Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: How to build nerf bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Mar 8, 2008.

1. They look great. My welder friend bent mine cold with a bending jig he has mounted to the floor. I used 5/8's all the way cause he that in stock and it was free. Jig are tool has a long handle and different size dies for bending tube are round stock.

2. Tin Can

Tin Can

Nice tech. Like the nerfs

3. Dan, your work is more and more outstanding all the time.

4. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

hahaha Sorry...

I got to say I was so stoked when I won that on Epay... I think my max bid was 1000.00
    I really wanted it... It was off an old Hot Rod and the chrome is shitty but its old Chrome
    and boy I love me old chrome...

it's weird behind the plate it looks like it had 2 lights
    and maybe a club plaque in between them... theres definatlly no way a normal plate was mounted on there,,, when I found the 50 Buick tail lights I knew that those were what needed to be behind it they were just perfect...

Nerf bars RULE...

5. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Excellent work !, Thanks for sharing your tech with the steps and photos !!

6. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

what are you using for your taglight/holder? Excellent tech...

7. evilgenius

evilgenius

good god that is nice work.

8. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

That thing was made to use with those taillights. I wonder what kind of car it was built for originally? That thing couldn't have worked out better for you-I like the mounts on the frame for it too. I wish somebody could invent a new chrome process that gave it that look of an og chrome job. I guess that's one of those things you can't really fake though.

What's up Richard?? Thanks man, I appreciate! I actually think that I am just getting better at taking pictures:p. Seriously though, that is the coolest thing about this hobby-every day is a learning experience, always room to improve

It is an old one my pops had, but they are available now thru Bob Drake as repops-they are real cool & simple looking I think. Here's a link to the new ones:
    http://store.bobdrake.com/19licplatlig9.html

9. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

This is a really great tech. Great fab skills too. I was looking at the truck and trying to see how you did the rear suspension and frame. Do you have any pictures of that?

Very good looking truck (you should do a tech article on how you are making the top with the blue tape as a guide, that looks very worthy of tech here).

10. sutliff fire

sutliff fire

great bars, great tech

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man, here is a link with rear frame pics:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240412

The top still needs lots of tweaking & fitting, but the tape did help give a good idea of the overall shape. I have seen threads with guys using plastic sheeting and similar things to see the tops shape too. Once I get to the point of fitting the bows I could show some pics of that for sure.

12. Ultra kool....nice welding. I must try heating up my shit before laying welds and see how they come out.

Thanx for sharing....

Rat

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great stuff Thanks