.

1. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I have a Chev TH-350 that is going into a rod project. From the code, I think it might be a 1969 vintage, but it could be a 1979. There is a bundle of wires that comes from the transmission and starter, and then branches into two separate bundles. These wires have been chopped off and I have no idea where they originally went. One of the bundles has three wires, green, purple and pink. The other bundle has a pink wire, a black wire, a darkish blue wire, and two wires that are brown with a white stripe. Can anyone tell me which wire does what? Thanks for any info you have!

2. the starter on the th350 bolts to the block , so i'm not sure how wires could be coming from it...unless i read it wrong. is it still bolted to the engine?

pictures?

3. Got any pictures?

4. lorodz

lorodz

what are the wires attached to on the engine

5. There are NO WIRES on a TH 350

6. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Oops - Yes, the trans is attached to the engine. But the engine is newer, and none of the wires currently attach to anything on the top of the engine. The wires in question all originate down in the vicinity of the starter, although at least one of then is obviously attached to a terminal on the trans. Guess I should unwrap the bundle and actually trace each wire.

7. gwarren007

gwarren007

You didn't get a lockup transmission, did you?

8. lorodz

lorodz

just remove all the wires if your putting this motor and trans into another project there useless anyway ..

all you need as far as wiring goes is
    starter,alt,distributor ,wich you will have to re wire anyway .

9. woodman

woodman

a 350 could possibly have wires if it was wired for a trans brake.

10. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

At this point, I don't know what I have. I was told it was a TH-350 when I bought it. It was in a '69 Chev 1/2-ton pickup, but was bolted to an engine that is a post-'86 unit. The engine has an HEI distributor and an Edelbrock carb set-up, no FI.
    By the way, the engine is in my avatar picture, if that helps at all.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  11. lorodz

lorodz

are any of the wires connected to the trans if the answer is yes describe were they are coming from and what side they are coming from please ???

12. lorodz

lorodz

or take a picture so we can help you better .

13. Natedrag

Natedrag

Some th350s have a switch with wires that went to a solenoid on the engine that allowed vacuum advance in 3 gear only.

14. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

There is a bundle of wires, but only one appears to actually attach to the trans. Don't have a clue where the others go. That one attaches to what appears to be a sending unit. It is between the pan and the trans cooler lines, just forward of the dipstick tube. I will try to upload a picture.

15. lorodz

lorodz

sounds like an advance of somekind....
    pretty much remove all wires except that one...
    and the wires going to the starter everything else is junk

16. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if it has a wiring plug ,its a lockup trans.i had one in a jeep.had it modified so the lockup wasnt used....

17. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Tried three times. The picture file refuses to upload. Sorry.

18. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

The violet and pink, both go to the starter, the pink one ran to the coil and gave you 12 volts while cranking, the purple was the starter relay wire.

Green wire??? usually on a GM goes to temp sending unit but it's probably by your description going to the knock sensor if down in the water jacket.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  19. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Thank you, Trannyman.

20. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

If anyone is still interested...I unwound the wire bundle. What a cluster...1/2 mile of wire, covered with two miles of sticky tape. And sure enough, most of the wires didn't go anywhere. There was a violet-colored one going to the starter, and a black one going to that "sending unit" on the trans. All the others just ended or doubled-back into the bundle. I'm just glad I don't actually have to deal with them.

21. The one going to the trans "may" be for some old smog shit that triggered a solenoid to put vacuum to the vacuum advance on the distributor ONLY in high gear (70's era I think)

22. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

your sure its a th350? if it came with the 86 motor when that was swapped out it could be a 700r4 which will have a a plug harness on the driver side for torque converter lock up. But it sounds like you have a bundle of wires that went to the starter plus some others that might have just been attached there because thats where they routed them from the cab.

23. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

No harness on the driver side. Just the one wire on the passenger side. And I'm going to go with Groucho's idea...If that's what it is, then I don't think I have to worry about it, and I like not worrying.

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Th350's after 1981 had lock up converters..Could that be where the wires are coming from???

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup the TH350C. The "C" denotes a lockup torque converter. So yes, some TH350's have wires.
    [​IMG]

26. Look closely to the left of the pedal pivot and you'll see a blue 4-pin plug socket, if your trans has this,it's definately a TH350C with lock-up convertor.
    This one was in an '81 C3 Vette.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps

27. Natedrag

Natedrag

Wait a minute! You said-It is between the pan and the trans cooler lines, just forward of the dipstick tube. That's where the kickdown CABLE is! Is that what you're looking at?

28. Nvm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  29. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Nope and nope...This is a wire, and is just aft of the kickdown cable...And there is no blue socket that I can see.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I have no idea. How about a picture, and maybe one with the pan off, showing where that wire goes?