Register now to get rid of these ads!

teflon tape vs. gasoline question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, May 12, 2008.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes it is funny but good for you, you read the thread...:)

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes, so they say...

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, they say, and so do I. The stuff is amazing, I have some and have used it. Gasoline, even with ethanol won't touch it.
    It works.

4. slymancant

slymancant

Hi all! Sorry to dig this up again. Bad form, especially as a new member - but I read through this, and holding my tongue may very well cause me an aneurysm.

dustyrustee, you should have taken that bet.

I have a roll of that yellow telfon it in my toolbox, too. It don't say 'gasoline', it says 'gasline'
    It's the exact same PTFE as the blue roll, just a higher density tape.

5. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Thought I would add this in case anyone decides to use it for their oxygen cylinders or torches.
    Normal PTFE tape is not safe with oxygen as it contains oil and may spontaneously burn with an explosive force.

6. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Permetex #2 Aviation sealer

7. Oh Man ,I wanted to see if sinistercustom was still taking the subject personally , damn these old threads .LOL

8. cretin

cretin

I have always felt that this was a myth. I have used teflon tape on fuel fittings for years, and it has never been an issue. So, I did what was suggested earlier in this thread. I took some tape and put it in a cup of gasoline. I let it sit overnight, and the gas had no effect on the tape.

9. I just looked on the side of a roll of yellow teflon tape and it says "for use with all hydrocarbon fuels" - which is gasoline.

10. 55willys

55willys

11. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Tape should never be used in aviation apps... pieces have broke off, entered the carb and causing fuel stoppage. As you might imagine there is no pulling off to the side of the road.in an aircraft.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Since coming out of retirement, I work in an industry dealing with the transporting of hydrocarbons. The yellow tape is accepted by the FRA as a sealant, as well as Gasoila mentioned above. This shit's gotta be sealed, period. If a leak is detected, someone's sack is one the line. Real bad things can happen...

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Teflon tape is for plumbers - professional sealers are for gearheads end of story

DND