Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tech Week !!! Hot Rod Suspension Simplified!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada

Is there any chance of getting a copy of the dimensions of the crossmembers that your buddy Chopper Bob got to work on Solidworks, designing the mounts and then he plugged in to his Plasmacam. Just what I'm looking for. I have the guy with the Plasama cuter just need the plans, Thanks for reading.

vadstena bil likes this.
  2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Older thread, but I'm about to build a suspension like this in my '33... Just curious if '37 Ford radius rods are suitable for this, or if I should try to find some '35/'36 radius rods?

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Maybe I should just start a new thread and ask?

4. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada

I would use the 35-36 rods, cut the ends off (use as rear top shock mounts) 35-36 are the heavies and strongest, I will see if I can find the thread I am talking about.

5. Boomchain

Boomchain
    from Canada

6. Henry did a great job on the initial design and its great to see how you're using it as well!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boomchain likes this.
  8. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just stumpled across this post. I would like to try something like this but extend the front wishbone ball mount further back on the chassis. This would allow me get it away from my sbc bell housing and tuck it up under the car. I should also mention that I have a 4" stepped frame up front. From basic mockup things look promising however I would also like to run cowl steering. Research has told me that cowl steering requires a close to equal length steering/wishbone arms in order to avoid bumpsteer issues. The thing is I have only found cowl steering setup on split bone cars. Is bumpsteer an issue when cowl steering is paired with a unsplit wishbone if the lengths are not close in measurement?

9. Phffftttt !!!! This is awesome ! Old and "knew" to me ... wish I knew that is. Great post Sam. Thank you.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Great thread!

11. Brent Story

Brent Story

I know this is a super old thread. Just wanted to show what we are doing on my rear suspension. I saw this and thought I would post because I am doing it for the intentions as OP mentioned. Super low sedan with two small rear seats for my kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48fordnut likes this.
  12. Looks a bit different than what OP was doing. What's the plan?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. Pete

Pete

Mr. Sam

Fantastic thread with great photos.

14. Thanks guys! I have tons of miles on the car... with no issues.

The only thing I would do differently is to use a rebuildable "Johnny Joint" from Currie instead of the ford ball and socket. We did this on my buddies roadster and it turned out awesome. I know the old Ford ball and rubber fixer dealie will eventually wear out... and a Johnny Joint would be good for life.

Sam

Johnny Joint.jpg

fauj and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Pete

Pete

Huh.... Never seen one of them there Johnny joints?...

16. oldsman41

oldsman41

I really think this needs to go back up its been awhile and a lot of new guys

17. 97

waste of time most of the pictures don't work

18. atch

atch

Interesting. Every one of them showed up for me.

19. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ For me as well.

20. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

All the pictures work for me but I don't understand what the (# numbers) mean.
    (Henry Ford’s original design “triangulated” the front and rear axles.)

21. atch

atch

For some reason apostrophes sometimes show up as #8217; or something similar. Mentally change those to apostrophes and you'll be golden. i.e., "Henry Ford’s original design" becomes "Henry Ford's original design".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    jeepsterhemi likes this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Thanks, helps a lot.

23. fortynut

fortynut

Lots of excellent thinking and fan work, here; I also have always been impressed by how Jake Jacobs went about it. While his system does not use a ball, it follows the geometry and his bars are strong enough for serious horsepower. Your version is one of the best that follows Henry Ford's original plan. In the text, no mention is made of the steering box, that implies you used cross steering.

24. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bttt for a Excellent tech post

25. 97

The pics are back for me, but I wasn't the only one who couldn't see pictures on old threads. I guess it was a pic storage and recovery issue, it now seems to be resolved. For over a year P bucket pics were just a redex to myself and a lot of others.

26. 97

Now that pics are back, the cross steering can be seen in the first two pics in post 2.

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hmmm, no pics for me, except for the Johnny Joint above on this page. What's up with that?

28. czydave

czydave

I just ran across this post as I'm having clearance issues with the bell housing on my A model I'm building ...I have several questions about what you did in the front ... What Y ball mount did you use it looks wider and also how you made the Johnny Joint work in place of the ball anyway you could answer these for me

29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Sam, and all for pics and comments.

Thanks,

jim