Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Tip 309... Rusty Screw Removal Made Easy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I have been trying to remove the hinge screws on my Stude truck cab with no luck when Chaz sent me the link to this thread. Stude trucks have a large fine thread slot head screw in the hinges

Attached Files:

2. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

The head on these screws is 5/8 inches wide. well I thought, why not just grind the chisle bit for my air chisle down to fit the screw? I also had no welder to attach a handle to the bit, plus the fact that I did not think a fixed handle would work in a tight space.
    My solution was to use some vise grips on the bit to turn it

Attached Files:

• bit.jpg
      bit.jpg
      File size:
      27.3 KB
      Views:
    • tool.jpg
      tool.jpg
      File size:
      17.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

This worked to a point on the top hinge but I found with the vibration that the vise grips slipped and you need a steady turn to loosen these things.
    I then ground flat spots on four sides of the bit shaft to get a better grip,
    This worked for awhile, then I discovered that the flat sides I made fit a 5/8 open end wrench perfectly, this gave me steady turning pressure.
    Believe me these things were stubborn, but with steady pressure plus the ratt a tatting of the impact they eventually turned loose. The other thing neat about this is that if the bit starts to slip a little just use the chissleing action without turning to reset the bit into the head of the screw

Attached Files:

4. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

correction the open end wrench that fit the shaft was 7/16 not 5/8

Also the bottom hinge on Stude trucks has a 90 in it and the last screw mounts verticle thru the step. This is the only one that is still giving me trouble cause it seems they are not captured nuts, so it seemed like they were loose but the whole thing was turning,. There is a hole to reach these with a socket, so I think if I get someone to hold the socket we can either get these loose or just break them off. Overall this system worked great and /i thank Sam for posting it and Dodgerodder for bringin it back to the top to be found. This place is just amazing

Attached Files:

5. rev383

rev383

This is easily tip number 1 in my book.... it works too well. THANKS!!!!!

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

great tip!! thanks

7. What timing! I just broke a few tips removing screws from rear drums on an old Spitfire roadster. {It will be sold to pay for some machine tools} That tool may have saved a bunch of time. Guess I'll build one soon.
    Thanks, Sam!

8. rev383

rev383

I was rummageing around Home Depot last night and found a set of three 3/8 extensions with a positive retention feature on the end. I'll machine the end down to fit in my air hammer and attach a handle. Will look and work a little more pro. My 5 minute fab job will look good hanging on my tool wall and still get used.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ has various bits for most types of screws, along with every kind of screw, nut, bushing, assorted hardware, tools and equipment we could need. I buy tons of stuff for work and usually have what I ordered the next day. They define customer service. I'm ordering clutch tips tonight to start on those screws next.

Thank for wisdom and kicking this off!!! Cross pollination across various industries is great.

9. huh..

hmm..

I'll be damned..

Awesome idea! I have a lotta spare air hammer shit, I'm gonna have to make one of these asap.

[​IMG]

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great idea, got to make me one.

11. 50shoe

50shoe

I have to bump this thread up. I was fighting my shoebox door hinge screws on weds night, 2 screws removed in 2 hours with the old impact driver. :(

came inside, pissed off and found this thread.

$25 air hammer and a $10 at the depot this am and in 2 hours I had my tool welded up and 16 screws removed, I can not believe how well this works!!!!!!!

anybody used it on hed bolts/nuts? just weld a 3/8 socket adapter in place of the 3/8 of 5/16 socket?

any how now I can adjust my doors!!!!

viva la HAMB!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn I wish I had seen this earlier this week.

13. Haywood

Haywood
    from M'boro,TN

What's the chances this would work on clutch-head screws???

I HATE those bastards!!!!:rolleyes:

14. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

It will probably work just as well, you will just have to make the bit, nice thing about it is you can put alot of pressure on i.

15. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

great idea.. makin' one tonite.... another old trick for stuck fasteners of all description is to put some (not a lot) of heat to the head, remove heat, apply paraffin wax... the liquid wax will flow down the fastener and work as a lubricant when you attempt to remove... :D

16. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Weird that this thread popped up again. Last week I again used the tool that I made after Sam 1st posted it. And just this week I was trying to explain to another Hamber over the phone what the tool looked like.

Still one of the best tricks I've seen on the HAMB.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great info-Thanks

18. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

I made one too and used it on 3 sets of hinges so far. Works slicker than shit. Excellent tech!

19. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Works slicker than sheeeeeeeet........Rich

20. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Great tip. THANKS!!!

21. 18n57

18n57

I had never seen this thread, but I'm gonna go home and make one...!!! Thanks jalopy Joker..!!

22. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Those things have been around the aircraft industry since i started working on aircraft in 1970, you should have got one 999 screws ago.

23. Made one on Saturday, using a 1/2" socket adapter on the end and a piece of a ubolt for the handle. Now I can swap tips and the bend in the handle is nice and comfy on my girlyman hands :D

Worked like a freakin' charm...

[​IMG]

24. pardner

pardner

Awesome tip! Thanks for all of the modifications and suggestions as well.

25. spooler41

spooler41

I built one of these about 5 years ago,used a 1/4" extension so I could 1/4" socket to run
    1/4' screw driver bits. this bad boy saved my butt many,many times. I also did the same a 1/2'' drive extension, and it works as well as the small one.

..................Jack

26. norms30a

norms30a

Here's mine.Stumbled across the thread about 6 months ago.

Attached Files:

• 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      413.8 KB
      Views:
  27. flypa38

flypa38

28. rschilp

rschilp

Made one yesterday to remove some huge flathead screws from a Jaguar e-type conv left outside for numerous years.

Wow what a great tool

29. Moes49f1

Moes49f1
    from AZ

Thanks for the tip... I will be making one in the next day or two...