Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas title question with frame swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phlyntstone, Jul 15, 2012.

1. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

Hello
    I have a 1946 ford truck that I do not have a title for. It is basically only a body and frame. I also have a 1979 Chevy blazer that I was going to use the frame and put the 1946 Ford truck body on. My question is when completed is the truck going to be "legally" a 1979 blazer that looks like a 1946 Ford. Will my title for the blazer be good enough for a 1979 blazer chassis with a 46 ford body mounted on it. If anybody knows about this stuff I would really appreciate any advice.
    Thanks,
    Randy

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

I have known some guys to use s10 titles because they used the frame. I don't think they have had any trouble with it, but they have to pass inspection for the s10. I don't know of that's 100% legal though.

I have an s10 frame under my truck and I'm applying for a custom vehicle title and registration. I'll get new frame and engine numbers assigned and be 100% legal when I'm done.

3. rld14

rld14

Can't you get a bonded title in Texas for damn near anything?

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Have you talked to the DMV?

5. Larry T

Larry T

You might look into a "replica" title. Something new this year, when I checked with the Title office this spring they didn't know anything about it. But they probably do now. Otherwise you're stuck with a 2012 builders title, if you want to be legal.

Of course I could be wrong, I haven't titled a vehicle in a couple of years.

http://www.txdmv.gov/publications/bulletins/2012/004-12.htm

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  6. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

That's what I'm talking about. I apply for a "custom vehicle" title for my 55' Chevy panel, and my title will read "1955 Chevy 3100 Replica."

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

Because of the chop shops,, Texas passed a law that the vin number stamped on the frame will be the same on the title. So your Blazer frame will work as long as the numbers match.
    I would check with your county tax office to be on the safe side,, and keep it simple,, don't confuse them with any facts.

8. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I havent checked with the dmv or anything yet. I just didnt really know what I was looking for really since I would be building one truck out of two basically. The Blazer I have a clear title on, the ford I only have a bill of sale. I had heard somewhere about using an old body on a newer frame and since the older vehicles didnt have vin numbers it would be registered as the newer frame donor. Just thought I would ask here first and see if anyone had either been through this or had any advice. Thank ya'll for the info so far. I really appreciate it.

9. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

10. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

I have read about the replica title in Texas on posts that so far people are having a hard time with it because it is so new. Has anyone had any luck with it yet?

11. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

it is my understanding that you will be driving a 1979 blazer. and have to pass inspection based on 1979 standards.

12. Babyearl

Babyearl

This was my truck when I first built it,, on a 79 chev stepvan chassis. I put the Diamond T cab on and fabbed the bed. It was titled as a 79 Chev Step Van.

Attached Files:

13. amish451

amish451
    from Indiana

All most DMV really wants, in most cases, is cash (sales tax, title/tag-tax), so don't confuse them with details. I'd get the '79 Title up to date and in my name ASAP, buy tags for it too. The built truck will need to conform to '79 specs as far as emissions and safety issues (seat belts, safety glass, etc.) otherwise it's a '79 Blazer with some bodywork.
    My '28 Ford has had current tags for years even though it has not been on the road. A History is a wonderful thing in these matters; I always consider this stuff the most important part of any build, my Crosley behind the barn is up-to-date title-wise and has good tags even now.
    (I was fortunate in that both these cars came with good titles, I've not always been so lucky; Lord-help-you if your car visited Canada on the way to your shop)

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

How do you guys handle proving legal ownership of the older body when getting pulled over? The o/p has title to the Blazer chassis and bill of sale for the 46 pickup. We see many cars on S-10 chassis and lots of Mercs, etc. on late model GM chassis.

In my case, I have a 51 Merc body (minus cowl/VIN plate, etc.) w/o chassis (bought from a wrecking yard) that I'll eventually build. If I can't locate a titled original chassis and go with a late model chassis/title, what happens if the cops start asking about the lack of VIN on the Merc body? Is a bill of sale good enough?

15. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

The 79 blazer is in my name and has been since about 1992. The 46 ford truck/body is the one that I have only a bill of sale for. Like I had mentioned I had read about the replica title and it reads as though if I built truck, 46 ford body on a 79 chevy blazer frame I could have it titled as a "replica 1946 For 1/2 ton" truck. And it would only have to follow regulations from 1946. Curious if anyone is familiar with this and can enlighten me a little more. Also, how does one explain a 46 ford body to a cop or someone, when the papers call it a 1979 chevy blazer.
    Thanks, Randy

16. warrior1

warrior1

go to your county tax assessors office. they will give you a packet for an "assembled vehicle." here in fort worth you go to any county tax assessor or county court house to get the packet. i just called today for my own truck. ive got a late model chevy truck that will be mated with 36 body. it would be considered an assembled vehicle. they will assign you a vin.

17. Larry T

Larry T

Will it be registered as a 2012 vehicle?

18. warrior1

warrior1

not sure of the year it will be registered. i will be down there tomorrow and can tell you tomorrow morning.

19. phlyntstone

phlyntstone
    from Texas

Thanks guys for the help and info. I very interested in what Warrior finds out. Sounds like the same kind of thing I am looking for.

20. Once you register it as a blazer . You can have the vin verified and then have the title amended to what ever to truck looks like.

21. warrior1

warrior1

ok. here is what i found out for my situation. i want to put a 46 chevy cab on a 1986 chevy chassis. i will have to provide title for the chassis and bill of sale for the cab. i have 2 options in registering and titleing.

1. the truck will be titled as a 1986 truck with a new vin and a corresponding new vin plate stamped by the dmv and affixed to the new cab.

2. since my cab is a 46 i can apply for a "street rod" registration and the vehicle will receive a new vin, vin plate and will be titled as the year that the vehicle resembles. so it would be titled and registered as a 1946 chevy.

the "street rod" designation is for 48 and below, the "custom vehicle" designation is for a vehicle that is 25 years old but built after 1948. i.e. 1987-1949 vehicles

this is straight from the horses mouth. this is under the
    "Registration and Title Bulletin #004-12" link is below.

soooo. depending on the year of your vehicle you can have it titled in 1 of 3 ways.

here is the link to the dmv. hope this helps.

22. chevroletsarefun

chevroletsarefun

I don't mean to sound smart assed but I get very pissed feeding into the DMV now worried about the frame of all things. I got an unknown 68 frame somone gave me for my 69 pick-up in exchange for parts.... that I pieced together after driving this 69 pickup for years.Do I have stolen property? No. Is it a 68 or 69? I register to the vin plate, as per vin on the body it has always been mine. The original frame got twisted so I replaced it. Now if a crime lab pulls it apart and finds its not stolen will i ever get it back?... I also have the old 68 cab that came with it and its trim tags. Now lets say i keep the Vin Tag "with the frame which is NOW the truck" My understanding if I get pulled over and in an accident, that VIN on the trim tag BETTER match my registration, forget the frame, it will be all smashed under the body.
    Now to make it very screwed up, even if they run all numbers and see no intent to commit fraud or any stolen property, i decide to volunteer a very confusing story to the DMV i texas get a Texas assigned vin whhich could happen in the years to come with more sophistication of law and chop shops.... try transfering that to California if I had to ever move as they look at frame ect and expect receipts to confirm "I bought it all" even if no number comes up stolen, i'd end up with my driver parked. Seems like all of Hot Rodding is in deep doodoo. Alot of wasted bodies and frames that cant be used, and the hobby getting sparse. Keep changing laws and putting crap on the internet keeping all hotrodders up at night all confused. Chop shops will be restamping crap and dont follow no laws. I will be looking into getting a reassigned Texas ID fo my wheels down the road but for now IM enjoying it :)

23. chevroletsarefun

chevroletsarefun

yup just did a 68 camaro...... clear vin who cares if you replace the frame. If older than 55 and a serial number, who cares about an s10 frame. You got to know the paperwork and a good title service. The DMV people are far from lawyers, in most places they Google for answers, but a title service knows the letter of the law, not your DMV... It can not be registered within ten years or have a title on file, most pre 1982 vins are out of the system. I only go to the DMV first to run the VIN to make sure its clean

24. bigdav160

bigdav160

That's crazy talk. My congressman will get an earful from me. None of that makes sense.

Years ago, when I worked at the chevy dealer. We had a pile of truck frames out back. It seems that if a wreck put a big enough diamond in the frame it was cheaper to just replace it. Now those vehicles have potential problems?

IMO, the frame, engine ect is just another piece of the vehicle. Not any different that replacing the hood.

25. Larry T

Larry T

Before you jump on him read this. Deals with the new "replica title".

When it comes to dealing with bureauocrats, IMO doesn't get you very far.

Corrected Texas Title

If the customer currently has a title that indicates "ASVE" (Assembled) as the vehicle Make, the following documents must be submitted to obtain a title branded "REPLICA":

•Completed Form 130-U, Application for Texas Certificate of Title
    •Certificate of Title
    •Three photos of the replica (front, rear, one side) and one photo of the motor vehicle that it resembles
    •Form VTR-852, ASE Safety Inspection and Application for Custom Vehicle or Street Rod License Plates
    •Proof of liability insurance
    Note: Additional supporting documents may be required if previously titled out of state, or imported from a foreign country.
    Initial Application for Texas Title

If the customer is making initial application for title, the following must be submitted to title the replica vehicle:

•Ownership documents for each major component part (frame, motor and body)
    •Form VTR-61,Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
    •Verification of the serial number or VIN of each major component part (frame, motor and body). Acceptable verifications include pencil tracing or Form VTR-68-A.
    •Certified weight certificate
    •Completed Form 130-U,Application for Texas Certificate of Title
    •Three photos of the replica (front, rear, one side) and one photo of the motor vehicle that it resembles
    •Proof of liability insurance

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Doesn't the 46 Ford cab have the VIN stamped on the glovebox door data tag ??

I recall seeing one of those on a customer vehicle... and it was a factory data plate.

4TTRUK

27. Truckeez

Truckeez

So to try it from a different angle,, in texas. what if someone builds his own frame,--has H******** bend new rails, or buys new 35-40 frame rails and builds his own frame.
    who do we get the answer from at the DMV?

28. Truckeez

Truckeez

just like the old texas titling procedures book, the dmv website still has a lot of catch 22, the new stuff dosent have the... gotta get a notorized bill of sale to cover the axle engine NONSEnSE but there is still the,
    . antique and classic section
    .custom and streetrod section
    and at the bottom
    .rebuilt/ reconstructed section

with plenty of overlaping areas

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on what you want. Do you want a hot rod 46 Ford pickup or a redneck mudder with a 46 Ford pickup body scabbed on it? If your intent is to have it be a 4x4 with an early body on it and that is no way traditional, head on but it will not be a hot rod pickup. There is no free lunch in these deals and some times a guy has to jump through more flaming hoops than a half breed circus poodle if he wants to do it right.
    I live in a area where it is extremely common for guys to swap earlier truck (and car) bodies on 4x4 chassis after they bashed the body of the truck to the point it isn't recognizable and most don't turn out well as they are usually scabbed together.

30. txturbo

txturbo

title it as a 79 Blazer. You will be exempt from smog testing if you live in a smog check county because it is still over 25 years old. You will only be required to pass a safety inspection.