Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Week! Homemade beadroller dies for 51' Shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Finnrodder, Mar 4, 2011.

1. chevy3755

chevy3755

nice job on the dies..........

2. Might be able to help you ANdrew, let me know what you need buddy!

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thank you guys!

I dont think the bead must be really wide,these dies are just matching the factory beads.Makes fixing crappy 51' pans a lot easier..
    You should search other threads,where are shown beads made by narrower dies,just to get idea what to look for.
    So,my opinion is that narrow dies work too.Good luck!

4. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

the floor pan i have / factory pan i have, have wide beats . so i will have to make the same since i want to make it as id was done in soviet 1965

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hm...Okey,soviet vehicles arent familiar to me,but Finnish army had UAZ's SUV's and soviet made trucks when i was in the army 14 yrs ago.Nowadays they have mostly Landrover Defenders and i guess most trucks are replaced with modern models too.
    I remember that we have Gaz truck,which was full of radio equipment.It looked like it was made in 60's,but it was made in 1987:D
    I guess they havent change much design for those trucks for a while..
    Well,good luck with your project!

6. Very nice - beats the simple 1/2 round beads that the roller form with the stock dies.

Steve

7. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

ok i have a frend who was in the finnish army and he vas driving these uaz 469 suv my gaz 69 is what was made before that .

8. 35desoto

35desoto

Narrow or wide its the process of changing the metals form that gives it strenght. Your wide ones are better on a larger area while the narrow ones suit tighter spots or where there are a larger number of beads within a given distance. If you had used 20gauge (1mm) metal you would still get a good strong floor - the choice of 1.2m or 18 gauge commendable. Its the process of changing the shape into the beads thats stops the flexing of the flat panel and gives the floor its strenght using a lighter weight product than say a piece of metal 2mm thick.

And thanks for sharing the plans of the bead rollers - trust the HAMB to provide a good source of info.

9. that looks sweet.....i have that same HF roller what thickness plate did you weld to it to stiffen it up? i like that idea

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I use 18 gauge(1,25 mm) for everything when we are talking sheetmetal stuff for cars,the floors are 18 gauge.I didnt measure the thickness of the aftermarket floorbraces,where the pans are welded,but i think they are 18 gauge too.
    Thank you guys for your words!

11. studeboy

studeboy

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,Lazze is the man.
    I thought that too at first,but doing wide panels with method like that you have to own a beadroller with really deep throat.And i dont,so...

13. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

where is lazze located in the world , and is he from sweden ore som other non english speaking country his english is almost as strange as mine ;):D

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

He is from Sweden and he lives in states.

http://www.lazzemetalshaping.com/

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Lasse is from Ludvika in Dalarna
    Before he moved to US lived he in Varberg only 30km [19 mile] from me

16. jessicakirby

jessicakirby
    from oregon

Im new here me and me and the better half have a 1950 ford coupe well mainly his lol. Anyhow I just want to thank you for putting this print out it was very useful. I made the dies for our bead roller and your prints made it so much easyier lol. Thanks again for the share.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to hear that the dies were useful for you.49' and 50's got a different style beads on the floors than 51's.But i guess that doesnt matter if you are building completely new floor pans.

18. Jaboh

Jaboh

Where did you get the metal to fab the die? $$

19. Jaboh

Jaboh

20. I made these a couple of years ago, they don't fit your daddies bead roller! 4" dia. 11" long. needed 3 rollers so I could use them like a slip roll to form a radius

Attached Files:

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice looking dies,Wolfcreek-Steve!
    I used mild steel on these dies,so far they have worked great.But i guess they will worn out at some point.I think i'll make version 2.0 from harder material.